U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 11:16 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,195,708 times

Advertisements

I love this thread. But it does reinforce my assertion that CD needs a sarcasm font.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2017, 12:21 AM

18,547 posts, read 55,485,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0marvin0 View Post
I love this thread. But it does reinforce my assertion that CD needs a sarcasm font.
I think there are multiple founts of sarcasm on CD.

Old 03-08-2017, 05:15 AM

26,158 posts, read 15,749,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine
NASA get's screwed by the government more then we do.
Thats very sad to hear..... Maybe the GOVT doesnt want them telling things,who knows........

Old 03-08-2017, 03:14 PM

22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thats very sad to hear..... Maybe the GOVT doesnt want them telling things,who knows........
NASA itself is a government agency.
''What Is NASA?

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NASA was started in 1958 as a part of the United States government. NASA is in charge of U.S. science and technology that has to do with airplanes or space.''

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstu...s-nasa-k4.html

What possible reason could NASA have for conspiring to mislead the public regarding . . . ANYTHING? Can you think of a legitimate reason. A general mistrust of the government doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason.

Old 03-08-2017, 06:09 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,461,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
What possible reason could NASA have for conspiring to mislead the public regarding . . . ANYTHING? Can you think of a legitimate reason. A general mistrust of the government doesn't qualify as a legitimate reason.
Well, that's question, isn't it?

Why would NASA want to cover up the supposed fact that the Sun is 1 million miles away (or 1 billion miles away, or whatever distance the fevered minds of the "OMG, it's a conspiracy!" crowd thinks is being 'covered up') and so instead offers the supposedly-bogus number of 93 million miles") ?

Hello, conspiracists?

Bueller?

Anyone?

Of course, a coherent motive is rather critical for what would have to be such a vast and sweeping conspiracy as to even attempt to hide the Sun's true distance. And yet... nothing.

Then there's the minor problem that the means to independently verify/determine the distance to the Sun - the sort of mathematics that pretty much anyone who has ever gotten a degree in mathematics (and plenty of people who haven't) can manage, along with the sort of telescopes that are owned by hundreds of thousands if not millions of amateur astronomers world-wide - are widely available to the general public, to colleges and universities, to the other 200-odd countries in the world, and so forth.

So, aside from any remotely-logical motive, as well as a complete inability to prevent Joe-the-backyard-astronomer from calculating the distance to the Sun himself and thus exposing the truth, this conspiracy makes perfect sense.

Aside from that...

Old 03-08-2017, 08:58 PM

375 posts, read 188,606 times
How is it possible this thread has endured for five pages?

Some people have way too much time on their hands, or are overindulgent of trolls.

Both?

LOL

Old 03-08-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
How is it possible this thread has endured for five pages?

Some people have way too much time on their hands, or are overindulgent of trolls.

Both?

LOL
I'm still hoping the OP comes back and answers my question whether he actually believes the earth is flat as he indicated in post #22.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 PM

375 posts, read 188,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
NASA itself is a government agency.
''What Is NASA?

NASA stands for National Aeronautics and Space Administration. NASA was started in 1958 as a part of the United States government. NASA is in charge of U.S. science and technology that has to do with airplanes or space.''

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/forstu...s-nasa-k4.html

Don't get me wrong, I am a huge space and rocketry and NASA nerd, but I can think of many reasons they would deliberately mislead the public. They have done so many times. Anything that would justify extra research of spending or projects on their part would constitute for them plenty of reason to disseminate misinformation.

They did do continually throughout the cold war. By claiming the USSR was ahead of us in many categories. And that it loses a threat. They were not and did not.

They continually overstate the applicable usefulness to us the public from the stuff they discover during their projects. The ISS for example, has yielded badly anything of worth. Other than to show they can do it. Mars? Same deal. So what if they find microbial life? We already know its out there.

The space shuttle program was useless. And they lied about the info they had about those O Rings before the Challenger launched.

They have deliberately lied about being able to maybe....If they just have more time and money....Bring able to develop technology that can destroy a potentially deadly NEO. They really lied during the early days for the Space Race, when half the tickets we tested failed on the launch pad.

They lied about the innocence of Werner von Braun. That man was as guilty of condoning murder and genocide as Hitler. I can provide sources on that if you wish. Or on any of this.

My dad is retired NSA. I grew up listening to him and his buddies debunking various government misinformation.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-08-2017, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I am a huge space and rocketry and NASA nerd, but I can think of many reasons they would deliberately mislead the public. They have done so many times. Anything that would justify extra research of spending or projects on their part would constitute for them plenty of reason to disseminate misinformation.

They did do continually throughout the cold war. By claiming the USSR was ahead of us in many categories. And that it loses a threat. They were not and did not.

They continually overstate the applicable usefulness to us the public from the stuff they discover during their projects. The ISS for example, has yielded badly anything of worth. Other than to show they can do it. Mars? Same deal. So what if they find microbial life? We already know its out there.

The space shuttle program was useless. And they lied about the info they had about those O Rings before the Challenger launched.

They have deliberately lied about being able to maybe....If they just have more time and money....Bring able to develop technology that can destroy a potentially deadly NEO. They really lied during the early days for the Space Race, when half the tickets we tested failed on the launch pad.

They lied about the innocence of Werner von Braun. That man was as guilty of condoning murder and genocide as Hitler. I can provide sources on that if you wish. Or on any of this.

My dad is retired NSA. I grew up listening to him and his buddies debunking various government misinformation.

Hope this helps.
Actually, my question was meant to be rhetorical. I have a lot of respect for NASA and its mission.

And the space shuttle program was far from useless.

What The Space Shuttle Did For You

https://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle...its/index.html

Old 03-08-2017, 10:21 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
...My dad is retired NSA...
That doesn't make your opinions more credible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or