U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:16 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,058,057 times

Advertisements

No!

We should have drones prospecting the Moon controlled from Earth. Then material mined and processed there could be launched to Mars. Don't need to life so much stuff out of the deep gravity well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2017, 03:56 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
...Don't need to life so much stuff out of the deep gravity well.
What????

Old 04-07-2017, 08:25 PM

2,681 posts, read 1,257,513 times
No.
Too much risk, and Earth is a nice enough planet. I wouldn't mind visiting Mars if they put up more infrastructure there, but I don't know if they'll get that done within the next sixty years.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:49 PM

1,446 posts, read 1,058,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
What????
Sorry, retarded fingers. That was supposed to be LIFT not LIFE.

Old 05-01-2017, 06:29 AM

2,171 posts, read 1,522,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
No, nor would I want any of my tax money financing such a venture.

Keep the people, the money and the science on Earth and address what we have done here. "Colonizing" Mars to do what? The same loony destructiveness to another planet than we are doing to our own - different environment sure, but the same creatures with the same minds will be doing the same thing to it.
This.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:39 PM

99 posts, read 49,078 times
Sure, with a group of sex bots, utility robots, vast internet dumps including movies and tv, youtube, and so on. Also, a small gym, decent food and garden, library, programming and tech tools, space ATVs to play around with and the usual.

Old 05-04-2017, 08:55 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,461,408 times
No.

But I'm breathlessly awaiting selfies snapped in front of Hard Rock Cafe Olympus Mons!

The year 2067:
"Tom Brady III, you just led the London Beefeaters to a World Bowl victory over the Sydney Sharks! What are you going to do next?"
"I'm going to Mars Disney!"

Old 05-06-2017, 05:07 AM

194 posts, read 205,777 times
Disregarding boredom and loneliness and the overall environment on Mars or just anywhere outside of Earth, if you live anywhere outside of Earth with a lower gravitational pull your bone density will decrease and weaken over time. Eventually it might get to the point where if you decide to return to Earth you'd be crushed by the Earth's gravity. You'd also be losing muscle strength and there'll be some big effects on your cardiovascular system as well.

That's one of a myriad of issues, of every kind, we'd have to face living away from Earth. Radiation, distance, environment etc. If even just going to a slightly higher altitude within the Earth's troposphere such as Mount Everest, or to somewhere less hospitable on the Earth's surface such the South Pole gives us so much difficulty, how are we ever going to manage living out of Earth without being eternally hooked on some form of mega advanced life support?

We all love those science fiction novels and films about how humans might eventually colonise the galaxy, but we're just designed to live in such a narrow set of conditions within Earth, that we take for granted, we'll never manage without some form of highly advanced alien technology, and probably some drastic biological modifications.

Here's hoping my answer to this thread is obvious by now

Last edited by ciTydude123; 05-06-2017 at 05:25 AM..

Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 PM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
If we live on the surface then we need life-support suits but if we live under the surface away from the harsh environment where humans cannot survive then there is no problem. Along with this we need unlimited power to develop the bases.

However, I believe we have all this stuff already, otherwise how do you explain the silent triangular and cigar-shaped craft then. I asked this earlier but no-one seems to take me seriously.

So obviously no-one knows anyone who has seen a strange craft in the sky? If so, you must be living on your own and staring at the ground all the time.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:29 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...no-one seems to take me seriously...
You answered your own question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or