U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2017, 11:24 PM

6,851 posts, read 6,740,930 times

Advertisements

How do you create artificial gravity?

I am watching The Expanse, and gravity is like the biggest thing. Earthers are stronger than Martians and Belters because they live in higher gravity. Martians and Belters cannot come to Earth without feeling extreme pain. Belters live in space, moons, asteroids with little gravity, and their bones dont develop properly, and this is causing some to have very bad health problems.

This has essentially created different races of Martians, Belters and Earthers, and they all hate each other because of their advantages or disadvantages.

Yet Belters are not just floating around, there is something holding them to the ground when they walk in enclosed spaces. Also Martian military personnel train in what is called 1G in preparation for fighting on Earth, but it apparently still does not help 100%.

Is it possibly to produce this effect of 1G in real life, and physically train in it? What if you train in higher "Gs"? Will it produce super athletes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2017, 11:01 AM

22,774 posts, read 17,250,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

I am watching The Expanse, and gravity is like the biggest thing. Earthers are stronger than Martians and Belters because they live in higher gravity. Martians and Belters cannot come to Earth without feeling extreme pain. Belters live in space, moons, asteroids with little gravity, and their bones dont develop properly, and this is causing some to have very bad health problems.

This has essentially created different races of Martians, Belters and Earthers, and they all hate each other because of their advantages or disadvantages.

Yet Belters are not just floating around, there is something holding them to the ground when they walk in enclosed spaces. Also Martian military personnel train in what is called 1G in preparation for fighting on Earth, but it apparently still does not help 100%.

Is it possibly to produce this effect of 1G in real life, and physically train in it? What if you train in higher "Gs"? Will it produce super athletes?
If it was possible to actually create artificial gravity like they do on Star Trek that would certainly come in handy for extended space travel. The closest thing to it that we can create (in principle) if not in present fact, is centrifugal force. If spaceships or space stations were designed so that the crew lived and worked on the interior hull of the ship, and the ship rotated at the right speed, centrifugal force would have the effect of gravity by keeping the crew held to the wall.

So centrifugal force can be considered artificial gravity. Another form of artificial gravity is constant acceleration. If when driving your car you accelerate quickly, you feel yourself pushed back into the seat. If a spaceship traveling though space was constantly accelerating, the same effect would be produced.

But at present at least, there is no way to push a button and produce gravity like on Star Trek.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 PM

5,370 posts, read 11,275,577 times
Quote:

About the only thing athletes could do depending on where they have to do their *feats*, is to train at higher altitudes.
Then when they go to a lower altitude, they may have an advantage !

Been there done that.
When I was in the USA Services, I was trained at a (Colorado) high altitude base.
Then was re-assigned to a base around Seattle.
I felt like I was on vacation ... but only for a few weeks, then it was huffing and puffing all over again !

Old 03-27-2017, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
If it was possible to actually create artificial gravity like they do on Star Trek that would certainly come in handy for extended space travel. The closest thing to it that we can create (in principle) if not in present fact, is centrifugal force. If spaceships or space stations were designed so that the crew lived and worked on the interior hull of the ship, and the ship rotated at the right speed, centrifugal force would have the effect of gravity by keeping the crew held to the wall.

So centrifugal force can be considered artificial gravity. Another form of artificial gravity is constant acceleration. If when driving your car you accelerate quickly, you feel yourself pushed back into the seat. If a spaceship traveling though space was constantly accelerating, the same effect would be produced.

But at present at least, there is no way to push a button and produce gravity like on Star Trek.
Not on Star Trek. The say that The Expanse tries to stay true to realistic ways we can survive in space. on the show, they show pouring of liquids. But they dont drop straight, instead it descends diagonally.

Also, I dont think they are spinning around like for centrifugal force, unless they are on a station. But a lot of outer space settlements are on asteroids, and moons. I guess if the moons are large enough, it will have gravity, but they appear to be walking and moving around normally, and unlike moon walking.

And will those artificial forms of gravity like acceleration, or centrifugal force have any effect on the body? Will it enable a body that has never felt real gravity to be able to withstand real gravity?

Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM

5,669 posts, read 5,269,040 times
Never seen the show, can't comment.

But another idea that's been considered for local system travel is the ion drive that produces exactly enough thrust to create constant acceleration at 9.8 meters per second per second throughout the entire trip (obviously that won't get you INTO orbit if you're sitting on the surface of, say, Earth). So the inhabitants of the ship feel constant gravity the entire trip. Roughly halfway through the trip you strap everyone in and simply spin the ship around and transition from acceleration to deceleration.

Old 03-29-2017, 02:18 PM

877 posts, read 586,785 times
Quote:

Great show! Long live the Martians!

Old 04-03-2017, 10:24 PM

7,235 posts, read 3,970,510 times
Quote:
Not on Star Trek. The say that The Expanse tries to stay true to realistic ways we can survive in space. on the show, they show pouring of liquids. But they dont drop straight, instead it descends diagonally.

Also, I dont think they are spinning around like for centrifugal force, unless they are on a station. But a lot of outer space settlements are on asteroids, and moons. I guess if the moons are large enough, it will have gravity, but they appear to be walking and moving around normally, and unlike moon walking.

And will those artificial forms of gravity like acceleration, or centrifugal force have any effect on the body? Will it enable a body that has never felt real gravity to be able to withstand real gravity?

Well, for a TV show, they can't create the effects of micro gravity, so the actors will be walking around normally since they are (unless like the film Apollo 13 they can afford to shoot some scenes on the Vomit Comet).

Assuming you could create some form of acceleration, as far as the body is concerned, it would not know the difference from gravity. It would appear to the body as a force.

Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Well, for a TV show, they can't create the effects of micro gravity, so the actors will be walking around normally since they are (unless like the film Apollo 13 they can afford to shoot some scenes on the Vomit Comet).

Assuming you could create some form of acceleration, as far as the body is concerned, it would not know the difference from gravity. It would appear to the body as a force.
I did not mean to imply they were actually using artificial gravity during the shoots.

In the fictional universe, the characters, and their technology and science within the story itself are said to stay as true to what we know and what we can do regarding gravity or simulating it.

Old 04-04-2017, 08:51 AM

5,669 posts, read 5,269,040 times
I recommend Isaac Arthur's channel for questions like these.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZF...6grh54g/videos

Old 04-05-2017, 08:54 AM

10,160 posts, read 10,482,230 times
Quote:
Force is force, if it comes from gravity or spinning. But the cost of creating gravity in space is probably so high, that most stations would not try to create it so that everyone lives in 1g all the time.

I haven't seen the show, but I imagine that people growing up in low gravity environments like the moon (17%*g) or less would be radically different biologically, and would feel a lot more than just discomfort upon being on Earth. I should think there health would be severely compromised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or