U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 07:51 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,253,484 times

Advertisements

I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to space-related news. To start off, NASA has plans to build a space station called the Deep Space Gateway in lunar orbit. Astronauts would prepare for the voyage to Mars there. Then the Deep Space Transport would be launched, which would send people to Mars. It would take a couple decades, however.
NASA unveiled new plans for getting humans to Mars, and hardly anyone noticed | The Planetary Society
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 12:58 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,455,159 times
NASA loves making such plans, and I'm sure they're sincere. But Congress controls the purse strings. I'm 48 and all my life there's been one embryonic plan or another to 'get to Mars' in the next 15 years or so. But five years down the road, those plans have never gone anywhere.

I'd love to live to see it but even if I have another half century in me (and I probably don't) I'm guessing that it's still unlikely. And I understand the unwillingness to spend so much when robotics can do almost as much scientific exploration for a fraction of the cost.

That said, nothing wrong with you posting the story!

Old 04-15-2017, 09:27 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,253,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
NASA loves making such plans, and I'm sure they're sincere. But Congress controls the purse strings. I'm 48 and all my life there's been one embryonic plan or another to 'get to Mars' in the next 15 years or so. But five years down the road, those plans have never gone anywhere.

I'd love to live to see it but even if I have another half century in me (and I probably don't) I'm guessing that it's still unlikely. And I understand the unwillingness to spend so much when robotics can do almost as much scientific exploration for a fraction of the cost.

That said, nothing wrong with you posting the story!
That may be true. But hopefully at some point we'll send people to Mars.

Old 04-16-2017, 06:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
The Jame Webb space telescope, also known as Hubble 2.0, will be launched sometime next year. I am eager to learn what it can do. Twenty years and $5B later, it's so tantalizingly close....

Hubble 2.0: The James Webb Space Telescope » The Geekwave

World's Largest Space Telescope Is Complete, Expected to Launch in 2018

Old 05-06-2017, 11:46 AM

1,553 posts, read 757,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfoskey View Post
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to space-related news. To start off, NASA has plans to build a space station called the Deep Space Gateway in lunar orbit. Astronauts would prepare for the voyage to Mars there. Then the Deep Space Transport would be launched, which would send people to Mars. It would take a couple decades, however.
NASA unveiled new plans for getting humans to Mars, and hardly anyone noticed | The Planetary Society
NASA may want to get humans into low earth orbit first. Walk before running.

Old 05-06-2017, 12:17 PM

22,774 posts, read 17,250,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by functionofx View Post
NASA may want to get humans into low earth orbit first. Walk before running.
Man has been in low earth orbit for years. What do you think the International space station is? What do you think the space shuttle program was about? Man has been to the moon as well.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Man has been in low earth orbit for years. What do you think the International space station is? What do you think the space shuttle program was about? Man has been to the moon as well.
NASA lost it's capability to launch humans into low earth orbit. Bush had a program in place to restore that capability by 2015, Obama canceled in at the start of his 2nd week. Only to complain about the lack of the very program he cancelled on his way out the door in December of 2016.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:18 PM

22,774 posts, read 17,250,171 times
Quote:
NASA lost it's capability to launch humans into low earth orbit. Bush had a program in place to restore that capability by 2015, Obama canceled in at the start of his 2nd week. Only to complain about the lack of the very program he cancelled on his way out the door in December of 2016.
Oh. I thought from your post that you were one of those conspiracy theorists.

As soon as the Space Launch System (SLS) and the Orion spacecraft are ready NASA will once again be able to send men into space, and not just into low earth orbit. Delays now put the planned first SLS flight sometime in 2019. The first flight will probably be unmanned, but after that it will carry a crew. Of course, this assumes that the program doesn't get cut for some reason.

NASA Plans to Delay First SLS/Orion Mission to 2019

Old 05-06-2017, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Oh. I thought from your post that you were one of those conspiracy theorists.

As soon as the Space Launch System (SLS) and the Orion spacecraft are ready NASA will once again be able to send men into space, and not just into low earth orbit. Delays now put the planned first SLS flight sometime in 2019. The first flight will probably be unmanned, but after that it will carry a crew. Of course, this assumes that the program doesn't get cut for some reason.

NASA Plans to Delay First SLS/Orion Mission to 2019
Trump has indicated he'd like to have people sent to Mars before the end of his second term. Not certain if he can pull it off, but at least he has a goal. NASA's plans under Obama may change, this is an unfortunate side effect of changing administrations. The space program seems to suffer in semi-silence.

Old 05-11-2017, 02:52 PM

33,706 posts, read 17,275,623 times
Quote:
Bush had a program in place to restore that capability by 2015, Obama canceled in at the start of his 2nd week.
Constellation didn't have a snowball's chance in hell of making a manned flight in 2015 - even if it suddenly started meeting deadlines, something it had manifestly failed to do. NASA's development process is a pork delivery system to the right companies in the right districts, with spacecraft as a sort of byproduct. The Ares rockets were slapped together from the Shuttle parts bin to keep the Shuttle supply chain happy, and that was an altogether rotten idea. The good bits - Orion, mostly - were kept.

Quote:
As soon as the Space Launch System (SLS) and the Orion spacecraft are ready NASA will once again be able to send men into space, and not just into low earth orbit. Delays now put the planned first SLS flight sometime in 2019.
I would not bet on that - it assumes essentially no setbacks. And they just dropped a LOX tank dome on top of the tooling used to build it.

Quote:
The first flight will probably be unmanned, but after that it will carry a crew.
Actually, there's a feasibility study on putting crew on EM-1. It will look really good if it works. EM-2 - if all goes well - won't fly until 2021.

Quote:
Trump has indicated he'd like to have people sent to Mars before the end of his second term. Not certain if he can pull it off...
Not a chance. Not even close to it. Even if he could secure Apollo-style funding and get the R&D started right now, there's no way 8 years would suffice. No one is working on a Mars lander, for instance. Or a manned vehicle that could survive he trip. There's not even a realistic sample return mission outlined.

SLS has support from Congress, but in order to get it, NASA has to concede a ton of decisions to political powers - the SLS authorization bill specified that there would be SRBs on the lifting rocket, for instance. Not because Congress are rocket designers, but because Norton/Thiokol/whateverthey'recalled has very good lobbyists. It's the silliest system for rocket design ever conceived.

Meanwhile, private actors have quietly developed rockets and pressurized capsules that work just fine, and at a fraction of the price. ULA is upping their game, SpaceX is launching Falcon Heavy later this year - and are flying Dragons to the ISS like clockwork, something NASA can't currently do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or