U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 09:53 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,513,068 times

Advertisements

I can see a day when certain groups or cultures may choose to colonize other planets as life becomes more difficult to sustain on earth and these cultures colonize other worlds to sell and trade their resources. Human greed will always exist so war between different colonies or multi-world corporations over control of resources and pockets of space could happen but that's hundreds of years from now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2017, 08:14 PM

1,312 posts, read 513,404 times
Sure, an F-15 shot down a satellite. The SR-71 flew in the upper atmosphere I am sure they went into space at some point.

If we are doing it I am sure others did or are trying. Russia keeps that stuff top secret.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:07 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpinionExperience View Post
...The SR-71 flew in the upper atmosphere I am sure they went into space at some point...
The SR-71 ceiling is around 100,000 ft (Stratosphere), and it certainly never made it into "space" (264,000 ft).

Old 07-11-2017, 10:18 PM

12,689 posts, read 7,786,950 times
Back in the darkest days of the Cold War. some attention was devoted to something called a Fixed Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS); this was envisioned as a system of satellites, presumably in stationary orbit, which could rain destruction on targets below in a fraction of the time required for the ICBMs of the day. If memory serves me correctly, it was the Soviets who showed most of the interest; but I don't recall much attention being brought to the technology after the detente era of the early 1970's.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:29 PM

39,937 posts, read 57,770,652 times
Ever? Everything is possible. Some big, rich, imperialistic country might start one...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 07-11-2017, 10:34 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
Outer Space Treaty: no weapon of mass destruction in space.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outer_Space_Treaty

Old 07-14-2017, 06:37 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,461,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Back in the darkest days of the Cold War. some attention was devoted to something called a Fixed Orbital Bombardment System (FOBS); this was envisioned as a system of satellites, presumably in stationary orbit, which could rain destruction on targets below in a fraction of the time required for the ICBMs of the day. If memory serves me correctly, it was the Soviets who showed most of the interest; but I don't recall much attention being brought to the technology after the detente era of the early 1970's.
Yes. the Soviets did show the most interest in FOBS - because it was a Soviet program.

The problems with such a system are manifest.

*An ICBM from the USSR could most of the world (save antipodean regions) within 30 minutes, including all of Europe and North America. SLBMs could do the same in an even shorter amount of time. Orbiting warheads could hit targets faster, but not at any time desired by Soviet commanders. They would have to wait until they were approaching North America to begin their de-orbital burn. This would severely compromise their retaliatory utility, which history has demonstrated is the primary function of nuclear weapons.

*Also, their orbital track would limit targeting, as for example it might bring only a third of CONUS into range on a given orbit.

*Servicing weapons - and despite silly sci-fi where a lost nuke is found in workable conditions decades or centuries later, nuclear weapons must be constantly maintained - in space would be hideously expensive and in the end unworkable.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:00 AM

2,960 posts, read 1,127,390 times
I'm not sure how exactly a space war would play out.

Misconceptions - Atomic Rockets

This article goes into depth over the misconceptions about space travel and all associations. Granted, it targets mostly sci fi authors/readers, but it does a pretty good job of explaining why many aspects are either illogical or impossible regarding space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or