U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 04:43 PM

10,324 posts, read 12,409,777 times

Advertisements

Suppose you want to take your SO on a Sunset beach walk; what sounds better? A romantic sunset or a "romantic rotation" away from the sun?

I say stick with Sunset! : )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 08:50 AM

13,344 posts, read 7,115,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
For someone so picky and literal - learn how to spell! It's REPRIMANDED, not repremented.

And if you want people to say something besides the simple, brief, well-understood "sun is setting" - what do you propose? An in-depth scientific explanation each time?

Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM

1,986 posts, read 713,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post

Friend: ''What are you doing?'' You: ''I'm observing the rotation of the earth carry me out of the line of sight of the sun due to the curvature of the earth causing the earth itself to get between me and the sun.''
:
To be fair, this may be the perfect way to impress someone who is into astrophysics.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:49 AM

16,840 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Fixed it for you.

To be fair, this may be the perfect way to impress someone who is easily impressed, not too bright, and into astrophysics at a third grade level.

If the OP wants to impress, it is much more interesting to say that the sun has already set before we see it set. (True)

Old 07-27-2017, 06:37 PM

10,577 posts, read 6,823,128 times
Quote:
I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
Most people understand that language is full of non-literal phraseology and do not get bent out of shape over said usage.

For such a pendant, you are rather ignorant about the Sun, which is hardly the center of the universe. It is, however, a proper noun, and so should always be capitalized. Of course, your incorrect usage doesn't bother me and I wouldn't normally point it out, except to illustrate that fact that you're not really all that knowledgeable - you're just playing GOTCHA, I'M SO SMART! games with one thing you happen to know.

I suspect that's why you were 'repremented'.

Old 07-28-2017, 01:06 AM

12,448 posts, read 10,126,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
...For such a pendant...
That's gotta hurt - OOF!!!!

Old 07-28-2017, 08:17 AM

20,292 posts, read 15,633,754 times
Quote:
Did you mean to say that the Sun is at the center of the Universe, or that it is at the center of the solar system? If you actually meant to say that the Sun is fixed as the center of the solar system, then to be scientifically precise which you are attempting to be, you have to state that the center of our solar system is actually the barycenter around which the Sun wobbles, or at times revolves, depending on whether the barycenter is just inside the body of the Sun or slightly outside the surface of the Sun, the situation depending on how the alignment of the planets affects their combined gravitational pull on the Sun. The gravitational pull of a planet or planets on a star causes the star to wobble.

But for normal everyday conversation, the Sun is the center of the solar system, and the Sun sets.

Last edited by Mike555; 07-28-2017 at 08:26 AM..

Old 07-28-2017, 09:44 AM

16,840 posts, read 51,286,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's gotta hurt - OOF!!!!
Glad someone else caught it. I had tears in my eyes laughing.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:28 PM

16,167 posts, read 27,421,913 times
Quote:
Sunsets and sunrises are related to your geographical location, so you are right about earth rotation, but your friend is right about the sunrises and sunsets where you live. By the way you local weather forecast may include a sub-link for sunset and sunrise hours.

Old 07-28-2017, 03:12 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,013,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Silly thread.
More stupid than silly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or