U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 06:17 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,675,997 times

Advertisements

I was actually more disturbed by the "repremented" ...sorry. Could hardly concentrate on the subject matter. Obviously a First World problem and obviously bothering me, not the OP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 06:57 PM

16,834 posts, read 14,428,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
Nope. It's a colloquialism. If you got mad at all of the, it would a full time job.

Reprimanded btw.

And if we are talking about reprimanding people the sun is the center of the SOLAR SYSTEM. Not the universe. Maybe she should have repremented you?

Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 PM

OP seems nowhere in sight. He's probably embarrassed about his spelling failure. I do hope he returns, because at least some of us sincerely wish him well. :hand:

Even "nice" City-Data can be pretty brutal sometimes. On another thread I've recently been roundly put down and ridiculed, and it's hard to take.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:44 AM

2,938 posts, read 1,118,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
OP seems nowhere in sight. He's probably embarrassed about his spelling failure. I do hope he returns, because at least some of us sincerely wish him well. :hand:

Even "nice" City-Data can be pretty brutal sometimes. On another thread I've recently been roundly put down and ridiculed, and it's hard to take.
Just like most forums. Some users post really moronic things therefore they should be subjected to scrutiny.

Old 07-29-2017, 06:32 AM

10,576 posts, read 7,455,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
That's gotta hurt - OOF!!!!
I don't prattle on about the supposed horrors of how others use the language.

I have no issue with the OP's mistakes... except that he spews them while selectively whining about those of others.

So, no, the mistakes I make, and I suspect that I probably slip one or more into most of my posts, don't 'hurt' at all. They're not an issue because I'm not starting threads haranguing others about theirs. I will, however, point those out by the holier-than-thou "How can you use such improper English!?" crowd whose grammatical house is not in order as they castigate others for the same offense.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:15 PM

10,702 posts, read 9,661,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Nope... sunrise, sunset work for me. Whether factually correct or not ... everyone knows what I mean when I say sunrise or sunset. Semantics is all it is.
This!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:17 PM

19,837 posts, read 17,917,921 times
The sun is 400 times larger than the diameter of the moon and its also 400 times farther than the moon to the earth. Quite a coincidence.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The sun is 400 times larger than the diameter of the moon and its also 400 times farther than the moon to the earth. Quite a coincidence.
Wow, really? This is so cool. I don't know what it means, but I don't believe in coincidence. It ALL means something. In my view.

Old 08-23-2017, 03:58 PM

8,703 posts, read 12,013,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
If you are going to go all pedantic on someone, don't just stick your toe in, dive in all the way. The sun is neither fixed, nor the center of the universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or