U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 11:42 AM

12,333 posts, read 3,249,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
No, even if they won't destroy or hurt us for whatever reason.

We should simply listen, and put our computers onto the job of interpreting their language or other form of communication. Then read or listen to what they have to say. That way, we won't just blunder onto the scene and make some major faux pas, one that will make us look like a rash and foolish species at best and outrageously offensive at worst
What makes you think even the most advanced computer in the world could decode them or their language? our most advanced technology is like stone age tools compared to theirs.

I think its actually beyond that, in their eyes, we are the same as lab rats or cockroaches, its just not possible for the lab rat to comprehend the tests that are being done on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2018, 07:37 AM

2,359 posts, read 1,402,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The main reason we likely haven't come into contact with any alien species is that the distances in space are far too large and we only achieved space flight in the 1950's.

While many of our policies as a species have been destructive over the years, there is no evidence that any other species would necessarily be pacifist in nature. Until we make first contact, we will only have ourselves as a metric of comparison.
this

peeps always assume that humans will evolve into a peaceful species

what if our evolution is the opposite...into a more violent survivalist individualist species?
What if advanced species out there are NOT what our movies promise us...peaceful intelligent evolved species
what if what is out there is technologically advanced, extremely intelligent, violent species

that's what I think is realty out there...conquering killers sucking up natural resources, much like we do here

Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
this

peeps always assume that humans will evolve into a peaceful species

what if our evolution is the opposite...into a more violent survivalist individualist species?
What if advanced species out there are NOT what our movies promise us...peaceful intelligent evolved species
what if what is out there is technologically advanced, extremely intelligent, violent species

that's what I think is realty out there...conquering killers sucking up natural resources, much like we do here
There is probably a mixture of both kinds imo. It may sound crazy, but I think Star Wars may be fairly realistic depiction of whats out there, there are some systems that are out to conquer, steal and kill, and other systems where they are peaceful and have no desire to conquer or control new systems/ species, while other systems could not care less about doing either.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:48 PM

2,960 posts, read 1,127,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
There is probably a mixture of both kinds imo. It may sound crazy, but I think Star Wars may be fairly realistic depiction of whats out there, there are some systems that are out to conquer, steal and kill, and other systems where they are peaceful and have no desire to conquer or control new systems/ species, while other systems could not care less about doing either.
If you want a more realistic space opera, I suggest you check out The Expanse. I think that show (book series) gives a good indication of what humanity would be like if it colonizes the Solar System.

Old 01-27-2018, 06:24 AM

35,126 posts, read 42,576,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whocares386 View Post

There are so many reasons about: ” why we haven’t contact them yet? ”
I would imagine we havent contacted aliens because they dont want to be contacted. What do we have that an alien space faring species could possibly want. at best we would be a scientific curiosity to them.

Old 01-28-2018, 11:26 AM

199 posts, read 116,513 times
I believe we haven't been contacted by aliens simply due to the vast distances involved with interstellar travel. Most people don't understand how truly far apart everything is out in space. The nearest star to Earth, besides the Sun, would take 10s of thousands of years to reach.

Also, radio waves spread out over long distances like ripples in a pond unless they are focused on a certain point. If there is alien life out there, they wouldn't know that Earth exists, much less to aim powerful radio signals in our direction.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
I believe we haven't been contacted by aliens simply due to the vast distances involved with interstellar travel. Most people don't understand how truly far apart everything is out in space. The nearest star to Earth, besides the Sun, would take 10s of thousands of years to reach.
You are basing your opinion on current human technology and its limits though. A race that has been around 1000+ years longer is not going to have the same technological limitations as we do.

Just like today, someone in NY can text a person on the other side of the country and its pretty much instantaneous, the idea of this 50 yrs ago, would have been impossible.

Old 01-29-2018, 03:03 PM

6,228 posts, read 6,957,603 times
Quote:
I once heard a great analogy that best describes the difference between human and alien...

Humans are like the fish swimming around the oceans, rivers, etc, the only world they know is under the water, they have no idea what a complex and widespread world lies just right above the waterline, and even if they were plucked out and got a glimpse of it all, they wouldnt be able to comprehend what they were seeing anyway.

Humans only know the world we live in, we have no idea what lies beyond this and what kind of world that is, and like the fish, I doubt any of us would even be able to understand it.
I don't totally agree, after all we did land on and walked on the moon in 1969 and did it several times. We have rovers roaming around Mars. We've landed probes on Venus and one of the moons of Saturn. We've glimpsed two mile high ice mountains on the outer edge of Saturn's Rings. We've taken long exposures of a small what appeared to be empty space using Hubble only to find hundreds of galaxies in what appeared to be the width of a pencil head. We've glimpsed huge water flows spouting out of one of Jupiter's moons. I think in the last 60 small amount years, we have somewhat of an idea. Heck, we even landed a probe on a comet.

Last edited by jmking; 01-29-2018 at 03:15 PM..

Old 01-29-2018, 03:50 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
...A race that has been around 1000+ years longer is not going to have the same technological limitations as we do...
They may still be in the stone age. I mean, if they never got beyond hunter/gatherers competing for resources, they will have spent all of their years fighting. For all we know, we are the most intelligent species within our "immediate" zone.

BTW - a thousand years doesn't necessarily mean significant advancement will take place during that time frame. They may have done a civilization "reset" within that period.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM

2,960 posts, read 1,127,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
They may still be in the stone age. I mean, if they never got beyond hunter/gatherers competing for resources, they will have spent all of their years fighting. For all we know, we are the most intelligent species within our "immediate" zone.

BTW - a thousand years doesn't necessarily mean significant advancement will take place during that time frame. They may have done a civilization "reset" within that period.
That's an important point to consider. Just because a civilization has been around for a longer period of time doesn't automatically mean they would have developed more advanced technology. Humans have experienced both periods of rapid development and others of regression like the Middle Ages in Europe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or