U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 01:12 AM

1,446 posts, read 1,058,057 times

Advertisements

If aliens show up from another solar system it will be their call.

ET phone humans? Don't pick up the phone! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 01:26 PM

22,373 posts, read 19,836,515 times
I wonder where the image of aliens as mean, ugly monsters trying to destroy Earth has come from. So weird how in all those fancy, yet simple-minded Hollywood sci-fi movies aliens are portrayed as killers, usually in reptile-like bodies, who despite their silly bodies have miraculously managed to build the most sophisticated space ships.
Even funnier how in those movies humans always prevail in some silly shooting war, as if such highly developed beings would be so stupid as to be outwitted by some 20-year old human military pilot.

Anyway, given the incredible distances and the fact that supposedly there are no speeds faster than the speed of light, even the most advanced aliens are just too far away to have any meaningful interaction with us.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:57 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,930,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I wonder where the image of aliens as mean, ugly monsters trying to destroy Earth has come from. So weird how in all those fancy, yet simple-minded Hollywood sci-fi movies aliens are portrayed as killers, usually in reptile-like bodies, who despite their silly bodies have miraculously managed to build the most sophisticated space ships.
Even funnier how in those movies humans always prevail in some silly shooting war, as if such highly developed beings would be so stupid as to be outwitted by some 20-year old human military pilot.
If you are talking about Independence Day, there are so many plot holes in that movie, it's not even worth discussing.

My two favorite movies concerning meeting aliens are "Forbidden Planet," where to paraphrase Pogo, "the aliens is us", and the original "The Day the Earth Stood Still," where the alien is a very intelligent guy.

Old 05-28-2018, 07:23 PM

20,723 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Quote:
Anyway, given the incredible distances and the fact that supposedly there are no speeds faster than the speed of light, even the most advanced aliens are just too far away to have any meaningful interaction with us.

The distances aren't that incredible.

There are approximately 10,000 G-Class and K-Class Stars within 50 light years of Earth. K-Class Stars, sometimes called Orange Dwarfs, are just slightly smaller G-Class Stars, and they form in the same way a G-Class Star does.

Our own star is a G-Class Star and it is highly likely that the formation process of a G-Class Star always spawns planets.

There are probably 50,000 to 100,000 planets right in our own back-yard, and likely to be 10,000 to 20,000 planets in the Life-Zone -- where liquid water would be present and at a sufficient distance to sustain photosynthesis.

Oddly, scientists prefer to throw away and waste tax-payer dollars looking for planets in other galaxies.

If you're looking for a dog, you wouldn't first go to Antarctica or Australia to look, you'd start looking in your own back-yard and spiral out until you found one.

The question everyone should be asking is why are scientists afraid of looking nearby in own our own back-yard.

If they can find a planet orbiting a Blue Giant in a galaxy 100 Million light years away, they can find a planet orbiting a Yellow G-Class Star that is 7 light years away.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM

12,326 posts, read 3,249,816 times
Quote:

'Just too far away' is putting human limitations on civilizations that may be much much older. Ive never understood why so many people cling to that theory, at one time not that long ago, airplane flight was not even possible yet!!

Old 05-30-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:

If you are talking about the stereotypical 'alien grey' a small child sized being with a hairless frail body, large head and large black eyes, that depiction has been used for many years. its basically a way to prime people for the real thing.

If you go out in public and ask 100 people what an alien looks like, I bet a majority of them describe the alien grey, point is, that didnt just happen by coincidence or by accident.

Old 05-30-2018, 01:40 PM

22,373 posts, read 19,836,515 times
Regarding the distance. Sure, 100 years ago today's aircraft would have been a miracle. Still, there was no physical limit to flying 1000 km/h or whatever back then. It was merely a technical limit.
The speed of light however is said to be THE fastest speed possible by any means.
1.08 billion km/h, that's more than a million times faster than a Boeing or Airbus at max speed.

Regarding the appearance of aliens, at the end of the day, I think I have seen more monster-like aliens than the frail and pale type in movies.

Old 05-30-2018, 11:27 PM

537 posts, read 239,108 times
What is an alien ?

I was watching a science / technology program last week. Main subject was, 'how carbon & nitrogen equals life. At ground level there is proof/evidence of carbon and nitrogen microbes in the billions per day floating down to earth, similar to snow, and how these microbes may be how life began on earth and over the billions of years developed into everything we currently know as living things.

Went on saying that microbes larger than 6 microns could not reach elevations more than ?? I forget the exact elevation, something like 60'. Gravity keeps the big ones low. They went up to 200' and found larger microbes, so, through their evaluation, the microbes are originating from what we know of as space and falling to earth like snow flakes.

Maybe 1 in 100 trillion will survive and become a future creature on this planet.

The question was - is earth being seeded ?

Old 05-31-2018, 09:36 AM

2,180 posts, read 737,031 times
My personal view is that if we ever meet up with alien intelligences, they will be machine based AIs. Of course, in a few more decades, we can meet home grown ones right here on planet earth.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
What is an alien ?

I was watching a science / technology program last week. Main subject was, 'how carbon & nitrogen equals life. At ground level there is proof/evidence of carbon and nitrogen microbes in the billions per day floating down to earth, similar to snow, and how these microbes may be how life began on earth and over the billions of years developed into everything we currently know as living things.

Went on saying that microbes larger than 6 microns could not reach elevations more than ?? I forget the exact elevation, something like 60'. Gravity keeps the big ones low. They went up to 200' and found larger microbes, so, through their evaluation, the microbes are originating from what we know of as space and falling to earth like snow flakes.

Maybe 1 in 100 trillion will survive and become a future creature on this planet.

The question was - is earth being seeded ?
I believe in some type of Panspermia, but I doubt we could recognize it, even if it was happening right in front of our eyes.

Besides that, our planet is already full of all sorts of different lifeforms, seeding would not be necessary anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or