Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 11:35 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,739,508 times

Advertisements

I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 11:41 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,952,361 times
Nope... sunrise, sunset work for me. Whether factually correct or not ... everyone knows what I mean when I say sunrise or sunset. Semantics is all it is.

Old 07-23-2017, 11:44 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
I just got repremented by a friend after correcting her about the sun setting. I said, the sun is not setting, as if it is actively doing anything. The sun never actually sets or rises. The sun is fixed as in the center of the universe. So we either move into the suns rays (rising) or away (setting). Does this bug anyone else?
No. I used to live in Florida when I was young and it was romantic to go to watch the sunrise and breakfast on the Atlantic side and then drive across Alligator Alley to Naples to have dinner and watch it set. Couldn't have done that your way--just wouldn't have been the same. :-)

Old 07-23-2017, 11:46 PM

61,646 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Doesn't bug me at all. This is the common, worldwide expression. Don't try to change the Science.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:09 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Quote:
LOL! First, the sun isn't even the center of the solar system, much less the universe (although, technically, EVERYTHING is the center of the universe).

You are railing at relativistic motion and wording. The Earth rotates. If a car drives away from you going towards the West, and another drives away from you going to the East, do you say that one is moving away from you and that you are moving away from the other, even though you are standing still? Since the Earth is rotating, one of them is staying closer to a fixed spot than you or the other car.

The concept you try to dismiss is "subjective observation." Your friend made a subjective observation that you were being offensively pedantic. Subjective observations are real, and I suggest you treat them as such unless you want to watch sunsets alone.

Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Silly thread.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:14 AM

12,441 posts, read 14,863,170 times
Quote:
I just got repremented...
Now, THAT "bugs" me.

Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
The OP should hook up with that entropy guy who insists in every thread that the universe will die so things like immortality and forever don't exist. I forgot his username.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:04 PM

33,220 posts, read 26,412,135 times
Quote:
Friend: ''What are you doing?'' You: ''I'm watching the sun set.''

Friend: ''What are you doing?'' You: ''I'm observing the rotation of the earth carry me out of the line of sight of the sun due to the curvature of the earth causing the earth itself to get between me and the sun.''

Friend: ''What are you doing?'' You: ''I'm watching the sunset.''

Language of appearance. Don't leave home without it.

Last edited by Michael Way; 07-24-2017 at 01:27 PM..

Old 07-24-2017, 01:14 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,253,680 times
Good grief. It's a figure of speech. You know, like how in one particular sense "blow" refers to exactly the opposite action.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space