Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 07:33 PM

17,536 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post

New Conspiracy Theorist Claims To Have Proof That Apollo Moon Landing Was Fake

I really hope this isn't true, and it probably isn't.

I've heard this conspiracy theory a couple of times this year - and I just brushed it off with an eye roll. But, after seeing some of these theorist's videos, seeing their proof and reading in detail why they feel that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax, I'm honestly starting to wonder now....

I mean, if this turns out to be true - what ELSE has the U.S. Government 'shown' us that is ALSO fake?!

And another thing....why hasn't the U.S. ever gone back to the moon since July 20th, 1969? Our technology now must surely surpass what we had back in the 60s, yeah?
Same people believe that the earth is flat

Old 11-28-2017, 07:35 PM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
I do believe the Moon landing was real, but it is odd that they would lose the video, and now all we have is a video of the TV images taking place. From what I hear the real video was quite clear.

Old 11-28-2017, 07:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Same people believe that the earth is flat
Hey, your not judging me are you? I'm one who believes it can't be round or we would all fall off... just saying it's likely we will never know for sure

Old 11-28-2017, 08:01 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,156,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifty Percent Off View Post
Stop it. The moon is made of green cheese.
I've gone through this already-- it's **swiss** (why it has little holes in it-- what my dad told me anyways and he knew a lot about different things so there)

Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 PM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
I viewed this program and heard Tyson's dismissive spiel about how the moon landing couldn't have been a hoax. But read these two linked articles, about what research has shown that happens to the brains of those who venture outside of our protective atmosphere:

https://news.uci.edu/2016/10/10/mars...-ray-exposure/

NASA awards UC Irvine $9 million to study underlying mechanisms of ?space brain? | School of Medicine | University of California, Irvine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Yes?

Extended time. The Apollo 17 crew spent less than 220 hours outside LEO. The study you're citing is about the concerns for Mars crew with their month- and yearlong exposure.

So if a mission to Mars would completely destroy the structures in the brain that store memory, how much brain damage would be suffered during a 220 hour period outside the atmosphere? Would it be significant and readily apparent? Would there be long-term compounding effects? The research of Charles Limoli and his group, which NASA takes seriously enough to grant $9 million in funding to continue, is exploring those questions right now. Would you or anyone, be willing to expose themselves to unfiltered solar and cosmic rays for that length of time, now that this hazard is known?

Old 11-28-2017, 08:53 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
So if a mission to Mars would completely destroy the structures in the brain that store memory, how much brain damage would be suffered during a 220 hour period outside the atmosphere? Would it be significant and readily apparent? Would there be long-term compounding effects? The research of Charles Limoli and his group, which NASA takes seriously enough to grant $9 million in funding to continue, is exploring those questions right now. Would you or anyone, be willing to expose themselves to unfiltered solar and cosmic rays for that length of time, now that this hazard is known?
Probably destroy just enough memory that the Apollo astronauts would come back really believing they actually went to, and landed on the moon. LOL

Old 11-28-2017, 09:24 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
So if a mission to Mars would completely destroy the structures in the brain that store memory, how much brain damage would be suffered during a 220 hour period outside the atmosphere?
Outside the Van Allen belts. The atmosphere is not that relevant. People hang out on the ISS for months on end.

Quote:
Would you or anyone, be willing to expose themselves to unfiltered solar and cosmic rays for that length of time, now that this hazard is known?
For the duration of a moon trip? As risks go, it hardly registers. (Something going boom when it shouldn't, on the other hand...)

Health risks from radiation were well known in 1969, as were the radiation levels inside and outside the Van Allen belts. And it wasn't "unfiltered".

The big risk is long exposure to the background radiation and - much worse - solar flares.

The 21 astronauts who ventured outside LEO seemed to remain pretty spry, FWIW.

Old 11-28-2017, 09:45 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I do believe the Moon landing was real, but it is odd that they would lose the video, and now all we have is a video of the TV images taking place. From what I hear the real video was quite clear.
Well - there was a multitude of cameras with varying capabilities used. The only "lost" footage was that from the rather primitive B&W television camera on Apollo 11. The 16 mm film camera inside the LM worked fine (but couldn't be pointed at the foot of the ladder) and subsequent missions brought more and more advanced video gear, culminating in this remote-controlled color camera on the rover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj6a0Wrrh1g

Fun starts around 2:55.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:52 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I listened to Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about this, he said it would be more difficult to fake than it would be to just to go there. I believe we went. I don't think we went back because there really wasn't a reason to. Not much there.
Actually plenty to do there but it wasn't the right time. Mission accomplished, we got the high ground before them damn Ruskies. Most likely the next people there will be private citizens and soon private companies to mine the surface. It won't take much for colonies to get built on the moon either. Just the right business case, which is getting better and better. Although it will be initially expensive, people are going to make a lot of money from work done on the moon.

Old 11-28-2017, 11:07 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,987,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Hey, your not judging me are you? I'm one who believes it can't be round or we would all fall off... just saying it's likely we will never know for sure
During my early 20s, I’ve been so drunk I felt like I was going to fall off the earth. The only reason I didn’t fall off the earth was because I hugged the ground and held onto the grass.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space