U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 03:11 PM

33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorman View Post
Using today's technology it would be very easy to send up an unmanned vehicle...
No. This is hard. It's doable, but it is hard.

Quote:
Why has that never been attempted by any nation on earth despite the ongoing controversy and accusations of fakery?
Because nobody with the resources and the knowledge involved in space travel takes the conspiracy theorists seriously. You're a fun diversion on the Internet, not worth investing actual resources in.

Of course, the LRO missions provided some very nice imagery and of course the CTers yelled "Fake" with depressing predictability.

Old 02-06-2018, 04:32 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,106,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My brother is one of these people. He is 48, home with a deteriorating spine, and he believes every conspiracy theory he can find on the webz. I am a person who was inside One WTC on 9/11. While I certainly can understand people asking questions and doubting particulars of what "the government" said, he does not believe some things that I, his sister, actually witnessed and experienced that day or things I knew about the building because of my job if they contradict what he has read on the Internet.

Some things online can be quite convincing. The people who say aliens have been here do a good job of turning fiction into nonfiction, if aliens were never here.

About 9/11, I hope your health is OK. I recently read about 50K people have had health issues due to that tragedy.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:53 PM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
IF a spaceship was sent to the Moon to recover things we left there, then it is possible and probable that very same spaceship could take those "things we left on the Moon" with it to pretend we left them there.

So the point I am making is that that does not tell us we did/did not go to the Moon. With only official space travel, we have no way to know what is there.

In my view, it is far more likely we had 'help' to get to the Moon, and by that I mean we had other technology which was better at travelling those kind of distances at that time.

Roswell was 1947 so if there were ET craft discovered and back engineered, then it is likely by 1967 we would have had something available which would do the job. 20 years is a long time in engineering research.

It would only have been necessary to 'fake' the pickup from the sea and make sure the 'other craft' was not shown in the TV pictures from the lunar surface. The rest of the technology which did not need Atari computers ie: boots, suits, etc was all available in 1967.

Old 02-06-2018, 11:16 PM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
There are plenty of scientists who would like to keep their nice cosy NASA job which gives them prestige and status and is VERY good for their resume. Any scientists who has worked for NASA will be able to get another job later anywhere. Future employers can be assured you know how to keep your mouth shut about things which do not concern you. This does not mean they are bad scientists - of course not. It just means they are practical and have a family to feed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA
There was an entire scientific community who got their hands on the scientific output (samples and imagery from the moon, to say nothing of the materials science and engineering data), and nobody there has spoken up, either.
Not one. Not one geologist has gotten a lunar sample, and said "This is fake, it was cooked up in a lab, and I can make a good case for that being the case."
Even if the Moon rocks were fake, it would not mean the Moon landings were fake would it? So... if the Moon landings were completely legit, why would NASA be giving fake rocks to people? Imagine the bad publicity and questions which would be asked if they were found to be from Earth?

As in this...
from this story in the UK's Telegraph in 2009

Quote:
12:12AM BST 29 Aug 2009
Curators at Amsterdam's Rijksmuseum, where the rock has attracted tens of thousands of visitors each year, discovered that the "lunar rock", valued at £308,000, was in fact petrified wood.
Xandra van Gelder, who oversaw the investigation, said the museum would continue to keep the stone as a curiosity.
"It's a good story, with some questions that are still unanswered," she said. "We can laugh about it."
The rock was given to Willem Drees, a former Dutch leader, during a global tour by Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins and Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin following their moon mission 50 years ago.
Or this link if you dont like the Telegraph.
Quote:
The Rijksmuseum is famous for its fine art collections, especially paintings by Rembrandt and other masters. One of its lesser known objects, the "moon rock", was first unveiled in October 2006 as the centerpiece of a "Fly me to the moon" exhibition. At that time, the museum said the rock symbolized the "exploration of the unknown, colonization of far-away places and bringing back of treasures..." A reading about the "moon rock" was even held on October 7 because it was a full moon!
It appears that NASA are a bunch of Wallys sometimes. Like the original space film going missing. That might just be convenient, but there are also reports that it is not known where some of the Moon rocks are located and they are missing too. Even though there were allegedly pounds of the Moon rocks brought back...

If you had a limited edition of something, dont you think the security would be pretty good around those pieces? Even if the NASA publicity department wanted to give them to everyone, you would still need to keep a close eye on where they were.

Actually, I would think most of the rocks should go to scientists across the world to study them UNLESS they knew that it was all bunkum and the scientists would realise they were totally fake rocks. Then if that was the case, the publicity department could go ahead and give out the rocks to non-scientists and politicians as they were unlikely to disappear into universities after they had been given publicly to the people of another country. People would want to see them, not have this piece of history studied and hidden in universities.

Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 PM

58,591 posts, read 56,477,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Some things online can be quite convincing. The people who say aliens have been here do a good job of turning fiction into nonfiction, if aliens were never here.

About 9/11, I hope your health is OK. I recently read about 50K people have had health issues due to that tragedy.
Yes, thanks for asking. I am in the WTC Health Registry, which is tracking those who choose to participate. Some residual PTSD stuff that all we survivors carry, some worse than others.

I am also on a closed FB 9/11 Support Group, and there are regular notices about first responders and people who worked on the recovery and cleanup dying of cancer that it is believed is related to their presence on the pile.

Re the moon, at least they've progressed to not trying to prove the hoax by pointing to the "waving" flag anymore.

Old 02-07-2018, 03:14 PM

33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There are plenty of scientists who would like to keep their nice cosy NASA job...
Lunar samples have been distributed to hundreds of universities that have nothing to do with NASA.

More to the point, thousands of aerospace engineers have graduated since 1969, and not a single one has pointed out the bit in Apollo that couldn't have worked. Nor, I can't help noticing, does anyone in this thread. We get lukewarm generalities about 1960s tech, nothing with any concrete details.

Quote:
Even if the Moon rocks were fake, it would not mean the Moon landings were fake would it?
It would provide the CTers with their first bit of concrete evidence ever, and wouldn't that be something?

So... if the Moon landings were completely legit, why would NASA be giving fake rocks to people? Imagine the bad publicity and questions which would be asked if they were found to be from Earth?

Quote:
As in this...
from this story in the UK's Telegraph in 2009

Or this link if you dont like the Telegraph.
It appears that NASA are a bunch of Wallys sometimes. Like the original space film going missing. That might just be convenient, but there are also reports that it is not known where some of the Moon rocks are located and they are missing too. Even though there were allegedly pounds of the Moon rocks brought back...
Sounds fishy. NASA is pretty intense about maintaining sample security. But something that's been handed over as a prezzie and has changed hands a few times is hardly what I'd call traceable. Besides, all lunar material is government property, and they're intense about upholding that.

Quote:
Actually, I would think most of the rocks should go to scientists across the world to study them
You mean, like what is actually happening?

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?q...XQCskQgQMIJjAA

Old 02-07-2018, 06:47 PM

2,270 posts, read 936,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Its kind of like how everyone says todays cell phones and computers are as powerful as the ones NASA used in the first space venture, but if thats true, why arent people doing things equal in scope with their computers?
That makes no sense.

None.
At.
All.

No one claims that the Apollo 11 computers were all that got Neil, Buzz and Mike to the moon.

I have an iPhone. Know what I don't have? A 363-foot tall three-stage rocket. I also don't have 200,000+ gallons of kerosene and 300,000+ gallons of liquid oxygen. Those things - along with myriad other items, beyond the computer - were essential. You do know that, right? Because you're implying that since people have computers as strong as the one onboard Apollo 11, they should be going to the moon. Which...

Makes.
Zero.
Sense.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:45 PM

428 posts, read 422,415 times
My Dad worked for Arrowjet and was on the eng. team that designed the liquid fuel rocket motors that lifted the lunar module off the moon. The ascent stage, I will always remember how nervous he was when it lifted off for the first time. And how excited and relieved he was when all went well.

Old 02-08-2018, 06:30 AM

7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRoadg View Post
My Dad worked for Arrowjet and was on the eng. team that designed the liquid fuel rocket motors that lifted the lunar module off the moon. The ascent stage, I will always remember how nervous he was when it lifted off for the first time. And how excited and relieved he was when all went well.
If I recall correctly Bell was contracted to do the ascent engine but Aerojet helped with the injectors as Bell couldn’t solve some combustion instability for Grumman (prime on the Lunar Module).

Definitely a moment of tension...but the ascent stage was designed to be the simplest engine possible.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:35 PM
pll

1,089 posts, read 2,190,523 times
The moon landing conspirators are crazy in my opinion. Everyone knows we went to the moon. We have pictures and video to prove it. Plus we all know the government never lies to us.

Its amazing how smart we were in 1969 in that we were able to go to the moon and land on it. This was before computers, cell phones and microwaves were invented. Absolutely brilliant. My favorite part of the mission was when President Nixon called Neil Armstrong from his land line phone. Oh and the moon bars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or