U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2018, 04:50 AM

199 posts, read 125,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pll View Post
The moon landing conspirators are crazy in my opinion. Everyone knows we went to the moon. We have pictures and video to prove it. Plus we all know the government never lies to us.

Its amazing how smart we were in 1969 in that we were able to go to the moon and land on it. This was before computers, cell phones and microwaves were invented. Absolutely brilliant. My favorite part of the mission was when President Nixon called Neil Armstrong from his land line phone. Oh and the moon bars.
I know you are being "snarky" but get your facts correct. We did indeed have computers in 1969. A land line can be interconnected to a radio using VOX keying and was done for me in 1972 for a land line connection via radio while I was at sea. The marine operator set up the circuit. I am confidant that this was trivial for NASA at the time.

Cell phones and microwave ovens have nothing to do with the technology used in the moon landings. We did have RADAR , which does operate in the microwave frequency band.

Old 03-16-2018, 08:10 AM
pll

1,089 posts, read 2,190,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
I know you are being "snarky" but get your facts correct. We did indeed have computers in 1969. A land line can be interconnected to a radio using VOX keying and was done for me in 1972 for a land line connection via radio while I was at sea. The marine operator set up the circuit. I am confidant that this was trivial for NASA at the time.

Cell phones and microwave ovens have nothing to do with the technology used in the moon landings. We did have RADAR , which does operate in the microwave frequency band.
I love that word "snarky".

Good job with all your answers.

NASA gets $50 billion of our tax paying money and it's comforting to know it's all going to a worthwhile and noble cause.

The "moon rock " has done so much to help mankind. Where is it btw?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:37 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:

NASA gets $50 billion of our tax paying money and it's comforting to know it's all going to a worthwhile and noble cause.

Considering your witty and intelligent posts I would say in your head.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:05 PM

5,536 posts, read 2,412,499 times
Quote:
Its amazing how smart we were in 1969 in that we were able to go to the moon and land on it. This was before computers, cell phones and microwaves were invented. Absolutely brilliant.
Well, you're showing how little you know. Computers have been around since way before 1969, and computers were used in the years before and during the Apollo program. Consumer cell phones were not around, which is irrelevant, but microwaves and microwave communications definitely were around even before the Apollo program. The necessary technology was all there, and this is a no-brainer.

Instead of throwing out baseless and indefensible statements, go and do some research. Or maybe you're afraid of the truth.

Old 03-16-2018, 12:56 PM

199 posts, read 125,608 times
Quote:

I will concede that the "Race to the moon" was done entirely for political reasons, much like the Olympics Competitions of that era. It was all about proving the American system was superior to the USSR system. The scientific advances were just a side effect.

Since the USSR failed to reach the moon before the US, it would have been a great propaganda victory for the USSR if they could show the moon landing was fake. You know, they kind of had telescopes way back then.

Ultimately NASA may end up saving all of mankind by preventing a some what bigger "rock" from striking the earth. I would say that's a pretty good benefit for mankind.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:12 PM

7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Quote:
The moon landing conspirators are crazy in my opinion. Everyone knows we went to the moon. We have pictures and video to prove it. Plus we all know the government never lies to us.

Its amazing how smart we were in 1969 in that we were able to go to the moon and land on it. This was before computers, cell phones and microwaves were invented. Absolutely brilliant. My favorite part of the mission was when President Nixon called Neil Armstrong from his land line phone. Oh and the moon bars.
Tongue-in-cheek aside, computers did exist, and in fact were REQUIRED in order to make it all work.

Here's the Apollo Guidance Computer that was onboard the command module.

Microwave relay links were available as early as the 1950's.

Cell phones weren't invented until the early 1970's, but analog radio telephones were around already for a long time.

Old 03-16-2018, 02:50 PM

8,056 posts, read 1,875,603 times
I am not 100% convinced either way, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the U.S. went from not even having a Sputnik-quality satellite in 1957 to being able to get three men to the moon just 12 years later, have two of them actually walk on the moon, and then return them to earth safely.

To me, it would be like going from the invention of the outboard motor to the completion of a nuclear submarine in the same amount of time.

Again, I am not saying that it didn't happen, but just that the idea is mind-boggling.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:05 PM

53,393 posts, read 42,842,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I am not 100% convinced either way, but I just can't wrap my head around the fact that the U.S. went from not even having a Sputnik-quality satellite in 1957 to being able to get three men to the moon just 12 years later, have two of them actually walk on the moon, and then return them to earth safely.

To me, it would be like going from the invention of the outboard motor to the completion of a nuclear submarine in the same amount of time.

Again, I am not saying that it didn't happen, but just that the idea is mind-boggling.
Look how fast we built a working A-bomb from scratch (less than 4 years). Assuming of course that a-bombs really work and aren't all faked by the government.

Heck, go compare the first iphone to what is out now about 10 years or so later....and that's just one company, not the full weight of the US government.

In terms of technological development in the last 70 years, 12 years is freakin' forever.

Old 03-16-2018, 03:15 PM

5,975 posts, read 2,609,766 times
Simple answer. The race to the moon had huge stakes when it came to international prestige. It was essentially positioned as a race between the American approach to problem-solving and the Soviet one.

With that in mind, let's ask the conspiracy moonbats: If the moon landings had indeed been faked, how come the Soviet Union didn't call us out on it? With their vast intelligence, science, and propaganda apparatus, why did they not simply point out that the Americans were committing a fraud, complete with evidence?

Old 03-16-2018, 03:31 PM

8,056 posts, read 1,875,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Look how fast we built a working A-bomb from scratch (less than 4 years). Assuming of course that a-bombs really work and aren't all faked by the government.

Heck, go compare the first iphone to what is out now about 10 years or so later....and that's just one company, not the full weight of the US government.

In terms of technological development in the last 70 years, 12 years is freakin' forever.
I am NOT arguing with this, but I am just wondering why, even now, much simpler projects take several years to go from an idea to a workable design, and then it takes even more years and sometimes many failures before the design actually comes to fruition

It also just amazes me that no U.S. astronauts met their deaths in space until about 25 years after the first manned Mercury launch. In comparison, look at how many test pilots lost their lives during the early days of rocket testing. Yes, of course, much is accomplished and learned through simulations now, but again, I just think about what has been accomplished in the past 60 years as far as getting humans into space (and other accomplishments, too) and . . . well, words fail me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or