U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2018, 08:03 PM

7,160 posts, read 3,912,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Well, we had a very complex pattern recognition and course correction system known as an "astronaut" in the loop. Neil Armstrong was a piloting demigod, take a look at his career.
And even he almost died testing the “flying bedstead”....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xJa4yQ0AIbU

Old 03-27-2018, 12:24 PM

252 posts, read 212,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus86 View Post
Not even today would it be that easy to fake those moon landings in a way that looked completely natural to a physicist or geologist - you would have to make sure that the astronauts moved exactly like they are supposed to move in 1/6 gravity.
IF it was faked, how can you be sure what would look "completely natural to a physicist or geologist"?
If nobody ever went there, there is no evidence of how it should look, is there? The only thing to do today if you were to fake it again is to fake it the same way they did the last time and the times before

Just saying...

Old 03-27-2018, 04:26 PM

33,767 posts, read 17,301,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yard View Post
IF it was faked, how can you be sure what would look "completely natural to a physicist or geologist"?
If nobody ever went there, there is no evidence of how it should look, is there?
Geologists are what we call "pretty durn smart". Those with an interest in selenology have extended quite some time wondering what rocks that spent a few million years in an oxygen-free, waterless, windless and high-radiation environment would be like. Hint: Not like anything we find on Earth.

Quote:
Just saying...
Yeah, just saying. It's the same issue as with the engineering quibbles:: Nobody qualified backs the idea. Nobody with a geology degree backs the idea. Nobody has stepped forth with a way to make fake moon rocks that can't be told from samples. (That would be a paper.)

Old 03-28-2018, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Geologists are what we call "pretty durn smart". Those with an interest in selenology have extended quite some time wondering what rocks that spent a few million years in an oxygen-free, waterless, windless and high-radiation environment would be like. Hint: Not like anything we find on Earth.

Yeah, just saying. It's the same issue as with the engineering quibbles:: Nobody qualified backs the idea. Nobody with a geology degree backs the idea. Nobody has stepped forth with a way to make fake moon rocks that can't be told from samples. (That would be a paper.)
I was referring to the 1/6 gravity that was mentioned.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yard View Post
I was referring to the 1/6 gravity that was mentioned.
How did geology get mixed into that? Never mind...

Old 03-28-2018, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
And even he almost died testing the “flying bedstead”....
He almost died many, many times. The writing style is a little on the flashy side, but here's an outline:

https://curious-droid.com/279/neil-a...-times-apollo/

Old 03-28-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
How did geology get mixed into that? Never mind...
I don't know but it was mentioned in the post that I quoted

Old 03-29-2018, 04:13 PM

7,160 posts, read 3,912,101 times
Quote:
He almost died many, many times. The writing style is a little on the flashy side, but here's an outline:

https://curious-droid.com/279/neil-a...-times-apollo/
Thanks - was aware of a few of these, not all. To be honest a few of them aren't really "cheating" death, and a couple seem like pilot error.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:51 PM

11,825 posts, read 13,966,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The moon has no atmosphere and has a gravitational pull less than 42% that of Mars. Plus, unlike the Mars Rovers, we had the luxury of carting more equipment to what was a celestial body next door.

Just sayin'...
Not to mention: it was manned so actual people could control its descent.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I listened to Neil DeGrasse Tyson talk about this, he said it would be more difficult to fake than it would be to just to go there. I believe we went. I don't think we went back because there really wasn't a reason to. Not much there.
I'm curious about two things about this post:

1. Why would you take his (DeGrasse's) word for it?

2. If there wasn't much there, why go six times?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or