U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2018, 11:06 AM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
NASA would not fly a car to the moon ex post facto out of fear people would not see one in their very powerful telescope and uncover the ruse. That's ridiculous.
Yes, that's a ridiculous idea. But the Moon Hoaxers have put forward far more ridiculous ones already.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:52 PM

6,990 posts, read 6,737,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
So - you saw images that 100% conformed with records of the Apollo landings and weren't "too impressed", yet you expect us to believe you'd consider the question settled if you saw the same images in a terrestrial telescope.

This is not going to go anywhere, is it?
I wasn’t too impressed; the images were terrible. Hardly a case-closer. If that is the best they do with this decade’s technology, somebody is deliberately fooling with us.

If I saw the rover and other artifacts sitting on the lunar surface through a telescope with my own two eyes, sure. I believe they call that “visual recon” in military jargon. That image can’t be doctored or manipulated. It’s either there or it isn’t, verified 1st person in your visual cortex. I believe you can still trust your own two eyes or rather your senses in general. Everything (and body) else, good luck.

Who’s to say it hasn’t already gone somewhere? (To answer a question with a question).

Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I wasn’t too impressed; the images were terrible. Hardly a case-closer. If that is the best they do with this decade’s technology, somebody is deliberately fooling with us.

If I saw the rover and other artifacts sitting on the lunar surface through a telescope with my own two eyes, sure. I believe they call that “visual recon” in military jargon. That image can’t be doctored or manipulated. It’s either there or it isn’t, verified 1st person in your visual cortex. I believe you can still trust your own two eyes or rather your senses in general. Everything (and body) else, good luck.

Who’s to say it hasn’t already gone somewhere? (To answer a question with a question).
It's a point of view, certainly.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:02 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,138,368 times
I'm not in favor of using many...well, ANY tax dollars to engage in a glorified snipe hunt. Other than some people's lack of understanding, there is nothing further to be gained from it.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reds37win View Post
I'm not in favor of using many...well, ANY tax dollars to engage in a glorified snipe hunt. Other than some people's lack of understanding, there is nothing further to be gained from it.
Quite agree. The LRO missions served a different purpose, imaging the landing sites was coincidental. And a fat lot of good it did to sway the Moon hoaxers.

Old 05-08-2018, 07:17 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,104,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Post on the Long Island forum that you’re doing research and are looking for Grumman engineers who built the LM. I’m sure you will get responses or leads.

Sometimes I think the whole hoax thing started after the Capricorn One movie came out in the late 70’s.

LM was built on Long Island?

Did the hoax claims start in earnest after Capicorn One came out?

Old 05-09-2018, 05:34 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
LM was built on Long Island?

Did the hoax claims start in earnest after Capicorn One came out?
“The Grumman Lunar Module was the first vehicle to land man on an extraterrestrial body, the Moon. Because it was designed to fly solely in space, its design, construction and testing continuously pushed the technology envelope for lightweight metals and unique electrical and electronic systems resulting in one of the most important and successful engineering achievements of mankind.

The milestone plaque may be viewed at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, Battle Management and Engagement Systems' Headquarters, Building 25, 600 Grumman Road West, Bethpage, NY 11714, where some of the Grumman Lunar Module engineering was executed. Building 25 is next to the original Grumman building 5 where the Grumman Lunar Module was built and tested.”

“In 1976, a man named Bill Kaysing (a former technical writer for Rocketdyne) self-published a book called We Never Went to the Moon: America’s Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle. In it, Bill claimed not just that Apollo 11 never happened, but that people have never been to the Moon at all. He cited a variety of evidence, and even put forward his own theory for how NASA and the American government could pull it off.

While Kaysing isn’t first person to have the idea, he’s considered the man who popularised the Moon Hoax conspiracy. And just one year after We Never Went to the Moon was published, Peter Hyam’s Capricorn One was released.”

Old 05-09-2018, 09:00 AM

2,097 posts, read 1,138,368 times
If we were to overlay the people who do not believe in the moon landing with the people who believe the earth is flat...would we be talking about the same subset?

Old 05-09-2018, 04:31 PM

4,635 posts, read 5,502,337 times
Quote:
“In 1976, a man named Bill Kaysing (a former technical writer for Rocketdyne) self-published a book called We Never Went to the Moon: America’s Thirty Billion Dollar Swindle."

Here are some amusing one-star reviews on Amazon of the 'book':

https://www.amazon.com/We-Never-Went...ews-filter-bar

Old 05-09-2018, 08:35 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,104,251 times
Quote:
The milestone plaque may be viewed at Northrop Grumman Aerospace Systems, Battle Management and Engagement Systems' Headquarters, Building 25, 600 Grumman Road West, Bethpage, NY 11714, where some of the Grumman Lunar Module engineering was executed. Building 25 is next to the original Grumman building 5 where the Grumman Lunar Module was built and tested.”

Thanks. I'm somewhat familiar with Bethpage. I don't think anything cutting edge is built/tested in that town anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or