U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2018, 12:35 PM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm willing to bet most of the people in here that are so certain it happened the way NASA told us it happened have not spent much time at all looking at any of the compelling arguments condemning the Moon landings. (I suppose I don't spend much time hunting around for evidence to support things I don't want to be true either.)
I have, except I find none of them compelling under scrutiny. And in the process, I've gained massive admiration for the engineering behind the Apollo project.

So - where are those compelling arguments? Because it seems to me we're reduced to personal incredulity, Vril fighters and strawmen of the "I bet you believe everything government tells you" variety.

Old 05-18-2018, 05:23 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,104,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
"And when Alexander saw the breadth of his domain, he wept for there were no more worlds to conquer."

Buzz Aldrin was in the same boat.

What, exactly, do you do for an encore, after you've walked on the Moon?

What could you possibly do now, that would even remotely compare to that feat?

There were no more challenges.

So, then, why didn't other foreign States challenge the US claim?

After walking on the moon? Begin research/work necessary to walk on Mars, work on getting to the moon more cheaply, get involved with the space shuttle (though it seems less complex, ironically), research more advanced propulsion systems, etc. He had a terminal degree from an elite institution.

Perhaps they fooled foreign States.

Incidentally, I'm not convinced we weren't on the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Buzz also was an alcoholic even before heading to the moon. He also had no other plan in life, which is tough. He probably would have been better off being on a later mission with less fame.
He tried his hand at selling Cadillacs. IIRC, he didn't even make one sale.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:27 PM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
Unlikely. There was an aggressive competitor with tons of expertise in aerospace engineering and a deep-rooted motive to uncover any shenanigans. 1970s Soviet Union would have LOVED to rub NASA's nose in a forgery, if they could have made it stick.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 AM

7,260 posts, read 4,846,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Buzz also was an alcoholic even before heading to the moon. He also had no other plan in life, which is tough. He probably would have been better off being on a later mission with less fame.

Quote:
He tried his hand at selling Cadillacs. IIRC, he didn't even make one sale.
I think ol' Buzz did alright for himself. Commanded the Air Force Test Pilot School, got a Ph.D. in astrophysics, developed a space studies program for a university, wrote several books, invented a revolutionary method for transporting astronauts and colonists back and forth between the Earth and Mars, and - most importantly - did two episodes of The Simpsons and a rap video with Snoop Doggy Dog, and competed on Dancing With The Stars. For a guy with no sense of direction, he sure seems to have ricocheted off of some pretty interesting distractions.

Plus, he could probably kick the ass of half the people in this thread who claim he never walked on the moon.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:28 PM

1,593 posts, read 1,104,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Plus, he could probably kick the ass of half the people in this thread who claim he never walked on the moon.
He took a swing at Bart Siebel (sp?). Bart deserved it.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:33 PM

20,681 posts, read 14,654,220 times
Quote:
After walking on the moon? Begin research/work necessary to walk on Mars, work on getting to the moon more cheaply, get involved with the space shuttle (though it seems less complex, ironically), research more advanced propulsion systems, etc. He had a terminal degree from an elite institution.

Sitting around all day using a slide-rule to develop a more advanced propulsion system ranks as high as walking on on the Moon?

I'm just not seeing it.

In case you hadn't noticed, no one else has come up with a better propulsion system, either.

Quote:

Moon rocks are not a State Secret. They've been studied by numerous geologists and geo-physicists from different countries. If the Moon rocks were of Earth origin, the game would have been exposed long ago.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:20 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,737,803 times
Quote:
He took a swing at Bart Siebel (sp?). Bart deserved it.
Even he admitted later that he was out of line and probably shouldn't have confronted him like that.

Now, Aldrin taking a swing at the guy rather than taking 20 seconds out of his life to put his hand on the Bible, swearing he walked on the Moon (easy enough to do if you've really done it right?) and taken his $5000 to donate to charity was a very, shall we say, interesting way to handle somebody who's supposedly a joke and not worth getting worked up about.

Sibrel's A funny thing happened on the way to the Moon is worth watching for anybody who hasn't. It glosses over a lot it quickly but it's a decent place to start.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:29 AM

20,920 posts, read 9,820,822 times
Aldrin is 88 years old. I think we all know people can change as they get older, especially approaching 90. I don't agree how he responded, but again, maybe cut him some slack.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:42 AM

6,990 posts, read 6,737,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Unlikely. There was an aggressive competitor with tons of expertise in aerospace engineering and a deep-rooted motive to uncover any shenanigans. 1970s Soviet Union would have LOVED to rub NASA's nose in a forgery, if they could have made it stick.
I think it is dubious at best to rely on the Soviet Union's response (or lack thereof) to the Apollo missions as evidence in support of the official story. Maybe they would have liked to rub NASA's nose in it and maybe they'd decided to play poker face and keep it in their back pocket. We can't know. Just exactly how they would have gone about debunking the Moon landings in a compelling way is also a little tricky. There was no internet back then. They probably weren't going take out a 30 minute spot on NBC during primetime to explain it to everyone, which would never be allowed by any state-controlled media anyway, nor were they going to drop leaflets out of an airplane over US airspace. At best it becomes NASA's word against theirs, and NASA had one of the grandest pieces of propaganda in history on it's side (whether you believe it true or not). So you can see that in certain cases...possibly this one, it might have made more sense just to keep their mouths shut and not let on what you know or suspect. They were probably planning something. Their own manned expedition perhaps, but we know they make no claims of that ever happening.

Old 05-20-2018, 05:53 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I think it is dubious at best to rely on the Soviet Union's response (or lack thereof) to the Apollo missions as evidence in support of the official story. Maybe they would have liked to rub NASA's nose in it and maybe they'd decided to play poker face and keep it in their back pocket. We can't know. Just exactly how they would have gone about debunking the Moon landings in a compelling way is also a little tricky. There was no internet back then. They probably weren't going take out a 30 minute spot on NBC during primetime to explain it to everyone, which would never be allowed by any state-controlled media anyway, nor were they going to drop leaflets out of an airplane over US airspace. At best it becomes NASA's word against theirs, and NASA had one of the grandest pieces of propaganda in history on it's side (whether you believe it true or not). So you can see that in certain cases...possibly this one, it might have made more sense just to keep their mouths shut and not let on what you know or suspect. They were probably planning something. Their own manned expedition perhaps, but we know they make no claims of that ever happening.
You seem to know little to nothing about the Soviet lunar program. It was not a “perhaps”, it was a major competition which lasted until 1969.

I suggest you read up as it will be of interest as well as instructive.

Also, if you’re not old enough to remember the Cold War you wouldn’t remember how the Soviets rubbed the USA’s noses in any failure. There is NO way they would keep a US fraud secret in the 60’s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or