U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-04-2018, 05:53 AM
 
7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Reputation: 6765

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I feel the Van Allen Belt issue is a Red Herring. It is not important as soon as we have advanced propulsion methods.

NASA is a front organisation for the governments publicity on space exploration. Nothing more. However much money is spent, it is just a way to allow us the population, to believe that rocket science is the most up-to-date method of getting into space. Which is rubbish of course.

==================

I was not aware that any of the Mars rovers returned home to Earth, did they? I understood that Curiosity was still up there sending back images - or else they are being generated by NASA.

Assuming people do not know or cannot be bothered to look it up is dangerous to your argument.

This The Guardian UK newspaper article suggests that a dose of 1Sv is not fatal but would cause radiation sickness. Measurements in Sv/1000 or mSv (1Sv = 1000mSv)
Note for your radiation argument that is for a single acute dose. Exposure over weeks or months such as during a space mission would not produce radiation sickness. And the article says “could cause”, not will cause.

 
Old 06-06-2018, 05:20 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950
...And these scientists say "will cause".

Space radiation more hazardous: Implications for astronauts and satellites

Date:
March 15, 2018
Source:
University of New Hampshire
Summary:
It might sound like something from a science fiction plot - astronauts traveling into deep space being bombarded by cosmic rays - but radiation exposure is science fact. As future missions look to travel back to the moon or even to Mars, new research cautions that the exposure to radiation is much higher than previously thought and could have serious implications on both astronauts and satellite technology.

Quote:
The radiation dose rates from measurements obtained over the last four years exceeded trends from previous solar cycles by at least 30 percent, showing that the radiation environment is getting far more intense," said Nathan Schwadron, professor of physics and lead author of the study. "These particle radiation conditions present important environmental factors for space travel and space weather, and must be carefully studied and accounted for in the planning and design of future missions to the moon, Mars, asteroids and beyond.
My embolden...
Quote:
Unshielded astronauts could experience acute effects like radiation sickness or more serious long-term health issues like cancer and organ damage, including to the heart, brain, and central nervous system.
 
Old 06-06-2018, 07:31 AM
 
Location: NW NJ & SE Oahu
4,636 posts, read 5,505,833 times
Reputation: 4233
I've wondered about health statistics of people on higher elevations, as opposed to sea-level. Is there any evidence of increased radiation risks when living up there?
 
Old 06-06-2018, 11:31 AM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...And these scientists say "will cause".
Actually, they say "could experience". Nobody is saying that it's not a problem. In fact, sunburst activity was a well-known and very carefully monitored risk during Apollo. It was completely acknowledged that crew on the lunar surface or in the thin-skinned LM would be at risk if a sudden sunburst was triggered.

It's space, stuff's dangerous.
 
Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 6,743,583 times
Reputation: 5188
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
.


The first three men who were supposed to land on the moon were killed in the capsule here on earth without even getting off the ground, IIRC. Then, there were multiple missions to the moon where no one was killed. Moving on in time, two space shuttle missions resulted their crew getting killed.

Gus Grissom. Him and the other two fellas were supposed to be the first ones. Some suspect he was "accidented" on purpose, along with the other two. Supposedly they found the bodies still strapped into their harnesses suggesting they were dead already when the fire broke out and it was just to make double sure they were dead and make the whole thing look like a plausible accident. Something about a lemon he hung on the capsule to signify what a piece of crap it was. The theory is that they knew he was a bit too much of a straight shooter and would never keep quiet once he figured out the Apollo missions were not actually going to the Moon, so he had to be gotten rid of.
 
Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 PM
 
199 posts, read 125,608 times
Reputation: 233
You know, I almost think that the inane conspiracies are floated about just to obfuscate the real ones.
 
Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Gus Grissom. Him and the other two fellas were supposed to be the first ones.
That's - not true.

Quote:
Some suspect...
Some like to take a leak on the grave of much better men than themselves to feel clever. It's not endearing.

Now, here's why it's an idiotic theory: The fire in AS-204 was due to a dangerous design flaw (launching with a pure oxygen atmosphere at ground-level pressure) - a problem that had been ignored because, well, it had gone well so far. And the problem with egress was a a plug-type door that couldn't be opened while the capsule was pressurized.

So for this particular conspiracy to work, North American Aviation and NASA would have to agree to design a deliberately flawed spacecraft for the purpose of murdering astronauts to keep them quiet. The plot hinges on having the exact right people in the craft and trigger an accident at the right time, then go back to the drawing board and re-do the craft and the launch procedures, all the while being investigated by a very unfriendly Congress. It's beyond preposterous.

This would have to be the single most complicated murder plot in history. I wonder what sort of Rube Goldberg plan the CTers could have dreamt up for non-astronaut whistleblowers?
 
Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 AM
 
12,333 posts, read 3,249,816 times
Reputation: 8207
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
You know, I almost think that the inane conspiracies are floated about just to obfuscate the real ones.
Thats actually how the CIA used the term 'conspiracy theory(ist)' in the past, it was the most effective way to discredit secrets that had been leaked out.
 
Old 06-13-2018, 04:16 PM
 
7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Reputation: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...And these scientists say "will cause".

Space radiation more hazardous: Implications for astronauts and satellites

Date:
March 15, 2018
Source:
University of New Hampshire
Summary:
It might sound like something from a science fiction plot - astronauts traveling into deep space being bombarded by cosmic rays - but radiation exposure is science fact. As future missions look to travel back to the moon or even to Mars, new research cautions that the exposure to radiation is much higher than previously thought and could have serious implications on both astronauts and satellite technology.

My embolden...
And AGAIN, your bold part says “could have serious implications”. Not will.

If Moon missions were so dangerous why are so many astronauts still alive into their 80’s?
 
Old 06-13-2018, 04:18 PM
 
7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Reputation: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Actually, they say "could experience". Nobody is saying that it's not a problem. In fact, sunburst activity was a well-known and very carefully monitored risk during Apollo. It was completely acknowledged that crew on the lunar surface or in the thin-skinned LM would be at risk if a sudden sunburst was triggered.

It's space, stuff's dangerous.
If you read James Michener’s Space, it has an Apollo 18 mission that ends up badly for this reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:04 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top