U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-14-2018, 08:42 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 6,743,583 times
Reputation: 5188

Advertisements

"They" is the CIA, for everybody following along at home. The intelligence agency has had assets in Hollywood for as long as it has been around (late 40's?)

Why did they allow Capricorn 1 to be made? I can only speculate that it is either because they have a sense of humor or were guessing it would look worse to not allow it to be made. It turned out to be a silly movie that nobody took too seriously, which is exactly what they wanted. Most people will believe anything they are told anyway.

Last edited by UrbanAdventurer; 07-14-2018 at 08:50 PM..

 
Old 07-15-2018, 10:55 AM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
CIA decides what movies are put out. Mmmkay, then.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 6,743,583 times
Reputation: 5188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
CIA decides what movies are put out. Mmmkay, then.
You've never heard the government was involved in Hollywood? LOL, I thought everybody knew that. I guess Von Braun visited the set of 2001 because he was just a movie buff.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 06:25 PM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
You've never heard the government was involved in Hollywood? LOL, I thought everybody knew that. I guess Von Braun visited the set of 2001 because he was just a movie buff.
Yeah, you're going to have connect the dots a bit on that one.
 
Old 07-15-2018, 09:21 PM
 
Location: Ohio
20,723 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Reputation: 16981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Hulsker 1856, I suspected a plasma physicist working in the defence industry might know something about nuclear isotopes but obviously not if, as you say, he has it all wrong.

However, it is telling you appear to be doing a hatchet job on Dr John Brandenburg for no partuicular reason other than you do not like what he claims and what I said.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No offense to Dr. Brandenburg but it seems to me, at least, that these aren't exactly overlapping fields of expertise. The physics of nuclear explosions and the ensuing fallout products is a lifetime study in and of itself, as is the study of atmospheric conditions on other planets.

That being said, Xe-129 isn't listed as a byproduct of a nuclear explosion anywhere I can find. It's a stable isotope, brought forth by the decay of I-129, and I-129 isn't very active - half-life of 16 million years. And yet, Xe-129 being a byproduct of a nuclear explosion seemed to be the cornerstone of the argument.
You are correct.

In the S-3 Section, we used to do nuclear fallout prediction in our sleep. Plutonium has the ability to produce about 49 fission products, and Xenon-129 isn't one of them.

The two most common fission products of Pu-239 are the creation of Krypton-89 and Cesium-148 or Zirconium-96 and Xenon-136, not Xenon-129.

US nuclear weapons contain a fractional amount of Plutonium-240, and Plutonium produced during the 1950s and early 1960s contains infinitesimal amounts of Pu-241. Other countries who don't run their nuclear reactors properly might end up with a small amount of Pu-242, less than 0.2%.

However, in no case would that produce Xenon-129.

In fact, it's physically impossible for Pu-239, Pu-240, Pu-241 or Pu-242 to produce anything other than Xenon-131, Xenon-134, Xenon-135 or Xenon-136 during the fission process.

So, Dr John Brandenburg's claim defies the Laws of Physics.
 
Old 07-17-2018, 01:46 PM
 
12,333 posts, read 3,249,816 times
Reputation: 8207
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
"They" is the CIA, for everybody following along at home. The intelligence agency has had assets in Hollywood for as long as it has been around (late 40's?)

Why did they allow Capricorn 1 to be made? I can only speculate that it is either because they have a sense of humor or were guessing it would look worse to not allow it to be made. It turned out to be a silly movie that nobody took too seriously, which is exactly what they wanted. Most people will believe anything they are told anyway.
Another good example is the Movie 'American Made' with Tom Cruise as the wild and crazy airline pilot back in the 70s that was recruited by the CIA to help run drugs into the country, (the CIA used part of the funds from drug running to house and train the contras btw). Not to mention showing the CIA going to great and extreme lengths to destroy any connections it had to this pilot!!

So, we have a major hollywood movie that is based on a true story, that has the CIA engaging in highly illegal activities...? OK!!

I sometimes think these movies are just their way of blatantly showing the general public.."See what we have done, what we can get away with".
 
Old 07-17-2018, 11:39 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950
Also the guy called Chip Tatum is a ex-CIA operative who also says the same thing (maybe it was him they based the movie on?). He was a very bad boy ! He implicated the Clintons too I believe.
 
Old 07-27-2018, 04:39 PM
 
6,994 posts, read 6,743,583 times
Reputation: 5188
Aldrin finally admits they never went to the Moon a few days ago.
 
Old 07-27-2018, 08:18 PM
 
22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Aldrin finally admits they never went to the Moon a few days ago.
That rumor has been going around since 2014 when some web site called Huzlers posted a spoof. It seems to have a history of publishing fabricated news stories.

ORIGINS: In November 2014, the Huzlers web site published an article recycling the old conspiracy theory that the moon landings were fake events staged on movie sets, claiming Apollo 11 astronaut Buzz Aldrin had recently admitted to such:

It is being reported that the Apollo 11 missions, which landed men for the first time on the moon, was in fact fake.
One of the astronauts on the Apollo 11 mission, Edwin “Buzz” Aldrin, confirmed that the Apollo 11 missions were “fake” and that the videos of the mission are simply showing a setup that was created to simulate how the moon and space would look. “Apollo 11 was not real, none of it was” Buzz Aldrin said in a video he recorded confessing to the Apollo 11 hoax, “I am ashamed to say this but I cannot hide it anymore, it was a setup, like the ones they use in Hollywood films, back in the 60’s, the U.S. was competing with the Soviet Union to achieve space flight supremacy, which was known as the “space race”. We were afraid the Soviets would beat us to the moon so we decided to fake the moon landings of Apollo 11 to say we were greater than the Soviets” concluded Buzz.

Shortly thereafter links and excerpts referencing this article were being circulated via social media, with many of those who encountered the item mistaking it for a genuine news report. However, that article was just a spoof from Huzlers, a web site that offers users the ability to “Create your own news prank and trick your friends by sharing it” and has a history of publishing fabricated news stories (such as one about pop star Justin Bieber‘s admitting to being bisexual and one about the 2014 Super Bowl being rigged). The Huzlers site also carries a disclaimer on its pages noting that “Huzlers.com is a combination of real shocking news and satire news to keep its visitors in a state of disbelief.”


https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/moony-tunes/

In view of the overwhelming evidence that we went to the moon, a person who continues to insist that we didn't is in serious denial.

Last edited by Mike555; 07-27-2018 at 08:27 PM..
 
Old 07-27-2018, 09:10 PM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
Aldrin finally admits they never went to the Moon a few days ago.
And this is why I enjoy debating this issue: I don't have to take the hoaxers seriously. So I don't.

I have fallen for my share of pies pipers, I have held some views that weren't on a sound foundation. But I have never been reduced to this sort of straw grasping.

I'm not proud of it, mind. But I find it impossible to suppress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:05 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top