U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-17-2018, 07:27 PM
 
33,706 posts, read 17,275,623 times
Reputation: 18491

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The first compelling reason. I don't think anyone is satisfied with the image quality of the video and pictures taken on the moon between 1969 and 1972. I think most people want some decent high definition images of the surface of the moon.
Wut? 70mm Kodak fine-grained film in arguably the world's finest camera isn't high-definition enough for you?

 
Old 08-17-2018, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
3,955 posts, read 2,019,847 times
Reputation: 3022
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
It’s data. They kept tons and tons of data. Do you really think that someone would likely care about tape #47, telemetry data from high-band antenna #2 from date X to date Y?

In an ideal world they should have archived everything. But NASA’s budget was being cut starting in the late 60’s (correct, even before the first moon landing), tape is expensive and they could reuse it.

I don’t find it suspicious at all, from an engineering standpoint it seems obvious.
Very true. We recorded wind tunnel test data on tape, and it was hard to get. They turned off every other flourescent light fixture in oiffices; telephones were removed from individual desks; heat was cut way back; even mowing the grass was curtailed. Those were bad times for the Agency.

From about 1967 onward NASA funding being slashed, and quickly. The first Reduction in Force at Marshall Space Fight Center was about 10% ... over 700 from a workforce of something over 7000. There were several layoffs after that for several years, many of which were in the Apollo era.
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:32 PM
 
33,706 posts, read 17,275,623 times
Reputation: 18491
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
If there was any image doctoring it was probably along the lines of adjustment for color contrast and illumination. This happens all the time with astronomy images. Otherwise... meh, this is more conspiracy rubbish.
There's little doubt in my mind that some of the photos handed out in press kits were adjusted like that, to make them more attractive to print. NASA's PR office aren't dummies.

But hi-res scans of the complete film magazines - including the tilted and out-of-focus ones - can be found here:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/images11.html

Most of them are taken for scientific or engineering purposes and are, frankly, sorta boring.
 
Old 08-17-2018, 09:55 PM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Reputation: 37262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's little doubt in my mind that some of the photos handed out in press kits were adjusted like that, to make them more attractive to print. NASA's PR office aren't dummies.

But hi-res scans of the complete film magazines - including the tilted and out-of-focus ones - can be found here:

https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/images11.html

Most of them are taken for scientific or engineering purposes and are, frankly, sorta boring.
Like the this inane thread
 
Old 08-22-2018, 09:33 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Reputation: 2950
From the other thread before it got closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjame68
Extrapolate Goddard’s initial liquid fuel rocket work to the V2 to the Jupiter to the Saturn V.
All observable and verifiable. Each step built on the previous one.
Look at Mercury, then Gemini, then Apollo, all observable and verifiable.
I reserve for you what I reserve for the other people who deny logic and fact.
Unfortunately for your argument this works both ways.

Quote:
All observable and verifiable. Each step built on the previous one.
...all observable and verifiable.
You also need to acknowledge the design of strange craft has apparently advanced over the years from a diamond-shaped or saucer-shaped craft which made a noise and shot flames out from its engine underneath to one these days which is described as silent, cigar or triangular-shaped and has lights on the bottom. You would expect this if the military scientists were working hard to develop new strange craft - right?

Now, who is denying fact and logic?



Tek_Freek - this thread now has 44 pages of posts?
I guess some people must think it is kind of interesting, so, if you find it boring why are you still posting?
 
Old 08-23-2018, 05:39 AM
 
7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Reputation: 6670
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
From the other thread before it got closed.
Unfortunately for your argument this works both ways.

You also need to acknowledge the design of strange craft has apparently advanced over the years from a diamond-shaped or saucer-shaped craft which made a noise and shot flames out from its engine underneath to one these days which is described as silent, cigar or triangular-shaped and has lights on the bottom. You would expect this if the military scientists were working hard to develop new strange craft - right?

Now, who is denying fact and logic?



Tek_Freek - this thread now has 44 pages of posts?
I guess some people must think it is kind of interesting, so, if you find it boring why are you still posting?
Where is the proof - by publicly available and credible sources - of these cigar or triangular shaped craft?

You mention my logic works both ways, where is your logic?
 
Old 08-23-2018, 10:48 AM
 
28,607 posts, read 40,588,688 times
Reputation: 37262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
From the other thread before it got closed.
Unfortunately for your argument this works both ways.

You also need to acknowledge the design of strange craft has apparently advanced over the years from a diamond-shaped or saucer-shaped craft which made a noise and shot flames out from its engine underneath to one these days which is described as silent, cigar or triangular-shaped and has lights on the bottom. You would expect this if the military scientists were working hard to develop new strange craft - right?

Now, who is denying fact and logic?



Tek_Freek - this thread now has 44 pages of posts?
I guess some people must think it is kind of interesting, so, if you find it boring why are you still posting?
Because I'm fascinated by the stupid things people believe. It's like an ingrown hair or a zit that won't pop. You want to leave it alone, but you can't.
 
Old 08-23-2018, 06:44 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68
Where is the proof - by publicly available and credible sources - of these cigar or triangular shaped craft?
You mention my logic works both ways, where is your logic?
Yeah - right. Which part about my post didn't you understand because I thought it was fairly clear?

From my own perspective, my logic goes like this. I have to say to myself that some people just live in a separate world where the news, TV, and media does not impinge on their reality.

We all filter our world through a 'screen' of our beliefs and so if we believe something is true or not true, then it is modified or filtered as it comes through the screen. My own screen/filter is based on and modified by what I think, read, watch, and talk about. If those sources are missing or not representative of reality then I have to make up my own screen/filter. It is always possible the filter of reality through which we look out on our world is warped and distorted and so we have an unreal view of the world in which we live. There are various clinical names for these mental states if they get too unusual. As I just said above, on a public forum, there are going to be people who have very different views of their world to the world I see from behind my filter screen.

The sources of public information I find tell me there are cigar and triangular shaped craft in our skies behaving in unusual ways and I choose to believe it.
 
Old 08-23-2018, 07:23 PM
 
4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
Reputation: 6034
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Where is the proof - by publicly available and credible sources - of these cigar or triangular shaped craft?

You mention my logic works both ways, where is your logic?
Don't feed the troll.
 
Old 08-23-2018, 07:26 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
3,898 posts, read 2,493,902 times
Reputation: 4981
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The Soviets were landing a rover around the time of the US landing so they clearly were monitoring telemetry.

Jodrell Bank tracked the landing itself via their radio telescope.

There are so many proof points and incremental successes leading up to the moon program that it would have to be a many-billion dollar, many thousand-person secret to be a hoax. As I’ve said before Occam’s Razor applies.

The moon landing was risky. Armstrong was told that if he couldn’t pull it off the first time to come home safely and he and Aldrin would get a second shot on the next flight.

Anyone denying it based upon being “hard” doesn’t realize the millions of man hours, brainpower and training that went into it.



There will always be a percentage of people that will never believe we went to the moon. They're just missing an important part of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:57 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top