U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-27-2017, 09:55 AM
 
8,703 posts, read 2,539,241 times
Reputation: 9887

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Bad analogy. A better one would be that the US explodes an atomic bomb over Japan and keeps it secret for 50 years.

Not knowing what your building? Fine. Hiding the empirical evidence of using it? Not possible. The Soviets were tracking Apollo all the way to the moon. So was Jodrell Bank.

20 July 1969: Jodrell Bank telescope tracked Eagle lander onto the surface of the Moon - Jodrell Bank
And where was it getting its signals from?

You're not understanding the ideology behind compartmentalization and separated tasks with minimal information about what employees as individuals are doing. Perhaps a team of scientists were creating signals for whatever reason they were told to create them, and these were sent out. Far fetched? Perhaps. Possible? Yep.

Watch the video. These are documented cases of people not being fully aware.

 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:11 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,591 posts, read 56,477,049 times
Reputation: 69820
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post

New Conspiracy Theorist Claims To Have Proof That Apollo Moon Landing Was Fake

I really hope this isn't true, and it probably isn't.

I've heard this conspiracy theory a couple of times this year - and I just brushed it off with an eye roll. But, after seeing some of these theorist's videos, seeing their proof and reading in detail why they feel that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax, I'm honestly starting to wonder now....

I mean, if this turns out to be true - what ELSE has the U.S. Government 'shown' us that is ALSO fake?!

And another thing....why hasn't the U.S. ever gone back to the moon since July 20th, 1969? Our technology now must surely surpass what we had back in the 60s, yeah?
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There were six manned moon landings between 1969 and 1972.

Why don't we go back now? It's very expensive, and there's no compelling reason to make a short trip. We've been there, done that. Not going to find anything new and exciting on the moon in a brief visit. I don't think we'll go back until (if & when) there is a plan for people to stay on the moon for an extended time.
I found this one of the most bizarre statements EVER on City-Data, and that says a lot.

How can it be possible that an adult person presumably living in the US thinks that the US went to the moon only once?
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:13 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,591 posts, read 56,477,049 times
Reputation: 69820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
C'mon.
Exactly. Unless the OP is a young teenager who has lived a very sheltered life, I think this is a troll thread.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:15 AM
 
698 posts, read 431,129 times
Reputation: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
How can it be possible that an adult person presumably living in the US thinks that the US went to the moon only once?
Lack of embrace of modernity. Preference to huddle instead in a stilted world of baseless myth and superstition.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:18 AM
 
6,040 posts, read 4,571,805 times
Reputation: 16753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I found this one of the most bizarre statements EVER on City-Data, and that says a lot.

How can it be possible that an adult person presumably living in the US thinks that the US went to the moon only once?
C'mon it's on the interwebs in a youtube video!
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
58,591 posts, read 56,477,049 times
Reputation: 69820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troyfan View Post
All these conspiracies, Apollo, JFK, little green men, etc. are crap. The only one that's true: FDR knew the Japs were going to bomb Pearl Harbor.
Not exactly, though it's always fun and exciting to twist a little bit of truth to make a new fact, isn't it?

Ironically, the Internet and all its available information has had the effect of dumbing down some people rather than enhancing their knowledge base.

A map of Pearl Harbor had been recovered from Japanese spy sources, IIRC, but it was one piece of many thousands of intel that had come in. (Same as 9/11--there are still people who grab their crotches and dance around like palsied chickens over the "knowledge" that Bush had about someone wanting to fly planes into US targets. Along with the other 800 or so pieces of info that came in that day, somebody was supposed to figure out that this meant they were going to attack the WTC with planes on a certain date.)

So, yes, FDR knew (with a k) that Pearl Harbor might be a target. However, FDR, like a lot of Americans, also thought that Asians had bad eyesight because of the shape of their eyes, and so a sabotage of the military planes at Pearl Harbor was what they expected. They lined up the planes so that it would be easy to see anyone moving among them who wasn't supposed to be there--and that lineup made it very easy for the Japanese--who proved they COULD see when they dropped a bomb down the smokestack of the Arizona--to wipe out those aircraft row by row.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:48 AM
 
33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Reputation: 18556
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilFlowers17 View Post
I've heard this conspiracy theory a couple of times this year - and I just brushed it off with an eye roll.
That's pretty smart.

Quote:
But, after seeing some of these theorist's videos, seeing their proof and reading in detail why they feel that the Apollo Moon Landing was a hoax, I'm honestly starting to wonder now....
It's not a stagehand, it's Harrison "Jack" Schmitt photographing Gene Cernan. Simple as that.

Quote:
I mean, if this turns out to be true
It's not true.


Quote:
And another thing....why hasn't the U.S. ever gone back to the moon since July 20th, 1969? Our technology now must surely surpass what we had back in the 60s, yeah?
I see other people have handled the number of Moon landings. As for the technology, the hard and expensive bit - lifting mass to the Moon in a fairly reliable and safe manner - hasn't actually progressed that much. Chemical rockets, can only be tweaked to extract so much energy from their fuel/oxidizer. Why is a 787 not that much faster than an Apollo-era 747? Because the technology is mature. Same with rocketry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondayafternoons View Post
Just saw this thread, I would say it's possible but we will never know for sure
I'm quite sure. About as sure as I am that Gibraltar exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No one has ever been on the moon. At least not the way they say.
Really?

Why hasn't anyone - not one person - with aerospace engineering credentials been able to point to a component in Apollo and say "That bit right there couldn't have worked"? Either NASA went to the Moon, or NASA developed all the technology necessary, then decided not to use it and instead developed and launched, in deepest secrecy, all the tech necessary for the subterfuge. All the while keeping those who built the space hardware convinced that yes, the product of their engineering flew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I disagree, that there is no compelling reason for a moon trip at this time. The first compelling reason. I don't think anyone is satisfied with the image quality of the video and pictures taken on the moon between 1969 and 1972. I think most people want some decent high definition images of the surface of the moon.
Say what? 70 mm photos taken with probably the best camera in the world (Hasselblad) is not high definition enough? Then, pray tell, what is?

Quote:
The second compelling reason, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm pretty sure that after 50 years, scientists must have a few new experiments they would like to conduct on the moon. Technology has improved a lot in 50 years. A lot more data could be gathered on the moon today.
It's compelling but you don't know what it is, OK. And yes, people would like to go back, but it would be way more cost-effective to use unmanned craft. Robotics has advanced considerably.

And of course, the LRO has been back in low lunar orbit and provided us with excellent imagery of the landing sites.

Quote:
In order to go to the moon, you have to have a space program. At this point, we don't have one.
That'll make the guys working on the SLS, the Dragon 2 and the Dream Chaser pretty unhappy. The US space program is currently without manned capacity because of Congress' pork-barrel politics and an insistence on keeping the Shuttle flying for way too long, but look at the Mars rover tech - nobody, not one nation on Earth, can get close to that. JPL has some pretty clever guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And where was it getting its signals from?
I suggest you tell us. Something was orbiting the Moon and communicating with the ground. I think it's on the conspiracy believers to provide evidence that it wasn't an Apollo CSM.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 10:59 AM
 
698 posts, read 431,129 times
Reputation: 859
Ridiculousness has never given any conspiracy theorist much pause at all. If you can gain either money or power by simply making stupid stuff up, you can count on a certain sort's actually doing that. Repeatedly.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 11:02 AM
 
Location: Massachusetts
9,966 posts, read 10,975,393 times
Reputation: 13923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
It would also require that the tens of thousands of people from all over the world who would have known about it kept their mouths completey shut - never told a single soul, not ONE of them - for their entire lives.

Is there really anyone dumb enough to believe that's even remotely possible?



^This


People love to talk. They can't even film a TV show these days without filming a few false endings to keep people involved in the show from leaking the plot.
 
Old 11-27-2017, 11:15 AM
 
3,871 posts, read 1,987,781 times
Reputation: 5385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Not exactly, though it's always fun and exciting to twist a little bit of truth to make a new fact, isn't it?

Ironically, the Internet and all its available information has had the effect of dumbing down some people rather than enhancing their knowledge base.

A map of Pearl Harbor had been recovered from Japanese spy sources, IIRC, but it was one piece of many thousands of intel that had come in. (Same as 9/11--there are still people who grab their crotches and dance around like palsied chickens over the "knowledge" that Bush had about someone wanting to fly planes into US targets. Along with the other 800 or so pieces of info that came in that day, somebody was supposed to figure out that this meant they were going to attack the WTC with planes on a certain date.)

So, yes, FDR knew (with a k) that Pearl Harbor might be a target. However, FDR, like a lot of Americans, also thought that Asians had bad eyesight because of the shape of their eyes, and so a sabotage of the military planes at Pearl Harbor was what they expected. They lined up the planes so that it would be easy to see anyone moving among them who wasn't supposed to be there--and that lineup made it very easy for the Japanese--who proved they COULD see when they dropped a bomb down the smokestack of the Arizona--to wipe out those aircraft row by row.
There's no evidence but..the Russians knew in 6/41 that Japan had no plans to invade Vladivostok, etc. and no plans are harder to hide than plans.

Enough about FDR: there was a TV show about the Apollo "conspiracy" a few years ago. A few old codgers "proved" by using a leaf blower to show you needed air to disturb dust so the lunar module couldn't have lifted off the moon (exhaust gases were sufficient) and that a shadow changing orientation proved a picture was false (it fell across an object intersecting at a different angle)..stick to checkers, fellas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top