Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2018, 11:38 AM

5,463 posts, read 9,599,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Al Gore is incredibly awkward in this video.
I don't recall Al Gore ever being much of an eloquent public speaker as Vice President. Even Clinton seemed to stumble a bit in his own speech. Still, the point is that both Gore and Clinton indeed spoke on the 25th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission about the Armstrong and Aldrin crew historically first setting foot on the Moon, although the speakers didn't go into much of the details of the landing. The event was to honor those men as well as all the others of the Apollo missions, to promote future missions in space, and to promote international efforts, especially with respect to the space stations. Even the Soviet astronauts were credited for their own space missions, including being historically noted for being the very first to send anyone into space. It was also mentioned in the speech that during the first trip around the Moon (without landing), how impressed the astronauts were at seeing the Earth from that distance.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:59 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,113,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I don't recall Al Gore ever being much of an eloquent public speaker as Vice President. Even Clinton seemed to stumble a bit in his own speech. Still, the point is that both Gore and Clinton indeed spoke on the 25th Anniversary of the Apollo 11 Mission about the Armstrong and Aldrin crew historically first setting foot on the Moon, although the speakers didn't go into much of the details of the landing. The event was to honor those men as well as all the others of the Apollo missions, to promote future missions in space, and to promote international efforts, especially with respect to the space stations. Even the Soviet astronauts were credited for their own space missions, including being historically noted for being the very first to send anyone into space. It was also mentioned in the speech that during the first trip around the Moon (without landing), how impressed the astronauts were at seeing the Earth from that distance.
Absolutely. And of course I'm sure you've heard of Fallen Astronaut as well.

But I guess hoax believers think it's on the beach somewhere.

Old 05-21-2018, 02:37 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,599,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Absolutely. And of course I'm sure you've heard of Fallen Astronaut as well.

But I guess hoax believers think it's on the beach somewhere.
A replica of it is kept in the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum. The small aluminum memorial sculpture and a plaque were intended to be a secret, but it didn't remain a secret for long. I believe the location on the Moon still remains unknown. At a guess, the plaque has probably faded by now, unless it was engraved.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallen_Astronaut

The "hoax believers" are probably those who think no one has ever gone to space, let alone the Moon, that it's all part of a big conspiracy?

Old 05-21-2018, 06:34 PM

46,816 posts, read 25,732,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I think it is dubious at best to rely on the Soviet Union's response (or lack thereof) to the Apollo missions as evidence in support of the official story.
Merely yet another another data point. The USSR had motive, means and opportunity.

Their space program was a flagship technology demonstrator and drove a lot of internal propaganda - FFS, they had an entire design aesthetic based on Sputnik.

Quote:
They were probably planning something. Their own manned expedition perhaps, but we know they make no claims of that ever happening.
"perhaps"? We know the details, the strengths and weaknesses, the reason why their manned program didn't work out.

The Soviet Union operated rovers on the lunar surface, one of them driving over 26 miles during its lifespan. It was a sophisticated program.

Old 05-21-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Even Bill Clinton doesn't believe men ever landed on the Moon.
Nonsense.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:08 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,551,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Nonsense.
Former President Bill Clinton in his 2004 autobiography, My Life, states: "Just a month before, Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong had left their colleague, Michael Collins, aboard spaceship Columbia and walked on the moon...The old carpenter asked me if I really believed it happened. I said sure, I saw it on television. He disagreed; he said that he didn't believe it for a minute, that 'them television fellers' could make things look real that weren't. Back then, I thought he was a crank. During my eight years in Washington, I saw some things on TV that made me wonder if he wasn't ahead of his time."

I think he told us there without actually telling us, which of course he could not do. But that is just my interpretation. Say what you will about Clinton but a man that cagey doesn't drop a breadcrumb like that on accident.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,551,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

The "hoax believers" are probably those who think no one has ever gone to space, let alone the Moon, that it's all part of a big conspiracy?
I consider the term "staged" to be more accurate.

On the contrary, I believe it is claimed the furthest anyone has been from Earth since the alleged Moon landing missions was somewhere around 350-400 miles out during some of the Space Shuttle missions in the late 90's. This is pefectly believable considering the Van Allen radiation belts are said to start around 1000 miles out.

Old 05-23-2018, 07:28 PM

Quote:
But that is just my interpretation.
No argument there.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:05 PM

2,590 posts, read 2,285,694 times
Quote:
Former President Bill Clinton in his 2004 autobiography, My Life, states: "Just a month before, Apollo 11 astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Neil Armstrong had left their colleague, Michael Collins, aboard spaceship Columbia and walked on the moon...The old carpenter asked me if I really believed it happened. I said sure, I saw it on television. He disagreed; he said that he didn't believe it for a minute, that 'them television fellers' could make things look real that weren't. Back then, I thought he was a crank. During my eight years in Washington, I saw some things on TV that made me wonder if he wasn't ahead of his time."

I think he told us there without actually telling us, which of course he could not do. But that is just my interpretation. Say what you will about Clinton but a man that cagey doesn't drop a breadcrumb like that on accident.
Does Clinton definitively know whether or not we were on the moon? I think there's some things not even the president knows.

Quote:
I consider the term "staged" to be more accurate.

On the contrary, I believe it is claimed the furthest anyone has been from Earth since the alleged Moon landing missions was somewhere around 350-400 miles out during some of the Space Shuttle missions in the late 90's. This is pefectly believable considering the Van Allen radiation belts are said to start around 1000 miles out.
I'm wondering what would happen if the space shuttle went through the radiation belts.

Old 05-24-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I'm wondering what would happen if the space shuttle went through the radiation belts.
It's mostly not a matter of the craft - Apollo wasn't specifically designed for radiation protection. As with all radiation exposure, you find the zone with the lowest intensity (the belts aren't uniform) and you minimize the time you spend there- in this case, by going fast.

Apollo was going like gangbusters, because they had to get to lunar orbit. The Shuttle didn't carry the requisite fuel for that sort of orbital change. Te van Allen belts aren't a place to linger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space