U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 11:49 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,231,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...Communication is not limited to the speed of light, quantum computers have been developed which process instructions far faster.
You can't compare the speed it takes to cover a distance with computational speed; it's apples and oranges. Transmission speed is still limited to the speed of light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2018, 05:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Quote:
You can't compare the speed it takes to cover a distance with computational speed; it's apples and oranges. Transmission speed is still limited to the speed of light.
Now it is my turn to challenge you. How is transmission speed still limited to the speed of light?

in computing everything boils down to ones or zeros. A one or zero can be part of a communication, a character, just as much as it can be part of a calculation within the computer. So.. please explain your statement.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:46 AM

22,774 posts, read 17,250,171 times
Quote:
I dont think anyone on here has the ability to properly evaluate 'evidence' in an objective scientific way, so just asking one person to provide such 'evidence' is not constructive. As I am sure you will agree, links are only as good as the authority behind them, so it depends what kind of evidence available in the 1400's you will accept. My guess is - none.

Communication is not limited to the speed of light, quantum computers have been developed which process instructions far faster.
Actually, from what I understand, communication, the transfer of information is limited to the speed of light. While it's true that particles such as electrons can be entangled so that if you entangled a pair of electrons, one on one side of the galaxy, and the other on the other side of the galaxy, and you affected the spin of one electron you would know that the spin of the other entangled electron was affected simultaneously, there is no way exploit that to send actual information back and forth through that entanglement.

''If quantum entanglement could be exploited to send messages, it would mean big things for superluminal communication. Unfortunately, however, it has been proved that quantum entanglement cannot be used to send messages superluminally, and that nor can it be used to send any kinds of messages at all. This law is known as the ‘no signaling theorem’. Its proof essentially shows that, despite the link between two entangled particles, there is nothing that one person can do to one entangled particle that would be detectable by another person with the other entangled particle.

http://isciencemag.co.uk/features/su...er-than-light/

And a couple more links explaining why faster than light communication is not possible.
https://medium.com/starts-with-a-ban...t-e0d7097c0322

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/abo...n-intermediate

Last edited by Mike555; 01-05-2018 at 10:13 AM..

Old 01-05-2018, 11:12 AM

3,608 posts, read 4,774,368 times
Quote:
Now it is my turn to challenge you. How is transmission speed still limited to the speed of light?

in computing everything boils down to ones or zeros. A one or zero can be part of a communication, a character, just as much as it can be part of a calculation within the computer. So.. please explain your statement.
You can either have faster than light transmission of information or causality, but not both.

Q: How does instantaneous communication violate causality? | Ask a Mathematician / Ask a Physicist

We have no evidence for faster than light communication or causality violations, so we tend to believe that is what happens. Finding causality violations would probably be more revolutionary than finding aliens.

Old 01-06-2018, 12:03 AM

12,446 posts, read 11,231,973 times
Quote:

Your "character" still has to move from point A to point B.

For example, suppose we wanted the Mars rover Curiosity to analyze a soil sample taken from the surface of Mars. The onboard equipment and computational power can perform that task rather quickly. Now, let's send that information back to earth. Oops - that can take anywhere from 4 to 24 minutes, depending on the distance to earth at that time.

Old 01-07-2018, 09:37 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,118,090 times
Here's a link that goes over a lot of the misconceptions people have about space.

Misconceptions - Atomic Rockets

Old 01-07-2018, 09:39 PM

20,920 posts, read 9,820,822 times
Gort....

Klaatu, Barada, Nikto

Old 01-08-2018, 02:09 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
If this website is correct, then THIS is why aliens know we are here.

If it is correct, then it makes much more sense. Having read some of the site, it seems sensible shows that we are so badly influenced by the 'art' and 'make-believe' in the sci-fi programs on TV.

Old 01-08-2018, 03:26 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,118,090 times
Quote:
If this website is correct, then THIS is why aliens know we are here.

If it is correct, then it makes much more sense. Having read some of the site, it seems sensible shows that we are so badly influenced by the 'art' and 'make-believe' in the sci-fi programs on TV.
I don't necessarily blame sci find for portraying things inaccurately, I blame people for being ignorant about science. Star Wars, for example, has never claimed to be accurate so I can't hold that against them.

Old 01-08-2018, 04:34 PM

537 posts, read 238,576 times
I suspect some aliens know we are here while other aliens have never thought of the concept of other beings somewhere in the universe.

Seems when people speak of aliens, they assume only 1 other form of intelligent life somewhere or among us.

As far as light speed; a theory I heard was to inject oxygen into space in the direction you want to travel.

Propulsion as we understand it doesn't work. I seem to have difficulty explaining the idea, but it was something to do with space = vacuum. So for lack of better words.... it sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or