U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2018, 09:10 PM
 
Location: PRC
2,665 posts, read 2,928,756 times
Reputation: 2428

Advertisements

Lets get down to the nitty-gritty bottom line.
What photographic evidence would we need to believe that aliens are here in our Solar System?

What could I or others possibly show which would convince you that aliens are here already?
How can we bring the two 'camps' or sides together? Assuming they can be brought together, that is.

Maybe you say: 'None, there is no photographic evidence which you can supply which will convince me'
If this is the case, then you are not particularly scientifically minded, you do not abide by the scientific principles and it is not a rational mindset to dismiss the idea out-of-hand without examining the evidence in an open and unbiased way.

Maybe you say: "I would need a clear photo of an alien craft in space or on another planet which I could not discount'
If this is the case, then we have to ask what your criteria for belief or discounting are. The world view held by some people will probably not allow them to come to that belief, and if you are one of those such people, then you should recognize it. If you are one of these people then why are you here looking at a forum where these things are discussed?

In the past, space scientists have made assuptions based on photographic evidence but they are called "scientific speculation" because they have special training and an understanding of what is likely, yet their understanding is evolving all the time as new discoveries are uncovered. This means their minds can be changed.

NASA and the other space agencies and universities have the freedom to not reply to questions, to not comment on anomalies, and we also have the choice whether to participate in the discussions or not.

However, we cannot un-read a post. We cannot un-see a picture. We cannot go back to the mindset we were in before we saw the image or read the post. We cannot put any genie doubts back into their safe bottle of un-knowing.

We are not space scientists, we dont have special training in what is likely, and maybe we do not keep up with the latest published planetry research. However, we probably all have some kind of opinion as to what we would accept as photographic evidence, but are we going to put it down in black-and-white and commit ourselves? Hmm.. maybe not.

So...
What photographic evidence would we need to believe that aliens are here in our Solar System?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-18-2018, 05:43 PM
 
416 posts, read 165,012 times
Reputation: 529
I don't think a photo will ever be convincing enough. The general public is so numb to the idea of aliens that they could confess Area 51 was a spacecraft, they did do autopsies, put them on TV and fully admit aliens exist.

My guess is the majority would talk about it for a few days, write it off and be more concerned if their latte was the right temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-18-2018, 07:37 PM
 
Location: San Antonio/Houston
33,154 posts, read 51,068,101 times
Reputation: 82070
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedintime View Post
I don't think a photo will ever be convincing enough. The general public is so numb to the idea of aliens that they could confess Area 51 was a spacecraft, they did do autopsies, put them on TV and fully admit aliens exist.

My guess is the majority would talk about it for a few days, write it off and be more concerned if their latte was the right temperature.
Photography would not convince me, because we all know what Photoshop can do...
Live video ... more likely.

And yes, most people have a memory span of a gold fish. They aren't able to effectively manage the overload of information we're constantly bombarded with. And most people are interested in things that only affects their little world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 02:42 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,665 posts, read 2,928,756 times
Reputation: 2428
Yes, I dont necessarily mean what would gain the public's attention, because i agree - most people want to watch TV and sit back and vegitate.

However, the guys on here who deny aliens are in our solar system would probably have some requirements to even begin to consider it.

I mean, would a picture of a spacecraft taken through an Earth-based telescope be enough?

These days, some people do not trust the space agencies to tell us the truth, so maybe a picture like this might actually hold more weight with them. However, I have to say, the kind of person who does not believe in local space aliens is going to trust the word of the government and space agencies more than a land-based telescope I guess.

It gets complicated I suppose, because an image of a strange spacecraft brings up all kinds of other questions and beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2018, 12:01 PM
 
5,079 posts, read 4,304,081 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
However, the guys on here who deny aliens are in our solar system would probably have some requirements to even begin to consider it.
Speaking as one who doesn't believe that there are aliens here in our solar system, it would take positive and irrefutable proof. A photograph is not going to cut it.

I can show you film of Bigfoot, but we all know that it was faked.

I can show you crop circles, but again - faked.

Show me either a physical alien, able to be subjected to scientific, verifiable, and repeated inspection, and I will believe it.

Show me a technology that is a leap in magnitude, that sprang from nowhere, and can only be attributed to extraterrestrial intelligence, and I will start to believe.

Have my corporation hire an extraterrestrial being to work in my office on a 40 hour week, and I will believe.

Until then, my Occam brand razor remains quite sharp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 01:02 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,665 posts, read 2,928,756 times
Reputation: 2428
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf
Until then, my Occam brand razor remains quite sharp.
But your glasses remain extremely misty and in need of cleaning. Something is stopping you seeing what is in front of your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 09:48 AM
 
5,578 posts, read 1,350,602 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
Speaking as one who doesn't believe that there are aliens here in our solar system, it would take positive and irrefutable proof. A photograph is not going to cut it.

I can show you film of Bigfoot, but we all know that it was faked.

I can show you crop circles, but again - faked.

Show me either a physical alien, able to be subjected to scientific, verifiable, and repeated inspection, and I will believe it.

Show me a technology that is a leap in magnitude, that sprang from nowhere, and can only be attributed to extraterrestrial intelligence, and I will start to believe.

Have my corporation hire an extraterrestrial being to work in my office on a 40 hour week, and I will believe.

Until then, my Occam brand razor remains quite sharp.
How would you explain people in the times before the airplane was invented, seeing craft in the sky similar to modern day UFO reports? The historical descriptions and the way they describe them, its clear they are describing the same types of things people see today and report as UFOs, same shapes, behavior, capabilities, how do account for that?

This was definitely not some secret experimental govt program.

I highly doubt you would believe even if you were shown a scientific inspection, after all, it could have been faked, like the alien autopsy some years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 03:12 PM
 
5,079 posts, read 4,304,081 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
But your glasses remain extremely misty and in need of cleaning. Something is stopping you seeing what is in front of your face.
You have never shown me anything that could be construed as photographic proof of extraterrestrial beings currently existing in the solar system. And you've posted a lot of pictures of rocks for all of us.

Let me ask you - what photographic evidence would make you finally admit that Elvis Presley faked his own death and is still alive and with us today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2018, 03:19 PM
 
5,079 posts, read 4,304,081 times
Reputation: 4330
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
How would you explain people in the times before the airplane was invented, seeing craft in the sky similar to modern day UFO reports? The historical descriptions and the way they describe them, its clear they are describing the same types of things people see today and report as UFOs, same shapes, behavior, capabilities, how do account for that?
How do you account for all of the people who claim that they've seen Elvis Presley? Does that constitute definitive proof that he faked his death and is alive and living among us?

Quote:
I highly doubt you would believe even if you were shown a scientific inspection, after all, it could have been faked, like the alien autopsy some years ago.
I didn't specify that I'd need to be shown a scientific inspection, but that other third party scientists be allowed to review and duplicate the inspection.

That's a cornerstone of scientific investigation, allowing third parties to examine one's findings for any flaws or errors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2018, 10:50 AM
 
5,578 posts, read 1,350,602 times
Reputation: 4159
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
How do you account for all of the people who claim that they've seen Elvis Presley? Does that constitute definitive proof that he faked his death and is alive and living among us?



I didn't specify that I'd need to be shown a scientific inspection, but that other third party scientists be allowed to review and duplicate the inspection.

That's a cornerstone of scientific investigation, allowing third parties to examine one's findings for any flaws or errors.
Is there anything besides individual identifications of Elvis by all those people that would indicate he truly did fake his death though...not from what Ive seen. With the UFo thing, theres plenty to suggest 'something'.

Maybe alot more could be learned if they would release those 'unknown metal alloys' they claimed to recover from UAPs and let other scientists do testing on them? Thats the problem with this, they will not allow this, they go to great lengths to keep it secret, Im sure they employ state of the art security at Bigelow and other facilities where these things are kept...point is, there is a reason why they do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top