U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2018, 04:06 PM

486 posts, read 746,460 times

Advertisements

Well...looks like no private space team is going to win the $30 million prize to be the first team to land a robotic spacecraft on the Moon, travel 500 meters, and transmit back to Earth high-definition video and images, by the deadline of March 31, 2018.

Google Lunar X Prize to end without winner - SpaceNews.com

Per the article above:
On 23 January 2018, the X Prize Foundation announced that "no team would be able to make a launch attempt to reach the Moon by the [31 March 2018] deadline... and the US$30 million Google Lunar XPRIZE will go unclaimed."
Very sad. The competition was announced in 2007. Eleven years later, NO private funded space team has come close to making a launch attempt. Sad.

To think close to 50 years ago, America put MEN on the moon. Now putting a rover on the moon is next to impossible. Yeah, I get America spent billions of dollars for the Apollo Space program, and that is why we put MEN on the moon (multiple times) in a little under 10 years. But really? With humankind's supposed advanced technology and science, 50 years on, we can't even get a private funded space company to land a rover on the moon within eleven years?

I think America, as a country, should place a rover on the moon, just as America placed rovers on Mars. Why not? They can drive up to the Apollo sites and take hi res videos. But I am sure all the naysayers will come out in droves and say "been there done that", "why waste money the moon is a barren rock", etc. etc.

I am 51 years old and I do not remember man walking on the moon (was too young to watch on TV). Sad that I will never see men on the moon or a rover on the moon in my lifetime. How far we have fallen...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 04:21 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
It took more than 8 years for SpaceShipOne to win the original X Prize, and that was a lot easier than this one.

If it got extended a few more years I’m pretty confident with the success of today’s Falcon Heavy launch (amazing watching the boosters both land together!) that SpaceX would win it.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 PM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Naaah

They dont go to the Moon because of the aliens there. :-) They know it would be a waste of money. The aliens on Mars are generally much smaller and unable to fight back. Anyone in the space industry (Bigelow etc) who might have entered the competition knows that. Google probably knew it too. It is all a ruse to keep us thinking and dreaming so that NASA black-hole funding is not cut off to their research and projects.

Old 02-07-2018, 05:50 AM

486 posts, read 746,460 times
I understand things take time, and the private space companies do not have the funding and manpower NASA did in the 1960's...however...the private space companies are NOT reinventing the wheel trying to get a rover on the moon close to 50 years after men walked on the moon.

For example, if a new private automobile company decided to open up shop in 2018. That new automobile company would not need 11 years (or more) to get a functioning automobile ready for sale to the masses. They would NOT need to reinvent the science and technology in order to manufacture automobiles. We have had that science and technology for years and it has been approved upon for years.

Now...if NASA is the only space agency in the world who has the science and technology to get men on the moon and rovers on Mars, and NASA has hidden that technology from the world and other private space companies (stating it is proprietary), then I understand why the private space companies need more time than a decade to get a rover on the moon...because they are basically reinventing the wheel.

If NASA is not holding back on the Apollo and Mars rovers science and technology from the world, then getting a rover on the moon should not be an impossible task even for private space companies. One would think close to 50 years later it would not take the money and manpower to land a lowly rover on the moon, seeing as we have already landed men on the moon multiple times. The technology should already be there and it should be improved upon.

It just seems that after Apollo, we have taken many steps back with regard to manned space travel. We can't even get a rover on the moon, but we had no problem getting two rovers on Mars decades ago.

Maybe with SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket successful launch yesterday, we can finally get back the science and technology that we "lost" close to 50 years ago.

Old 02-07-2018, 07:39 AM

12,188 posts, read 3,216,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
I understand things take time, and the private space companies do not have the funding and manpower NASA did in the 1960's...however...the private space companies are NOT reinventing the wheel trying to get a rover on the moon close to 50 years after men walked on the moon.

For example, if a new private automobile company decided to open up shop in 2018. That new automobile company would not need 11 years (or more) to get a functioning automobile ready for sale to the masses. They would NOT need to reinvent the science and technology in order to manufacture automobiles. We have had that science and technology for years and it has been approved upon for years.

Now...if NASA is the only space agency in the world who has the science and technology to get men on the moon and rovers on Mars, and NASA has hidden that technology from the world and other private space companies (stating it is proprietary), then I understand why the private space companies need more time than a decade to get a rover on the moon...because they are basically reinventing the wheel.

If NASA is not holding back on the Apollo and Mars rovers science and technology from the world, then getting a rover on the moon should not be an impossible task even for private space companies. One would think close to 50 years later it would not take the money and manpower to land a lowly rover on the moon, seeing as we have already landed men on the moon multiple times. The technology should already be there and it should be improved upon.

It just seems that after Apollo, we have taken many steps back with regard to manned space travel. We can't even get a rover on the moon, but we had no problem getting two rovers on Mars decades ago.

Maybe with SpaceX's Falcon Heavy rocket successful launch yesterday, we can finally get back the science and technology that we "lost" close to 50 years ago.
Interestingly, it was 1951 that the Invention Secrecy Act was enacted, this was specifically designed and created to suppress new technology that could potentially be a problem for large industry or Govt.

Seems like the timing was a bit strange on this act, huh? LOL

Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,113,819 times
I think there are many large companies that could have done it, but $30 million doesn't mean anything to them (and they would have spent more than that attempting it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or