U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-12-2018, 11:32 AM
 
1,410 posts, read 1,113,819 times
Reputation: 1636

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Size, cost and perceived immediate need. The same reasons we haven't returned to the moon actually. The political will and interest just hasn't been there. Which is also why we haven't put humans on Mars yet.
Ok, so there is a solution to bone loss should there be a commercially viable reason for long duration missions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-17-2018, 05:24 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Reputation: 2950
There is not "nothing" on the moon. There are earth based telescope pictures of alien craft on the moon, but the same people who believe their government are the same people who would not believe the picures are genuine. As i asked before, what photographic evidence is enough to convince a skeptic ?

Last edited by ocpaul20; 02-17-2018 at 05:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 04:53 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,446 posts, read 11,231,973 times
Reputation: 28225
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...There are earth based telescope pictures of alien craft on the moon...
Oh, boy. Here we go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2018, 06:47 PM
 
7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Reputation: 6675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
Oh, boy. Here we go.
I’d love to see those telescopes, because no telescope today has the ability to resolve small details. Perhaps they are alien telescopes too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 10:42 AM
 
5,115 posts, read 4,719,309 times
Reputation: 4380
Yeah , that claim of 'earth based telescopes' snapping photogs of alien spacecraft parked on the lunar surface shows an ignorance of the limits of Earth based optical telescopes and also doesn't take into account that the aliens park their rocket ships on the other side of the Moon, where the locals Earthicans can't see them and steal them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 01:24 PM
 
1,537 posts, read 1,911,117 times
Reputation: 1639
There's a school of thought that argues that we shouldn't even be conducting manned exploration of space because the vast majority of what we learned about space science was/is conducted by robots, i.e. space probes and rovers. This further argues that manned space exploration is simply adventurism. NASA doesn't help dissuade this thinking any when they engage in publicity stunts like putting teachers and putting old people into space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: 912 feet above sea level
2,270 posts, read 934,645 times
Reputation: 12519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There is not "nothing" on the moon. There are earth based telescope pictures of alien craft on the moon, but the same people who believe their government are the same people who would not believe the picures are genuine. As i asked before, what photographic evidence is enough to convince a skeptic ?
Others have commented on the absurdity of your claim, but I thought I'd elaborate.

To begin, let's talk about space-based telescopes. The Hubble has a resolution of the lunar surface of approximately 200 meters. Which is to say, a football stadium on the moon as viewed by Hubble would look like... a dot. A single pixel. In other words, it would show up but with no more detail than a mere point.

And while the Hubble is not the largest telescope we have, the fact that it is above the distortion of the Earth's atmosphere gives is a resolution exceeding those on the surface by about a factor of ten. So what you're postulating is that there are alien spacecraft on the moon that are so massive that they dwarf a football stadium - they would have to be this large in order to be identifiable as such in, as you claim, 'earth based telescope pictures'.

In reality, a spacecraft that large would not land. It would remain in orbit and smaller craft would be used to descend to the surface of bodies. So, aside from being the sort of baseless nonsense hawked on crappy websites and published in vanity press books sold alongside other crank topics such as werewolves and healing crystals, it doesn't even make conceptual sense.

And this pretty much sums up the lunacy (pun fully intended!) of your assertion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2018, 06:02 PM
 
Location: San Diego
1,355 posts, read 484,080 times
Reputation: 2753
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailCT View Post
Was Apollo 17 the last mission?
Because Ralph already sent Alice their.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 05:58 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Reputation: 2950
In the UK, there is/was a TV program called The Sky at Night and the presenter of it was Sir Patrick Moore. He was well-known in astronomical circles. He has died so no longer does the program and I am not sure whether it is still running on TV.

Wikipedia
Quote:
Moore was President of the British Astronomical Association, co-founder and president of the Society for Popular Astronomy, author of over seventy books on astronomy, and presenter of the world's longest-running television series with the same original presenter, BBC's The Sky at Night. He became known as a specialist in Moon observation and for creating the Caldwell catalogue. Idiosyncrasies such as his rapid diction and monocle made him a popular and instantly recognisable figure on British television.
OK, so we have now established his credentials which are impeccable, and his undoubtedly greater knowledge of what should and should not be on the surface of the Moon than anyone on here.

Here is his website which you can go to to find out the telescopic equipment he used.

Lets just start with a Stonehenge-like circle structure shall we?
This is a cut section from his gallery image c078


and to give the context, here is a larger area of that image.


Now, try for once to avoid criticizing the man who started many kids off on their astronomy interest and is a legend in his field.

Maybe you can tell me what you think this image is showing, because I see an obvious Stonehenge-like structure. It is not a craft, I grant you, but there are other craft-like anomalies in his images if you care to look for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2018, 06:28 AM
 
5,115 posts, read 4,719,309 times
Reputation: 4380
A "Stonehenge-like circular structure" in the photos above? Nope!

But does anyone else see a certain part of male anatomy on the left side of the picture? And if one did, would that prove that not only are there extraterrestrials on the Moon, but that they're also on the scale of tens or hundreds of kilometers tall?

Simply put, you didn't quote Sir Patrick Moore having supported your contention, but simply took one of his photographs and offered your own opinion of what it represented.

That's not proof.

Let me flip your basic argument on its head for you: I'm Lord Voldemorte, evil wizard and mortal enemy of Harry Potter. What photographic evidence would you accept as proof of my claim?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:11 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top