U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 09:10 AM

6,994 posts, read 6,743,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Why did we stop going to the Moon?

Because, unlike "orbital" space, there is nothing on the Moon or Mars sufficient to justify large-scale commercial investment and development; even if Mars were composed entirely of solid gold or platinum, there would be no economically-justifiable way to extract it and bring it back.
This I believe is true. There are valuable natural resources on both, that is true enough. The recovery costs at current technology levels don’t justify the means though by a long shot. It is too expensive to launch space vehicles from the ground and then you don’t have enough fuel to get to the moon (let alone Mars) anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 11:50 AM

33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
This I believe is true. There are valuable natural resources on both, that is true enough. The recovery costs at current technology levels don’t justify the means though by a long shot. It is too expensive to launch space vehicles from the ground and then you don’t have enough fuel to get to the moon (let alone Mars) anyway.
Yup. If we knew of a spot on the moon where gold bars were lined up - mined, refined, ready to pick up - the cost of retrieval still wouldn't make the trip worthwhile.

Old 05-14-2018, 01:08 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Quote:
If we knew of a spot on the moon where gold bars were lined up - mined, refined, ready to pick up - the cost of retrieval still wouldn't make the trip worthwhile.
...And if we were rational human beings, I am sure you are correct.

However, governments all across the world spend money on projects which do not make sense financially - in spite of there being some committee or oversight group trying to make sure they spend wisely.

Technology or knowledge is far more important than gold bars. It can be used in the future to advance your country and give you the edge in warfare.

Old 05-17-2018, 10:07 PM

7,260 posts, read 4,851,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Those are the mouse ships. They are already mining cheese from the moon. The mice have secretly surpassed us in technology and just like you see a fleeting glimpse of a mouse dashing through your house every now and then, once in a while someone gets a glimpse of the mouse space shuttles moving at incredible speeds.
Are you positive? Because I'm not so sure... it sounds sensible to me, but wouldn't mouse ships be too small to see?

Old 05-18-2018, 12:52 PM

27,161 posts, read 64,390,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Are you positive? Because I'm not so sure... it sounds sensible to me, but wouldn't mouse ships be too small to see?

No because the friction causes them to glow brightly at they return ot he atmosphere with a load of cheese. . Or maybe it is their photon drive unit. Perhaps they just left the lights on in their ship. That happens all the time. I find lights on, holler about it and am told "It must have been a mouse, wan't me" They are really bad about leaving lights on.

Whatever the reasons those super fast moving objects people see in the night sky are always glowing brightly.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...And if we were rational human beings, I am sure you are correct.

However, governments all across the world spend money on projects which do not make sense financially - in spite of there being some committee or oversight group trying to make sure they spend wisely.

Technology or knowledge is far more important than gold bars. It can be used in the future to advance your country and give you the edge in warfare.
Not disagreeing there. But for those who see the Moon as a commercial base, that's the cost factor we're up against.

I like a cup of coffee. If we go with ballpark figures, a Falcon Heavy in non-recoverable configuration costs about 150 million and can launch 20 metric tons to trans-lunar injection orbit. Assuming, very generously, that we can make a low-cost soft lunar landing vehicle expending only 50% of the mass on vehicle and fuel, that's $15,000 per kilogram on the lunar surface. There are 2.2 pounds to the kilogram and a pound of coffee makes about 48 cups.

Lifting the beans alone - not counting the water and the energy spent in boiling the water or the entire apparatus needed to brew the coffee - adds about $142 to the price of a cup of coffee on the Moon's surface.

Old 05-20-2018, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA
I like a cup of coffee. If we go with ballpark figures, a Falcon Heavy in non-recoverable configuration costs about 150 million and can launch 20 metric tons to trans-lunar injection orbit. Assuming, very generously, that we can make a low-cost soft lunar landing vehicle expending only 50% of the mass on vehicle and fuel, that's $15,000 per kilogram on the lunar surface. There are 2.2 pounds to the kilogram and a pound of coffee makes about 48 cups.

Lifting the beans alone - not counting the water and the energy spent in boiling the water or the entire apparatus needed to brew the coffee - adds about $142 to the price of a cup of coffee on the Moon's surface.
During your cup of coffee I ask you to consider what I said in Post #67. In spite of some people (Coldjensens) , attempting to mock what I said, it IS a valid point and it seems we (and other countries) MUST have this advanced technology already. It has been seen over Russia, over Europe, over China and over the USA.

Why do you continue to think in terms of rockets and jets?

Old 05-21-2018, 12:09 AM

11,171 posts, read 5,051,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert20170 View Post
It's dangerous (people died trying to get there) and expensive. What good reason would we have for going back? The biggest reason we went to begin with was to beat the Soviets. Mission accomplished.
There was a lot of technology that came from Space Exploration.

NASA's Spin Off website contains all the innovations that we use today that came from Space Exploration starting in the 60's.

Welcome to NASA Spinoff

Have you ever wondered how space exploration impacts your daily life?

NASA Technology Award Winners

Just imagine what discoveries and innovations would come about from a trip to Mars?

Old 05-21-2018, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
During your cup of coffee I ask you to consider what I said in Post #67. In spite of some people (Coldjensens) , attempting to mock what I said, it IS a valid point and it seems we (and other countries) MUST have this advanced technology already. It has been seen over Russia, over Europe, over China and over the USA.

Why do you continue to think in terms of rockets and jets?
To be blunt, I don't believe the advanced technology that you postulate exists. Sorry.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:08 AM

Quote:
To be blunt, I don't believe the advanced technology that you postulate exists. Sorry.
No problem. I do not mean to be disrespectful in what I have said below.

However, enough people have reported it to make it more than likely that this technology exists.

Of course, you do not have to believe the newspapers which report it or the people who have witnessed it, but I wonder what kind of evidence you might need to believe anything. I completely agree that newspapers are not a good place to start when looking for 'evidence' of new technology, but when the military may be using it, it does not get reported in the same way as other science.

Scientists often disagree with each other and we often have 2 or more versions of how something came about, so how do you decide which one to believe and which one not to believe?

So finally, rather than reposting these links again here, here is a thread which gives some more details on this technology, newspaper articles about them, witnesses who have seen them, reported them to MUFON, and there is even a space.com website article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or