U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2018, 03:53 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times

Advertisements

How would people react? Would people panic? Would the news disrupt the world? A recent study showed that, although it would be an important discovery, it wouldn't have a terrifying effect on people. Life will go on as usual. The exception would be if a fleet of alien spacecrafts were approaching the planet to attack the world, that might be alarming. In general, there are more positive emotions than negative ones.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ect-ncna849046
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2018, 05:57 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Your title appears to mean in the future, but I think your title should be "Now that we have (already) discovered ET"

I am sure there are some military personnel who have had a sudden trip to the funny-farm when they first saw an alien as part of their job, or at least suffered serious shock. So too would civillians when they first saw one. However, most people have been conditioned to see aliens as all different body kinds from the Sci-Fi movies and TV shows.

It is one thing to see an alien on TV but probably quite another thing to see one in real life. Ask anyone who has been abducted and they will tell you there are quite a few different types of aliens. I think the ones looking like praying mantis are probably the scariest looking, partly because they look like something we already know but a lot, lot bigger (12-15 feet tall).

I think you have to realise that aliens may not look anything like us. There are no boundaries where looks and physical characteristics are concerned due to the atmosphere and conditions present where they come from. That means they could be very small like the ones on Mars or enormous also. It means they could have non-carbon-based physiology, and could have multiple arms, flippers, or other appendages. Or.. they could have evolved to not use a physical body any longer too (like in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles).

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that we have no idea what their agenda is. WHY they came here and what they want for themselves and their race. Anyone who says they are all Sweetness and Light or says they are monsters are just putting a human emotional framework onto alien beings. The truth is, we have no idea because they would not tell us if they had malicious intentions, and they would tell us they had our best interests at heart. Man being what man is... we will probably want to blast them out of the sky and with their superior technology, they probably would win.

In actual fact, that might be why they have not come out in the open because either way, they cannot win.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:21 AM

22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Your title appears to mean in the future, but I think your title should be "Now that we have (already) discovered ET"

I am sure there are some military personnel who have had a sudden trip to the funny-farm when they first saw an alien as part of their job, or at least suffered serious shock. So too would civillians when they first saw one. However, most people have been conditioned to see aliens as all different body kinds from the Sci-Fi movies and TV shows.

It is one thing to see an alien on TV but probably quite another thing to see one in real life. Ask anyone who has been abducted and they will tell you there are quite a few different types of aliens. I think the ones looking like praying mantis are probably the scariest looking, partly because they look like something we already know but a lot, lot bigger (12-15 feet tall).

I think you have to realise that aliens may not look anything like us. There are no boundaries where looks and physical characteristics are concerned due to the atmosphere and conditions present where they come from. That means they could be very small like the ones on Mars or enormous also. It means they could have non-carbon-based physiology, and could have multiple arms, flippers, or other appendages. Or.. they could have evolved to not use a physical body any longer too (like in Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles).

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that we have no idea what their agenda is. WHY they came here and what they want for themselves and their race. Anyone who says they are all Sweetness and Light or says they are monsters are just putting a human emotional framework onto alien beings. The truth is, we have no idea because they would not tell us if they had malicious intentions, and they would tell us they had our best interests at heart. Man being what man is... we will probably want to blast them out of the sky and with their superior technology, they probably would win.

In actual fact, that might be why they have not come out in the open because either way, they cannot win.
Are you seriously claiming that there are Martians and that you know this for a fact?

Old 02-18-2018, 09:08 AM

22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
How would people react? Would people panic? Would the news disrupt the world? A recent study showed that, although it would be an important discovery, it wouldn't have a terrifying effect on people. Life will go on as usual. The exception would be if a fleet of alien spacecrafts were approaching the planet to attack the world, that might be alarming. In general, there are more positive emotions than negative ones.

https://www.nbcnews.com/mach/science...ect-ncna849046
I can only speak for myself, but if we discovered ET, that would simply be a confirmation of the probability that life almost certainly exists elsewhere in the Universe. It would be exciting.

Taking a minority view, theoretical physicist Max Tegmark, based on mathematical probabilities says in his book Our Mathematical Universe that he thinks that we are alone in the Universe, at least with regard to intelligent life, but admits that he could be wrong, but believes there is life in other Universes.

Quoting Tegmark;
''If my interpretation is correct, then the closest civilization is about 1,000, . . . 000 meters away, where the total number of zeros is roughly equally likely to be 21, 22, 23, . . . 100, 101, 102, etc,---but not much smaller than 21. However, for this civilization to be in our own Universe, whose radius is about 10 26 meters, [That 26 should be a superscript, but I can't format it that way] the number of zeros can't exceed 26, and the probability of the number of zeros falling in the narrow range between 22 and 26 is quite small. This is why I think we are alone in our Universe.

Our Mathematical Universe, pp. 396-397
But that 10 to the 26th would be our observable Universe. We have no way of knowing how much our Universe expands beyond what we can observe.
The comoving distance from Earth to the edge of the observable universe is about 14.26 gigaparsecs (46.5 billion light years or 4.40×1026 meters) in any direction. The observable universe is thus a sphere with a diameter of about 28.5 gigaparsecs[30] (93 Gly or 8.8×1026 m).[31] Assuming that space is roughly flat, this size corresponds to a comoving volume of about 1.22×104 Gpc3 (4.22×105 Gly3 or 3.57×1080 m3).[32]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe
Personally, I think the Universe is plenty big enough to contain other intelligent life forms.

Last edited by Mike555; 02-18-2018 at 09:55 AM..

Old 02-18-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Are you seriously claiming that there are Martians and that you know this for a fact?
Facts require proof, but I cannot get any details as to what would be 'proof' as far as photographic evidence is required. Other, non-photographic data from space probes is not likely to supply any 'proof' to us of alien existence. There are too many Tricky Dickies on here who wont commit themselves to answering this one.

Everyone seems to be in denial. Unless of course they think these large triangular/cigar shaped craft in the skies are military craft. Either way, there is more than enough circumstancial and witness evidence for aliens being here. So just keep on being in denial, thats fine.

Old 02-18-2018, 11:34 PM

12,446 posts, read 11,243,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...there is more than enough circumstancial and witness evidence for aliens being here...
You mean evidence like...

"Me and Roscoe wuz standin' by the shed and we looked up and seen a light. Next thang we knowed it was five hours later and we wuz standin' by a road. We're pretty sure aliens took us and probed us."

I've NEVER seen or heard reliable eyewitness accounts or evidence. It's just the "Fifteen minutes of fame" syndrome.

Last edited by Dirt Grinder; 02-18-2018 at 11:46 PM..

Old 02-19-2018, 11:59 AM

12,333 posts, read 3,249,816 times
Didnt the Brookings report conclude that the general public was not ready to hear about this?

Old 02-19-2018, 02:40 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Didnt the Brookings report conclude that the general public was not ready to hear about this?
No, it doesn't say anything to conclude that the general public was not ready to hear about it. The Brookings report does mention that more studies are needed to determine how such information might be shared, or withheld, from the public. In the 2nd link, scroll down to the section entitled, "The implications of a discovery of extraterrestrial life".
https://www.brookings.edu/blog/brook...ogram-in-1960/
https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content...rrestrials.pdf

Old 02-20-2018, 06:26 AM

Quote:
I've NEVER seen or heard reliable eyewitness accounts or evidence.
Well, I hope you are not arrested or convicted for anything because you may have to rely on it someday. Our courts accept it (I am not sure how they would work without it) but somehow it is just not good enough for you. Strange.

I think for the legal system it is the best of a bad job because they have to accept that some people tell the truth as much as they know that some people dont.

I am not saying ALL eye witnesses are telling the truth or are correctly identifying something, but you have to accept that there are some experts who have been trained in observation, such as law enforcement, military spotters, etc. Some other people are just born good observers too. Of course, even these trained people can get it wrong but they are more likely to get it correct than other people perhaps.

Old 02-20-2018, 07:02 AM

409 posts, read 196,653 times
E.T. is hiding in my closet right now trying to dial some kind of homemade device and saying, " E.T. phone home.....over and over". Save me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or