U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 11:43 AM

307 posts, read 259,556 times

Advertisements

Since the transport tech is almost ready what do you guys think the incentive should be to get the first settlers to Mars? Should they be promised free land on Mars (like the homesteaders who settled the west in the US), or do you think it's best to give them money from earth.

Just a stray thought that crossed my mind. It should make for really good bar talk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 01:13 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Before you give out land you need to determine ownership of Mars.

Old 04-04-2018, 03:39 PM

My thoughts exactly. Creating incentives for people to go there will be tricky if you're not plain just paying them.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:21 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,562,583 times
I may be in the minority here but I don’t think you need incentives at all. The kind of person who is willing to actually leave Earth and everything they’ve ever known behind for good to go colonize Mars probably isn’t the kind of person who is in it for money or land. They will probably be willing to do it because they believe in the cause.

What would they buy with money over there? You could offer them a billion dollars but it’s not like there are any stores to use it at so money is essentially worthless.

The entire planet is free land so that’s essentially worthless too (the first colonists will be living out of habitats anyway).

I think it will be up to the first pioneers to decide what kind of civilization they want to have but the first colonists will have such a challenge just surviving that I doubt money or land will be on their mind. It will be all about working together and sharing resources in the name of survival.

The only incentive I can think of would be something like if they agree to go, the government, SpaceX, whoever would see to it that their families back on Earth are taken care of very well for life.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:55 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
The military would have to be the first ones to go since we have to eliminate all the existing natives who already live there. Much like has been done before.

Although, maybe the bacteria and other germs we take with us would decimate them and we would only have to wait a while and watch.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I may be in the minority here but I don’t think you need incentives at all. The kind of person who is willing to actually leave Earth and everything they’ve ever known behind for good to go colonize Mars probably isn’t the kind of person who is in it for money or land. They will probably be willing to do it because they believe in the cause.

What would they buy with money over there? You could offer them a billion dollars but it’s not like there are any stores to use it at so money is essentially worthless.

The entire planet is free land so that’s essentially worthless too (the first colonists will be living out of habitats anyway).

I think it will be up to the first pioneers to decide what kind of civilization they want to have but the first colonists will have such a challenge just surviving that I doubt money or land will be on their mind. It will be all about working together and sharing resources in the name of survival.

The only incentive I can think of would be something like if they agree to go, the government, SpaceX, whoever would see to it that their families back on Earth are taken care of very well for life.
Well that's a big incentive believe it or not. There are people that will sign up as long as their families are taken care of.

I'm curious why you mentioned SpaceX. They're actually not responsible for getting the "people" that will go to Mars. They're just building the transportation system. Other organizations are to be responsible for getting the candidates for Mars colonies together.

Old 04-05-2018, 05:59 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,562,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post
Well that's a big incentive believe it or not. There are people that will sign up as long as their families are taken care of.

I'm curious why you mentioned SpaceX. They're actually not responsible for getting the "people" that will go to Mars. They're just building the transportation system. Other organizations are to be responsible for getting the candidates for Mars colonies together.
I mentioned SpaceX just as an example. It’s all hypothetical.

I.E. An engineer who is very familiar with SpaceX’s mechanical designs of their rockets would likely be an ideal candidate to be one of the first to go. He or she could also very well be employed by SpaceX themselves so maybe their salary and benefits coverage would go to their family instead.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:40 PM

632 posts, read 490,102 times
The incentive would be the founding of a new planetary civilization.

However, actual permamemt colonization will require certain physical and biological questions to be answered positively. Namely: Is Martian terraformimg actually physically possible. Can earthlike surface pressure and atmosphere be created. Can a magnetic field or substitute be generated. Will human babies born and raised from infancy in gravity 38% of earths develop in a normal manner.

Pressurized, sealed bases are fine for scientific outposts and trained astronauts, but aren't good for a large planetary population that would need to be self sustaining and not dependent on earth.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
The incentive would be the founding of a new planetary civilization.

However, actual permamemt colonization will require certain physical and biological questions to be answered positively. Namely: Is Martian terraformimg actually physically possible. Can earthlike surface pressure and atmosphere be created. Can a magnetic field or substitute be generated. Will human babies born and raised from infancy in gravity 38% of earths develop in a normal manner.

Pressurized, sealed bases are fine for scientific outposts and trained astronauts, but aren't good for a large planetary population that would need to be self sustaining and not dependent on earth.
The hope is that when that time comes certain space exploration milestones such as mining asteroids would have matured enough for us to significantly increase our abundance of energy to take on projects such as building self sustaining planetary colonies. Remember, mars is just one of the destinations the current trajectories for the present day space race seem to be pointing to. We have to keep our fingers crossed that all this works out.

Another long-term milestone which is probably 10 years out is the use of anti-matter engines which shorten travel to mars to a mere two weeks (just a pay period here on earth). As I said, if a lot of these trajectories reach their milestones with no issues then the leap you'll see in space exploration technology would be kind of like when we went from flip phones to smart phones.

If the space industry has gotten to the point of making routine mining trips to the asteroid belt quickly and safely, the resources from the seemingly infinite minerals there can build advanced power generation infrastructure on mars, build other space outposts. Heck, we might even build colonies on Titan with the right materials. Absent the alien makeup of the liquid in Titan the topography looks pretty earth-like.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:59 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighSpeed View Post

Another long-term milestone which is probably 10 years out is the use of anti-matter engines which shorten travel to mars to a mere two weeks (just a pay period here on earth). As I said, if a lot of these trajectories reach their milestones with no issues then the leap you'll see in space exploration technology would be kind of like when we went from flip phones to smart phones
I’d say more like 30+ years barring a program the size of Apollo. All theoretical at this point, which means a lot more lab testing and then mockups. Antimatter is also extremely expensive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or