U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2018, 02:46 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times

Advertisements

I really think that rocket technology, however it is powered, is not what we need.

Currently we are thinking in terms of shooting something out of the rear of the vehicle and propelling it in the other direction, but I think we need to consider other means of propulsion.

Unfortunately, while military solutions to this problem are still classified, the result is, we are stuck with the need to build larger and larger rockets, planes, etc to lift heavier loads. So, although I think that any money spent on space travel is still useful to the economy, what we really need in order to get to the stars, is for the military solutions already developed to be released out to the public for our use.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2018, 11:44 AM

12,188 posts, read 3,216,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Or they could skip a step and just develop warp drive.
How do you know they havent created this yet?

Keep in mind, there is a WHOLE LOT when it comes to aircraft technology, that the public is not aware of. this is one reason i think its almost pointless to even discuss this kind of technology, as there are large parts of the puzzle that are withheld from us, so its nearly impossible to even speculate about.

Old 05-01-2018, 11:49 AM
Status: "The collective consience doesn't like detail" (J L Burke)" (set 29 days ago)

12,668 posts, read 7,774,618 times
I think our collection of overgrown children need to learn a thing or two about hard science; it's called that for a reason.

Old 05-01-2018, 04:54 PM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay. Where does NASA get their funding from? Since a lot of people seem excited to go to Mars, could NASA get funding from them, saying that if they fund the project, that their trips to Mars will be reduced in time by a large amount?

NASA gets 0.5% of the budget. I'm sure there are fractions of a % that can be pulled from here and there.

Old 05-02-2018, 04:05 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
I think NASA is essentially the official Public Relations part of the US space industry and it releases the information we are supposed to know about and believe. Much of the actual space engineering and construction appears to be done by other companies which do not have to answer to FOIA requests and which probably get their funding through a different channel. In considering this, we have to remember there was a large black budget anomaly reported in the finances a few years ago and I doubt if that particular Black Hole has disappeared in the time since then.

Also I think there are many aspects of new space technology which are developed by the military and this technology is completely separate from what the public are told by NASA. This means that even though NASA's budget may be relatively small, space technology can still be developed and produced.

Old 05-02-2018, 10:58 AM

12,188 posts, read 3,216,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I think NASA is essentially the official Public Relations part of the US space industry and it releases the information we are supposed to know about and believe. Much of the actual space engineering and construction appears to be done by other companies which do not have to answer to FOIA requests and which probably get their funding through a different channel. In considering this, we have to remember there was a large black budget anomaly reported in the finances a few years ago and I doubt if that particular Black Hole has disappeared in the time since then.

Also I think there are many aspects of new space technology which are developed by the military and this technology is completely separate from what the public are told by NASA. This means that even though NASA's budget may be relatively small, space technology can still be developed and produced.
Yep, none of us know how much money the Black budget gets, but we do know there is a 'black budget' every single year.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:06 PM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
So I was wondering why doesn't NASA just invent a nuclear powered shuttle?
How in the name of Mars did the word "just" pop into that sentence?

Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
That's one reason to build that kind of ship in space - not in near-Earth orbit, & never let it land on Earth.
We'd still have to get the fuel there. Sure, it's LEU, but it's still not something you want dispersed...

Old 05-08-2018, 03:49 PM

3,988 posts, read 1,751,109 times
Default Schrödinger's cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
We'd still have to get the fuel there. Sure, it's LEU, but it's still not something you want dispersed...
Nuclear fuel, near Earth? Well, you build the ship out well away from Earth - preferably in lunar orbit, just to make sure. & you mine & purify the uranium or plutonium or exotic hydrogen or whatever you're using for fuel - either on the moon, or in orbit in the asteroid belt.

The point is to minimize environmental impact to Earth - even if you have to launch the main ship with skeleton crew & only partially finished - enough to run the main engines & get it away from the Earth/moon system. Or you could even strap on non-nuclear boosters just to get it away from the moon, & light off the main engines when the ship is well away from civilization.

There are lots of ways to skin that particular cat.

Old 05-08-2018, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southwest88 View Post
Nuclear fuel, near Earth? Well, you build the ship out well away from Earth - preferably in lunar orbit, just to make sure. & you mine & purify the uranium or plutonium or exotic hydrogen or whatever you're using for fuel - either on the moon, or in orbit in the asteroid belt.
Frankly, if we have lifting capacity to put a practical mining operation on the Moon or in the asteroid belt, we also have a resolution to the problem we set out to solve.

Problem with mining and purifying rare elements like uranium (you can't mine plutonium) is that they're just that - rare. On Earth, with our active geology, ores with higher concentrations will form. In the asteroid belt? Much less likely, unless our understanding of asteroid geology (asterology?) is deeply flawed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or