Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 03:52 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,874,954 times

Advertisements

I hope no-one minds but I dont think we have had a thread specifically dedicated to this topic - certainly not recently.

The subject came up in a recent thread on another topic and so I thought we should probably discuss the Cydonia region once again. Partly because there are still folks who believe there is evidence of a cover-up and others who (say they) think the space agencies are being honest with us. There are also even more recent ESA images of this region from 2006 and 2015 (dont get your hopes up about these though, they are really useless).

The science is, as always, in the images returned by the government-owned spacecraft and what we or the scientists studying these things are allowed to see.

This image has been posted on the other thread, so I posted it here to remind us what was previously shown.

In spite of some of this image above being large, there are still indications that it has been compressed as there are compression artifacts all over it.
So, until we get a decent image from NASA or ESA we cannot really be sure can we? Of course, there are going to be two camps who argue that we can see obvious signs of civilisation and the other side will argue they cannot.

However, if everything is fine and there is NO EVIDENCE of civilisation, then why not give us a decent image to the best resolution they can? That way, everyone can see and there will not be any doubt, but while these images are not forthcoming, then everyone argues and shouts "cover-up". Actually, who can blame them because there is no valid reason not to allow the public or scientists access to the best possible quality?

ESA Mars Express gallery - search term Cydonia

In my initial look at these, there are some tif images which are quite large at 45-50Mb each, however these do not really show much detail and still show pixellated images which is disappointing. The 'perspective' images have been changed the same way you can zoom over the land in Google Earth. This is only good for folks pretending to fly over the landscape and does not show anything other than a general outline.

All this kind-of totally misses the point really since there are many many people who still believe there is something fishy going on. So, it only serves to make these people more angry and more determined to find out the truth. For me, I am sad that the scientists studying these things and writing papers have to play the same game as the people who pay their wages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:04 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
I don't even understand why there is controversy over this... nothing in anything I see there would indicate life.

Old 07-06-2018, 12:02 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
It’s a JPG, of course it’s compressed. Here is a still-compressed but larger version.

Quote:
All this kind-of totally misses the point really since there are many many people who still believe there is something fishy going on. So, it only serves to make these people more angry and more determined to find out the truth.
Look up the definition of Occam’s Razor.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:10 PM

OK...looks like a hill. Doesn't look man... er... alien made to me.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:00 PM

Although I do not think it is an alien structure in this case, I do recognize that civilisations which have been dead for thousands/millions of years may have built structures and those structures would crumble and decay over time.

What would it look like now if it had been a structure thousands/millions of years ago? We dont know what it looked like then, do we? That is - if there were a civilisation on Mars (which I believe there is/was)

I dont think anyone (scientist or otherwise) can say this is NOT an alien structure until we get there and analyse the material it is made of.

Old 07-11-2018, 09:03 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
So the fictional alien race that "built" this land formulation didn't breathe? There's very little atmosphere on Mars, and no indication that it has ever had such.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
So the fictional alien race that "built" this land formulation didn't breathe? There's very little atmosphere on Mars, and no indication that it has ever had such.
Actually, if you had read anything about Mars, you would realise that there was supposed to have been an atmosphere a long time ago and there is a very thin atmosphere now.

Biology adapts to different environments so maybe there are creatures in this universe which can live in thin atmospheres where their body can assimilate the things they need for survival. Not all bioligy breathes oxygen or is made from carbon building blocks for example.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:48 AM

Help me understand what makes someone think this is man made?

Old 07-12-2018, 12:35 PM

2,480 posts, read 1,551,658 times
I see what appears to be a fairly clear head/face-like feature. Almost 100% certain to be a natural formation but who knows? Interesting to wonder.

Old 07-12-2018, 01:09 PM

11,103 posts, read 7,159,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
there was supposed to have been an atmosphere a long time ago
Says who? Where? No links, no supporting documentation = no proof / only hearsay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space