U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2018, 06:52 PM

22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times

Advertisements

An image of the newborn planet PDS 70b (bright spot right of center) forming in a gap in the protoplanetary disk
around its star, which is blacked out by the camera’s coronagraph mask. ESO/A. MÜLLER ET AL.

''In the first convincing observation of its kind, astronomers have directly imaged a newborn planet still forming around its star. The planet, hotter than any in our solar system, supports what astronomers have long believed: that such bodies are born of the disks of gas and dust that coalesce around young stars.''

In a first, astronomers witness the birth of a planet from gas and dust | Science | AAAS

Of course, there have been prior observations of proto-planetary discs which show what appears to be planet formation taking place, as seen in this video of the proto-planetary disc around the star HL Tauri which is about 450 light years from earth. The image was taken by the ALMA telescope array in Chile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqt7s0J10f8

But apparently, the image of the planet around star PDS 70 is the first really convincing observation of planet formation.

Here's another article about the new observation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0702094040.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2018, 08:35 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
That's the face of an alien. Oh, they can't hide this one now.

Old 07-06-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Oh please. Don't encourage the conspiracy theorists. This is real science. To actually have convincing evidence through observation of how planets are formed is exciting.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:40 PM

2,715 posts, read 3,004,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
An image of the newborn planet PDS 70b (bright spot right of center) forming in a gap in the protoplanetary disk
around its star, which is blacked out by the camera’s coronagraph mask. ESO/A. MÜLLER ET AL.

''In the first convincing observation of its kind, astronomers have directly imaged a newborn planet still forming around its star. The planet, hotter than any in our solar system, supports what astronomers have long believed: that such bodies are born of the disks of gas and dust that coalesce around young stars.''

In a first, astronomers witness the birth of a planet from gas and dust | Science | AAAS

Of course, there have been prior observations of proto-planetary discs which show what appears to be planet formation taking place, as seen in this video of the proto-planetary disc around the star HL Tauri which is about 450 light years from earth. The image was taken by the ALMA telescope array in Chile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqt7s0J10f8

But apparently, the image of the planet around star PDS 70 is the first really convincing observation of planet formation.

Here's another article about the new observation.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0702094040.htm

It is forming "around" the star? I am getting a picture in my mind that I don't think I am supposed to be getting. I am imagining the planet actually surrounding the star. Surely not. I did see the lighter ring surrounding the star but detached from the star. Is that the orbit of the planet that is forming? Then I would not have seen the actual planet itself?

Words of wisdom, please. And thank you for that. hazelm

Old 07-19-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
It is forming "around" the star? I am getting a picture in my mind that I don't think I am supposed to be getting. I am imagining the planet actually surrounding the star. Surely not. I did see the lighter ring surrounding the star but detached from the star. Is that the orbit of the planet that is forming? Then I would not have seen the actual planet itself?

Words of wisdom, please. And thank you for that. hazelm
Hi Hazel. It's the proto-planetary disc, which is a cloud of dust and gas from which the star itself formed, which surrounds the star. Not the planet that's being formed within the disc. The planet formation takes place through a process of accretion as more and more matter clumps together as it orbits the star in one of those rings that you see. So, yes, the lighter ring surrounding the star is the orbit of the planet that is forming.

In the picture below, the planet is that bright spot just to the right of the star which is in the center and has been blacked out by the camera's mask.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:01 PM

2,715 posts, read 3,004,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Hi Hazel. It's the proto-planetary disc, which is a cloud of dust and gas from which the star itself formed, which surrounds the star. Not the planet that's being formed within the disc. The planet formation takes place through a process of accretion as more and more matter clumps together as it orbits the star in one of those rings that you see. So, yes, the lighter ring surrounding the star is the orbit of the planet that is forming.

In the picture below, the planet is that bright spot just to the right of the star which is in the center and has been blacked out by the camera's mask.

Thank you, Mike. That was just beginning to "accrete" in my little brain. The whole ring is the mix (cloud and dust) that will form the planet. I knew I was seeing wrong but couldn't figure why.

Some of us are just slow thinkers.

Old 07-19-2018, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Thank you, Mike. That was just beginning to "accrete" in my little brain. The whole ring is the mix (cloud and dust) that will form the planet. I knew I was seeing wrong but couldn't figure why.

Some of us are just slow thinkers.
You're welcome. It's good to be curious and to ask questions.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:14 AM

2,960 posts, read 1,127,390 times
This is truly spectacular. I wonder whether its going to be a gas giant or a terrestrial planet.

Old 07-26-2018, 04:40 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
It's obviously an embryo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or