U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-17-2018, 02:16 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

This is probably a hoax but it sounds good. I suppose we never know who will discover the first message. Regardless whether you rate Abovetopsecret or not, these two posts below are worth reading.

Similar to Carl Sagan's book Contact, and the film of the same name, this guy posting on Abovetopsecret feels he has found an intelligent signal in FRB121102.

He has explained what he has found and he has informed all the 'correct' people.
Quote:
Sent it to SETI, sent it to the observatory teams, talked about it on online forums, from reddit to 4chan, even talked about it on ATS before. I posted it on pastebin, youtube, anywhere with an open forum. Sent it to the US Military, sent it to the CIA. I even talked about it on IRC. No one cares. So, neither do I.
Link 1
Link 2

Maybe it is because it has not been discovered by a 'proper' scientist? It would be ironic if the first contact was dismissed as uninteresting by science but I have to say that I can imagine this is what would happen if it was not discovered by 'one of them' in the industry.

The links I gave above explain what he found, where and how he thinks it is an intelligent signal.

Any of you think you are qualified to check his work? It would be interesting to hear what you say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-19-2018, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,257 posts, read 483,431 times
Reputation: 2126
I always assume not, unless there's extraordinary evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
45 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 138
As Carl Sagan once said, "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 AM
 
1,211 posts, read 431,489 times
Reputation: 2688
You have to have faith and believe it does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 04:46 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,257 posts, read 483,431 times
Reputation: 2126
I wonder what would motivate aliens to broadcast a message across the Universe? You might not get a message back for billions of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-06-2019, 05:06 PM
 
1,211 posts, read 431,489 times
Reputation: 2688
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I wonder what would motivate aliens to broadcast a message across the Universe? You might not get a message back for billions of years.
I think earthlings are doing it too...sending out simple sequences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-07-2019, 05:46 PM
 
Location: Here
1,471 posts, read 358,645 times
Reputation: 5442
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
This is probably a hoax but it sounds good. I suppose we never know who will discover the first message. Regardless whether you rate Abovetopsecret or not, these two posts below are worth reading.
I doubt it's a hoax. Rather, it's just a phenomenon with an explanation other than "IT'S ALIENS!!!!!!!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Similar to Carl Sagan's book Contact, and the film of the same name, this guy posting on Abovetopsecret feels he has found an intelligent signal in FRB121102.

He has explained what he has found and he has informed all the 'correct' people.
Link 1
Link 2

Maybe it is because it has not been discovered by a 'proper' scientist? It would be ironic if the first contact was dismissed as uninteresting by science but I have to say that I can imagine this is what would happen if it was not discovered by 'one of them' in the industry.
I have no idea what that last paragraph is even supposed to mean. Both sentences are nonsensical. And what you mean by 'proper' is beyond me. The signal was detected by Breakthrough Listen, which is based at the Astronomy Department of UC-Berkeley. How you think an organization based at a state-operated university's astronomy department is not comprised of 'proper scientists' is ... well, inexplicable. The Breakthrough Listen leadership includes Frank Drake. Ann Druyan. Martin Royal. Do those names ring a bell? I'm pretty sure they're universally considered 'proper' astrophysicists.

Here's a non-wild-eyed account, free of hyperbole and empty assurances of this or that:
https://www.seti.org/frb-121102-radi...t-civilization

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
The links I gave above explain what he found, where and how he thinks it is an intelligent signal.

Any of you think you are qualified to check his work? It would be interesting to hear what you say.
The fact that it's three billion light-years away strongly suggests that it's not a beamed message but some sort of of unbelievably massive periodic eruption of energy. So not only is it coming from somewhere out of our galaxy, it's coming from out of our galaxy group. And from another galaxy cluster altogether. And from another galaxy supercluster. And from another filament (of which galactic superclusters are mere subgroupings). At any rate, were it a message intentionally sent, whatever entity that sent it did so three billion years ago. Ponder that.

By the way, FRB121102 and its repeating was discovered some years ago. I'm not sure why all the sudden breathless hype. It's hardly a secret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2019, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Here
1,471 posts, read 358,645 times
Reputation: 5442
One thing that amuses me about those who hold that extraterrestrial intelligence is relatively common usually explain our failure to actually observe any evidence of such for, among other reasons, these:

*Those civilizations would have no interest in beings so primitive as us (an utterly unfounded assumption, by the way), and

*Those civilizations would be so advanced that we could not possibly recognize evidence of their existence (again, unfounded)

Yet in regards to FRB 121102, they cry out in chorus:
"They sending us messages, it's so obvious!"

Their story does a complete 180 depending on the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 12:17 AM
 
Location: Martinsburg, West Virginia
45 posts, read 8,756 times
Reputation: 138
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." ~ Carl Sagan.

Claiming a signal from a Fast Radio Burst contains a message from intelligent life elsewhere is an extraordinary claim. Has extraordinary proof been offered to back the claim? The proof would have to irrefutable. If irrefutable proof has been presented, the question is answered. If not, then the question is answered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2019, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Here
1,471 posts, read 358,645 times
Reputation: 5442
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel23 View Post
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." ~ Carl Sagan.

Claiming a signal from a Fast Radio Burst contains a message from intelligent life elsewhere is an extraordinary claim. Has extraordinary proof been offered to back the claim? The proof would have to irrefutable. If irrefutable proof has been presented, the question is answered. If not, then the question is answered.
Well, let's have a look at the content of the OP's links:

Quote:
FRB121102

The only repeating FRB, as of right now.

In case anyone wanted to know the actual name for the one, mentioned in the article.

FRB121102 is artificial, beyond reasonable doubt.
Here, the claimant states that any disagreement that the source is artificial is unreasonable. It's an empty declaration, but a classic shtick by BSers.

Quote:
That fact is not acknowledged by the majority of mainstream astronomers, for now.
'mainstream astonomer' is a nonsense term that means nothing and serves only to create a nebulous 'them' that is attempting to suppress the truth, for unexplained and, frankly, inexplicable reasons.

The determination of whether or not FRB121102 is artificial in nature, thankfully, is not up to those astronomers.

Quote:
That determination is up to mathematicians, statisticians, and appropriate researchers.
'appropriate' = 'ones that agree with me!'

Quote:
Astronomers can only describe features of the transmission source. They can neither prove, nor disprove, that the signal is artificially created.

I back my claim, 100%, FRB121102 is an intelligently constructed signal.
You 'back it 100%'? Another nonsensical, meaninglless comment. Any anonymous poster issuing a guarantee. God, he's practically screaming "If you believe what I'm shoveling, you're beyond gullible!".

Quote:
Regardless of HOW it was created, (some sort of super polarized neutron star, last I read) the signal itself, has earmarks that are a dead giveaway for intelligence.

It contains a mathematical anomaly, relative to the universal constant "pi"
Feel free to lay out for us what that means.

Quote:
This anomaly has extremely low chances for occurrence, compounded with the fact that FRB121102 is still, 100% unique, and no FRB has similar qualities, the odds that the mathematical relationship with "pi" being in the ONLY repeating FRB, completely by happenstance, are drastically low.
Feel free to lay out how you calculated those 'drastically low' odds. I mean, after you explain that vague nonsense about 'a mathematical anomaly, relative to the universal constant "pi"'.

Also, any particular reason you put 'pi' in quotes? That's weird. I marked it off because I'm referring to it as a word, in reference to your comment. But you were referring to it as its definition.

Quote:
I'm the unfortunate bastard, that found the anomaly. (I don't really care about it anymore, I tried to tell people about it for months. No one gave a damn. So I, also, stopped giving a damn about it. Sent it to SETI, sent it to the observatory teams, talked about it on online forums, from reddit to 4chan, even talked about it on ATS before. I posted it on pastebin, youtube, anywhere with an open forum. Sent it to the US Military, sent it to the CIA. I even talked about it on IRC. No one cares. So, neither do I.)
Wow. What's quite the conspiracy. Did you notify the Bilderbergs and the Trilateral Commission, too?

By the way... why on Earth do you think the Central Intelligence Agency would be interested in what emanated from some distant galaxy three billion years ago?

Quote:
That's how I know, it is in there.

I had to lie, a little bit, to get the proper information.

The fits file from the Greenbank Observatory is publicly available.

I listened to the raw from it.

EDIT: If for some, unknown reason, anyone starts to care, I will describe the anomaly one more time, here.

The center bandwidth frequency from FRB121102, given how massively energetic this signal is, and how polarized, even across 3 billion light years, the center bandwidth frequency value, would not be changed.

I took pi, and raised it to that center bandwidth frequency number's numerical value, as an exponent. On a shot in the dark, "Contact" style analysis.
Using a Hollywood film as a model is always an excellent idea. Did these chatty aliens make the Kessel Run in less than five parsecs, too?

Quote:
I got back a fractional number, as a whole it is a prime, and all numbers contained therein, also prime numbers. (Total of 4 primes.)
There was a "00" delimiter, as well as a decimal point in the first resultant number.

On a whim, I moved my decimal place and did the exponent again.
Math salad. Feel free to share some actual numbers. Or would that give the game away?

Quote:
The result was a number that is not prime.
Goodness gracious! Smelling salts, please!

Quote:
However, that specific non-prime number, has 4 factors, aside from 1 and itself.

All 4 of those factors are prime numbers, each, with at least 11 digits and more.

On the number line, the next number with that characteristic is 1*10^34 numerical values away.

So, can a number like that, manifest completely at random? Yes.
Can it manifest at random, from the ONLY REPEATING RADIO SIGNAL WE'VE EVER SEEN FROM DEEP SPACE WITH THAT MUCH ENERGY?
Whoa! ALLCAPS! I'm convinced!



As for 'only repeating'? FRB 180814 repeats as well. And the peak flux of FRB121102 (a rather weak 0.4Jy) has been exceeded by numerous other FRBs.

Quote:
The odds are beyond astronomical.
Again, feel free to share your calculations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:08 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top