U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2018, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,536 posts, read 2,411,240 times
Reputation: 8162

Advertisements

The costs and efforts of going back to the moon do not meet the benefits. Period.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2018, 11:25 AM
 
1,422 posts, read 1,119,192 times
Reputation: 1672
Private enterprise needs to be the ones to take us back to the moon. When they do it there will be a reason and value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 11:21 AM
 
12,298 posts, read 3,243,968 times
Reputation: 8182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
How would anti-gravity using counter rotating rings be applied in a meaningful way to go to the Moon? You put out a nugget of interest without any supporting references.
Well, since we did this experiment in high school back in the 90s, I would imagine they have learned more about anti-grav by now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Westwood, MA
3,608 posts, read 4,777,316 times
Reputation: 4663
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
With all the classified tech the US govt keeps under wraps, I have no doubt they have something that would work just fine!

Heck, even back in 1990s high school psychics class, we achieved 'anti gravity' using counter rotating magnetic rings! the AG effect was toroidal as well. LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
How would anti-gravity using counter rotating rings be applied in a meaningful way to go to the Moon? You put out a nugget of interest without any supporting references.
You missed where he said "psychics" class, not physics class. In physics class they would have probably explained that you can use a magnetic force to counteract gravity, but it's not anti-gravity and won't propel you anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Toronto
489 posts, read 113,887 times
Reputation: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The costs and efforts of going back to the moon do not meet the benefits. Period.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.
Higher costs due to more restrictions. The amount of liability, regulations, danger, safety makes it impossible.

The culture back then was one of machoness and a cowboy of the wild west. If I do.. so be it. That would never fly today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 01:04 PM
 
5,206 posts, read 8,210,066 times
Reputation: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well, since we did this experiment in high school back in the 90s, I would imagine they have learned more about anti-grav by now.
Thanks. I'm interested in knowing more about the 1990s HS experiment.

- What was involved with the the HS class experiment?
- What did it do that validates actual anti-gravity?
- How do counter rotating magnetic rings demonstrate anti-gravity?
- Was there a power source for the experiment?

You mention "I would imagine they have learned more about anti-grav by now." Forget about imagining since that doesn't conclusively prove anything.
- Who are "they"?

As far as I know, anti-gravity, as a force, is still hypothetical. That is to say it has never been proven. If you have any additional references to the contrary, please include links that support such claims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gravity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 01:32 PM
 
5,206 posts, read 8,210,066 times
Reputation: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
You missed where he said "psychics" class, not physics class. In physics class they would have probably explained that you can use a magnetic force to counteract gravity, but it's not anti-gravity and won't propel you anywhere.
You're right. I did miss that!
Perhaps Judge Mentok the Mind-Taker (from Harvey Birdman) who repels gravity by psychically floating into the courtroom to the judge's bench?
"Oo-wee-eeooo!"




https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-klQ-kpq98
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 04:10 PM
 
Location: my little town
1,413 posts, read 478,169 times
Reputation: 1393
The higher level of difficulty and expense is carrying enough fuel for the return trip. We could throw a coffee can at it and call that a lunar landing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2018, 04:45 PM
 
5,206 posts, read 8,210,066 times
Reputation: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
The higher level of difficulty and expense is carrying enough fuel for the return trip.
That's exactly what was done with the manned lunar landings. There was enough fuel to get them off the Moon and back to Earth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
We could throw a coffee can at it and call that a lunar landing.
That might be a landing, but it isn't going to launch the coffee can off the Moon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2018, 09:13 AM
 
12,298 posts, read 3,243,968 times
Reputation: 8182
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks. I'm interested in knowing more about the 1990s HS experiment.

- What was involved with the the HS class experiment?
- What did it do that validates actual anti-gravity?
- How do counter rotating magnetic rings demonstrate anti-gravity?
- Was there a power source for the experiment?

You mention "I would imagine they have learned more about anti-grav by now." Forget about imagining since that doesn't conclusively prove anything.
- Who are "they"?

As far as I know, anti-gravity, as a force, is still hypothetical. That is to say it has never been proven. If you have any additional references to the contrary, please include links that support such claims.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-gravity
When the counter rotating rings were spinning, we dropped a paperclip into the center and it was suspended in mid air...that was the whole point of the experiment, it created a small area of anti-gravity.

Anyone can do this experiment at home, we used 2 electric motors to spin the rings, we magnetized them both first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top