U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 AM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times

Advertisements

Really? You're still harping about NASA having to give up on a piece of equipment that lasted 14 years in a hostile environment? It was only expected to be operational for 90 days.

90 days.
14 years.

And you call it planned obsolescence.

You seem to have a problem that is beyond understanding by any rational being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2019, 05:02 AM

3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
What makes you think everyone on here is rational? There are some on here who just love to criticize and thats really rather sad when you could focus on more positive things.

I meant that perhaps the dust storm came along at an opportune moment. In the past there have been numerous cleaning events in which the wind was far less powerful and which were reported as amazingly, cleaning the solar panels.

NASA will soon have other rovers on Mars and may not want to spread their resources to cover supporting old out-dated equipment. Like you say, they probably think they have had their money's worth after 14 years.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:02 PM

28,638 posts, read 40,613,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
OK, so we have officially now dumped Opportunity after extensive 'wake-up calls' to it by the scientists. I wonder why the 'cleaning events' failed this time to clear off the dust from the solar panels.

Possibly it is 'planned obsolescence' and so my prediction has come true. What a surprise. (Well, not to me anyway)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
What makes you think everyone on here is rational? There are some on here who just love to criticize and thats really rather sad when you could focus on more positive things.

I meant that perhaps the dust storm came along at an opportune moment. In the past there have been numerous cleaning events in which the wind was far less powerful and which were reported as amazingly, cleaning the solar panels.

NASA will soon have other rovers on Mars and may not want to spread their resources to cover supporting old out-dated equipment. Like you say, they probably think they have had their money's worth after 14 years.
You backtrack nicely.

You (again) claim that NASA has "officially now dumped Opportunity after extensive 'wake-up calls' to it by the scientists". Then brag about your prediction that it was possibly planned obsolescence, which is so clearly not the case that an ape in Africa can see there was no planned obsolescence at all. I like the addition of "possibly".

Now you're talking about a wind storm showing up at an opportune moment. I gather from that that you are now claiming NASA used that dust storm to dump Opportunity.

The following statement might be my favorite in the entire thread.

Quote:
There are some on here who just love to criticize and thats really rather sad when you could focus on more positive things.
So we should be focusing on more positive things unlike you claiming over and over that NASA is some evil group that took (in your opinion only) an opportunity (after 14 years fer God's sake) to dump the rover.

Yeah that's a positive attitude.

Don't worry. I'll continue to call you out every time you post this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space