U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-07-2018, 12:57 AM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950

Advertisements

I just thought that others might be interested in the story of the Russian 'shuttle' along with pictures from this Polish photographer.

He also has projects on Chernobyl and Fukushima.
https://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/?lg=en
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
80 posts, read 36,437 times
Reputation: 126
The Soviet Shuttle had a major problem in that it's attachment points to the ENERGIYA booster were highly stressed. The Shuttle itself didn't produce propulsion of it's own at launch, so all that aerodynamic pressure which the American shuttle offset with the Main Engines may have been sufficient to prevent the vehicle from being re-used nearly as often. Overall program cost was way up, and the Soviet Shuttles were (true to Soviet Doctrine) intended to be mass produced, cheap, and to be retired when they wore out instead of maintained. Hence the reason they built so many prototypes, so many models, and so many tests before production of the first Shuttle.

Another thing to consider: Soviet landing sites and launch sites had more severe weather than America has. Florida being closer to the Equator is very ideal. The Soviet launch site is superb, but wind conditions at most Soviet airfields were beyond what most Space Shuttle commanders would ever dream of approaching. For those reasons, the Soviet Shuttle had Jet engines... which got rid of the main engine concept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2018, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Madison, Alabama
3,971 posts, read 2,031,976 times
Reputation: 3043
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I just thought that others might be interested in the story of the Russian 'shuttle' along with pictures from this Polish photographer.

He also has projects on Chernobyl and Fukushima.
https://www.podniesinski.pl/portal/?lg=en
The guy did a very nice, and courageous, job. He'd make a good spy after having survived the ordeal without dying or being jailed for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2018, 10:56 PM
 
Location: PRC
3,250 posts, read 3,365,783 times
Reputation: 2950
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
The guy did a very nice, and courageous, job. He'd make a good spy after having survived the ordeal without dying or being jailed for life.
The point is, the world needs to know exactly what is going on and not just what the authorities want us to know. After the Japanese spin-doctors had their grubby little paws on it, there was not much truth left in the early days.

I was following it very closely, and still there is no admission of where the cores are now and what radioactive poisons they are producing. The radiation is being flushed into the sea locally because there is an underground source of water which flows through the site and past the cores. They cannot remove all the radiation from the cooling water, there is not enough storage space. Anyway...see the pictures linked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-14-2018, 07:30 AM
 
7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Reputation: 6765
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBard79 View Post
The Soviet Shuttle had a major problem in that it's attachment points to the ENERGIYA booster were highly stressed. The Shuttle itself didn't produce propulsion of it's own at launch, so all that aerodynamic pressure which the American shuttle offset with the Main Engines may have been sufficient to prevent the vehicle from being re-used nearly as often. Overall program cost was way up, and the Soviet Shuttles were (true to Soviet Doctrine) intended to be mass produced, cheap, and to be retired when they wore out instead of maintained. Hence the reason they built so many prototypes, so many models, and so many tests before production of the first Shuttle.

Another thing to consider: Soviet landing sites and launch sites had more severe weather than America has. Florida being closer to the Equator is very ideal. The Soviet launch site is superb, but wind conditions at most Soviet airfields were beyond what most Space Shuttle commanders would ever dream of approaching. For those reasons, the Soviet Shuttle had Jet engines... which got rid of the main engine concept.
The production Buran didn’t have jet engines - just the test articles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:51 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top