U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 04:31 PM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
That's a good plan. Maybe fully re-usable will be the next generation goal? Although it seems like the X-37 already has that accomplished.
As far as SpaceX is concerned, Crew Dragon delivers the contractual obligation for the CCDev project, but they appear to have their eyes on the BFR for next-generation manned flight. I doubt they'll tinker much more with Crew Dragon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 05:26 PM

3,007 posts, read 4,055,280 times
I saw this thread and had to chime in. I was always wondering if maybe I was the only one getting excited about Space X.

They have accomplished so much in such a short time and I amazed at their technology and their ability to dock at the space station. There are so many factors and obstacles they had to overcome and they did so flawlessly.

Is the American public desensitized to these types of accomplishments? As a child of the sixties I could not get enough of the space program back then. We were glued to the TV during the rocket launches and finally moon landings.

Nowadays it seems to be just a blurb in the news. My daughters and I watch as many of their launches as we can and sometimes we are lucky enough to see the night launches from our deck.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-11-2019 at 06:33 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I saw this thread and had to chime in. I was always wondering if maybe I was the only one getting excited about Space X.

They have accomplished so much in such a short time and I amazed at their technology and their ability to dock at the space station. There are so many factors and obstacles they had to overcome and they did so flawlessly.

Is the American public desensitized to these types of accomplishments? As a child of the sixties I could not get enough of the space program back then. We were glued to the TV during the rocket launches and finally moon landings.

Nowadays it seems to be just a blurb in the news. My daughters and watch as many of their launches as we can and sometimes we are lucky enough to see the night launches from our deck.
It's amazing how they make it seem so easy. It's at the point where a landed first stage on a docked barge in San Pedro Harbor barely raises an eyebrow - "Oh, there must have been a launch. Cool."

Old 03-12-2019, 01:20 PM

3,507 posts, read 2,946,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
As far as SpaceX is concerned, Crew Dragon delivers the contractual obligation for the CCDev project, but they appear to have their eyes on the BFR for next-generation manned flight. I doubt they'll tinker much more with Crew Dragon.
I don’t remember where I read it, but one article claimed that the goal is to keep the Crew Dragon as SpaceX’s sole vehicle for orbital “taxi” missions, and focus on Starship for everything else. The implication is that the company will also stop manufacturing the Cargo Dragon, and again, just reuse “flight-proven” Crew Dragons for those cargo missions.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:19 PM

4,805 posts, read 3,284,250 times
I think they are the last hope in america that we can still do great things

Old 03-13-2019, 10:08 PM

1,410 posts, read 1,113,819 times
The space program went nowhere for decades because it was run by the government, and it had no consistent purpose or direction. What SpaceX has done is show that Boeing, Lockheed, et. Al. could have done something on their own over all those decades, but simply made the conscious decision not to. Imagine where we'd be now if instead they had decided to advance space technology like Musk is doing now.

Last edited by jdhpa; 03-13-2019 at 10:46 PM..

Old 03-15-2019, 12:17 AM

4,805 posts, read 3,284,250 times
why didn't lockheed or boeing do anything? That was a lot decades wasted. I guess having china trying to take over the moon is good stimulus for the US space program.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:05 AM

7,129 posts, read 3,895,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
The space program went nowhere for decades because it was run by the government, and it had no consistent purpose or direction. What SpaceX has done is show that Boeing, Lockheed, et. Al. could have done something on their own over all those decades, but simply made the conscious decision not to. Imagine where we'd be now if instead they had decided to advance space technology like Musk is doing now.
You realize of course that all of the participants now are being funded BY the government for the Commercial Crew program....? $2.6 Billion to SpaceX and $4.2 Billion to Boeing for development.

Also, during the decades of the Shuttle there was little impetus to fund and build another manned launch system to LEO.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:48 AM

1,410 posts, read 1,113,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You realize of course that all of the participants now are being funded BY the government for the Commercial Crew program....? $2.6 Billion to SpaceX and $4.2 Billion to Boeing for development.

Also, during the decades of the Shuttle there was little impetus to fund and build another manned launch system to LEO.
He has a combination of private money and government money. That's his method with just about everything. Boeing and lockheed, however, were already established, profitable companies and could have done it on their own. They chose not to.

The impetus to build another launch system is to create new markets. Had Boeing and lockheed looked at it that way we would have decades more advancement behind us, but instead they looked at it like government contractors.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
You're both right. SpaceX got their start because the government had two settings for launch technology: Old-school NASA programs, which are ambitious as all out, but mostly focus on diverting money to the right districts - and military launches using ULA, who existed to wring every dollar out of their de facto monopoly for as long as they could. There was a market for commercial launches.

Enter SpaceX who decides to build their rockets in one facility, build as much as possible in-house to make integration easy, and whose ambitions started out simply getting stuff to orbit at a good price point. Once they were - ehm - off the ground, it became worthwhile for NASA to use them for ISS resupply and commercial crew development. But SpaceX would have taken much longer to venture into manned launches without the government cash.

Quote:
Little impetus, and no money. The Shuttle program absorbed an obscene amount of money that could have been better spent in so many ways. But it was the only game in town and was allowed to drag on for way too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or