U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-05-2019, 09:59 AM
 
Location: Mars City
5,536 posts, read 2,412,499 times
Reputation: 8162

Advertisements

Does it really matter whether or not there is life elsewhere? Don't we have enough to pay attention to and work on down here, in the short time we're given? I don't know about you, but I don't have time to waste fantasizing about things I have no control over and will never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-05-2019, 11:54 AM
 
4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
Reputation: 6075
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
The bottom line is, we really don’t know. The following quote is by someone I saw on a talk show and expresses my sentiments precisely; I unfortunately cannot remember the author of this line.

“We are either alone in the universe, or we are not. Either way, it’s incredible.”
Speculating is fun though. Besides, we don't have to have all the facts to make inferences. Fifty years ago, anyone who believed that other stars in the galaxy should have planets orbiting them because our sun did would be proven right today.

I am in the lone earth universe camp who would be happy to be proven wrong.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-05-2019 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 02:01 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
1,827 posts, read 1,401,000 times
Reputation: 1909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Does it really matter whether or not there is life elsewhere? Don't we have enough to pay attention to and work on down here, in the short time we're given? I don't know about you, but I don't have time to waste fantasizing about things I have no control over and will never know.

Some people care because not only do they think "globally," but many people wonder about our Universe and what lies in it or what is the actual point of its vast size.

And then there are people like you, who don't care and only care about the life in your town or state. That's what makes our intelligent human life so diverse, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Reputation: 2212
Here's a favorite quote from T. S. Eliot's Little Gidding:

"We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time."

In my case I interpret the place 'where we started' as the Earth, and what we 'know' of it is what we'll learn from all of our explorations. Much can be learned about the Earth from just exploring different environments and seeing what makes them unique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 07:52 PM
 
22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
The bottom line is, we really don’t know. The following quote is by someone I saw on a talk show and expresses my sentiments precisely; I unfortunately cannot remember the author of this line.

“We are either alone in the universe, or we are not. Either way, it’s incredible.”
You might be thinking of Arthur C. Clarke who is credited with having said, ''Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.''

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

I don't know though why it should be terrifying either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2019, 08:00 PM
 
22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times
Reputation: 9512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Does it really matter whether or not there is life elsewhere? Don't we have enough to pay attention to and work on down here, in the short time we're given? I don't know about you, but I don't have time to waste fantasizing about things I have no control over and will never know.
I don't know how anyone could not be curious to know whether there is other life in the universe, or not have a desire to expand our knowledge of the universe we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2019, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Maryland
2,180 posts, read 737,031 times
Reputation: 4938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
You might be thinking of Arthur C. Clarke who is credited with having said, ''Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.''

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Arthur_C._Clarke

I don't know though why it should be terrifying either way.
I agree, terrifying does not capture my feeling about the possibilities at all. The word incredible does though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 11:57 AM
 
12,333 posts, read 3,249,816 times
Reputation: 8207
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Speculating is fun though. Besides, we don't have to have all the facts to make inferences. Fifty years ago, anyone who believed that other stars in the galaxy should have planets orbiting them because our sun did would be proven right today.

I am in the lone earth universe camp who would be happy to be proven wrong.
You are right, 'WE' dont know...but 'they' certainly do! (they being Govt/military).


I posted this in another thread on this topic...Ive been to the Air Force museum at Wright Patterson AFB a number of times, when I was a child back in the 1980s, I remember they had a glass display case entitled 'UFO'...they had a bunch of materials that had been recovered over the years with descriptions, the one that most interested me was a large piece of honeycomb looking material, it was orange in color, about 6" thick, according to the description, this piece was NOT made on earth, it was much stronger than steel and lighter than aluminum.


They removed this display case in the late 80s, but if you ask some of the older volunteers that work there, they are more than happy to talk about it. I went to the museum last month with my dad and spoke to one of the volunteers about this, I learned quite a bit from that discussion.


The strange thing is, if you message the museum on their official website and ask about this display case, they will not even admit it existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2019, 03:22 PM
 
5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times
Reputation: 3188
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
You are right, 'WE' dont know...but 'they' certainly do! (they being Govt/military).
That doesn't make sense. If 'WE' don't know, then you can't really say 'they' know, because 'WE' wouldn't know if 'they' know or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-10-2019, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago, IL
4,265 posts, read 4,278,838 times
Reputation: 5017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
How any sane person can't fathom life as advanced as ours or even more advanced in this universe is beyond me.
I agree. There are probably trillions of planets that can support some form of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:49 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top