U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:09 PM

22,794 posts, read 17,268,975 times

Advertisements

Speaking on a number of things, he says that the President has given NASA 'Space Policy Directive One,' which says to go back to the moon at least by 2020 with commercial lunar payload services (scientific instruments) that will be funded through the Science Mission Directorate. Space Policy Directive One is also about eventually having a sustainable human presence on and around the moon in conjunction with commercial and international partners. He talks about the Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway which will have solar electric propulsion and will be capable of taking astronauts to all points of the moon. The Lunar Gateway has been fully funded in the 2020 budget. He then addresses plans to go to Mars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSfhws_XCpI

In an address from Kennedy Space Center on March 11, 2019, NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine
shares the work underway to return astronauts to the Moon and onward to Mars. #Moon2Mars
More: https://www.nasa.gov/moontomars

Last edited by Mike555; 03-18-2019 at 01:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 01:41 PM

NASA Administrator Statement on NASA’s Moon to Mars Plans, FY 2020 Budget

The following is a statement from NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine:
“President Trump’s fiscal year 2020 NASA budget is one of the strongest on record for our storied agency. At $21 billion, this budget represents a nearly 6 percent increase over last year’s request and comes at a time of constrained resources across the federal government. It also is a huge vote of confidence for all of the agency’s hard work and dedication.

“We will go to the Moon in the next decade with innovative, new technologies and systems to explore more locations across the lunar surface than ever before. This time, when we go to the Moon, we will stay. We will use what we learn as we move forward to the Moon to take the next giant leap – sending astronauts to Mars.

Read more: https://www.nasa.gov/press-release/n...fy-2020-budget

Old 03-18-2019, 02:15 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
NASA policy changes like the winds with each President. I've learned not to put much faith in individual programs. Better to focus on building the infrastructure so we can accomplish whatever mission each administration prefers.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
NASA policy changes like the winds with each President. I've learned not to put much faith in individual programs. Better to focus on building the infrastructure so we can accomplish whatever mission each administration prefers.
Yes, but for now, NASA has a budget it can work with, and a directive to go back to the moon. NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine was pretty certain that as soon as 2020, it can with the help of commerical and international partners begin sending scientific instruments to the moon. And the Lunar Orbital Platform-Gateway has been funded in the 2020 budget.

It is true however that the next president could throw a monkey wrench into NASA's long range plans. But for now it's looking good.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:53 PM

33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Commercial services for a lunar Orion mission? - the SLS crew will not be happy.

SLS Block 1B has been delayed - the budget "instead focuses the program on the completion of the initial version of the SLS and supporting a reliable SLS and Orion annual flight cadence", which is politics-speech for "Build us a damn rocket that flies, then maybe you'll get money for a bigger one".

Old 03-18-2019, 05:01 PM

5,839 posts, read 3,591,211 times
I realize our relations with China, are less than ideal right now, but what about a joint China/US Lunar Base?

They, the Chinese, definitely have more money than the Russians, I guess we can always form a partnership with the EU and Japan and have them also chip in for a Lunar Base. Not that I don't think the US can "go it alone" or at least pay for a good chunk of it, but it's always nice to get others on board and help pay for these advancements as well!

Old 03-18-2019, 05:59 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
I knew it. No one wants to admit it but China's moon landing compels the US to answer the challenge just like with the Soviet Union earlier. We should build a manned base on the moon and claim it for ourselves.

I am not a fan of that NASA commercial video though.

Old 03-19-2019, 01:44 AM

2,960 posts, read 1,127,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I knew it. No one wants to admit it but China's moon landing compels the US to answer the challenge just like with the Soviet Union earlier. We should build a manned base on the moon and claim it for ourselves.

If it gets the US to step up it's A game, then I'm all for it.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:07 AM

18,547 posts, read 55,485,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post

I think you are on the right track, but I suspect that the boffins have begun to comprehend that the hottest real estate in the solar system for the next hundred years may end up being the lunar poles. With some water in the soil, a near 100% ensolation for power, robotic factories, low gravity, easily maintained sterile conditions, no near NIMBY neighbors, relative safety during testing that goes pear shaped, constant earth link, unlimited space for expansion, those two lunar poles represent the new colonization of the Americas. Any "race" is likely for those two relatively small segments of the surface. Besides, we have to find and destroy the NAZIs on the far side of the moon, as shown in the documentary "Iron Sky"

Old 03-19-2019, 10:29 AM

33,821 posts, read 17,312,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I think you are on the right track, but I suspect that the boffins have begun to comprehend that the hottest real estate in the solar system for the next hundred years may end up being the lunar poles. With some water in the soil, a near 100% ensolation for power, robotic factories, low gravity, easily maintained sterile conditions, no near NIMBY neighbors, relative safety during testing that goes pear shaped, constant earth link, unlimited space for expansion, those two lunar poles represent the new colonization of the Americas. Any "race" is likely for those two relatively small segments of the surface. Besides, we have to find and destroy the NAZIs on the far side of the moon, as shown in the documentary "Iron Sky"
Still not seeing anything worth lowering oneself into that gravity well for, though. Just being there for the sake of being there seems a little futile. Let's get to the asteroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or