U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 08:09 AM

2,180 posts, read 737,031 times

Advertisements

It sounds like a suspected technical discrepancy is now becoming accepted as a real phenomena that might require a shift in our understanding of the physics of the universe. Fascinating stuff...makes one aware of how little we really understand.

https://www.cnet.com/news/universe-i...one-knows-why/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 12:03 PM

2,758 posts, read 2,699,238 times
As Steven Wright says, "They say the universe is expanding. That should help with traffic."

Old 04-26-2019, 12:30 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Yes, what we can see and touch around us is really just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the universe's machinery is hidden away where we can't seem to find it. Most perplexing.

Old 04-26-2019, 05:53 PM

398 posts, read 369,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Yes, what we can see and touch around us is really just the tip of the iceberg. Most of the universe's machinery is hidden away where we can't seem to find it. Most perplexing.
Agreed, our senses block out so much.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel350z View Post
Agreed, our senses block out so much.
I read an interesting comment, observation, whatever.....

Paraphrasing, the person said that it might be that we will never be able to understand our universe because our minds and bodies and senses evolved to make sense of the immediate world we occupy. Anything too much out of the ordinary “does not compute.”

It reminded me of one of my cats watching cars racing on TV. He kept looking behind the TV as they travelled off one edge of the screen. It made me feel bad for him that here was this device that could show him the whole world, explain all sorts of marvels and mysteries...but he could live 1,000 years and never really understand the technology that made it possible, or even much of what it was showing him. He is a wonderfully capable creature for the world in which he evolved but much of the world of man “does not compute”.

Old 04-27-2019, 08:04 AM

4,978 posts, read 2,041,806 times
makes sense to me.
i have read research that speculates about the speed of light slowing down since the Big Bang.
so, if it is, then the furthest away, which we can measure, is moving faster than what is close by.

Old 05-02-2019, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I read an interesting comment, observation, whatever.....

Paraphrasing, the person said that it might be that we will never be able to understand our universe because our minds and bodies and senses evolved to make sense of the immediate world we occupy. Anything too much out of the ordinary “does not compute.”

It reminded me of one of my cats watching cars racing on TV. He kept looking behind the TV as they travelled off one edge of the screen. It made me feel bad for him that here was this device that could show him the whole world, explain all sorts of marvels and mysteries...but he could live 1,000 years and never really understand the technology that made it possible, or even much of what it was showing him. He is a wonderfully capable creature for the world in which he evolved but much of the world of man “does not compute”.
Makes you wonder how everything is so perfect in the universe that allows life to exist. Without the iron from supernova's we wouldn't exist today.

Old 05-03-2019, 01:02 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Quote:
Makes you wonder how everything is so perfect in the universe that allows life to exist. Without the iron from supernova's we wouldn't exist today.

Weak anthropic principle.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Weak anthropic principle.
How so?

Old 05-06-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
How so?
It wasn’t a criticism. It was the statement of a definition.

“Definition of anthropic principle
: either of two principles in cosmology:
a : conditions that are observed in the universe must allow the observer to exist
called also weak anthropic principle
b : the universe must have properties that make inevitable the existence of intelligent life
— called also strong anthropic principle”

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dict...ic%20principle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or