U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2019, 03:22 PM

4,978 posts, read 2,041,806 times

Advertisements

no lie:
https://mars.nasa.gov/participate/se...name/mars2020/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:54 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,870 times
Already did this. So cool!

Old 05-31-2019, 12:00 AM

39,937 posts, read 57,770,652 times
I don't feel that important or entitled...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-31-2019, 10:02 AM

5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times
I did this for the Curiosity rover. This has also been done for a couple of other missions, including (I think) the Phoenix Lander. You submit your name which is added to a chip, along with the names of others who participated. The end result is that your name is sent to Mars. I'm not sure the chip is actually used. As far as I know, it's basically an alternative to placing names on a piece of paper or etched on a plaque. The chip can hold a lot of names. In a nutshell, it's just a public relations program that allows people from around the world to send a tiny piece of themselves (their name) as digital graffiti to the planet Mars. It's pretty unlikely any people on Mars in the future will ever retrieve the chip, although I suppose that's possible. Still, it's not often to send such a symbol of yourself to Mars or elsewhere around the galaxy.

With the 2020 rover, the chip will be attached and included somewhere inside the rover. You can sort of think of it as having your name as a proxy of yourself traveling with the rover across the surface of Mars. If you think about it in an historical sense, people have left traces of their existence here on Earth for a long time. Handprints and drawings in caves is an example. Some of those things were made some 65,000 years ago and can still be seen today. Tombstones are another example where names of people can be found. The Hollywood Walk of Fame is another example.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cave_painting
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_Walk_of_Fame
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space