U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2019, 04:45 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,401,000 times

Advertisements

The Russian made Soyuz is the only vehicle to take humans into space at this time. We pay Russia $70 million per seat on that thing!

Where is exactly is the development to create an American spacecraft - I’m a little confused. So is SpaceX and Blue Origin using their own money to make spacecrafts for humans? And NASA is investing/developing their own system called the SLS? But if SpaceX or Blue Origin succeeds, NASA would help fund that program? If both of those companies succeed, would NASA still go with the SLS? Or is the main idea to allow private companies to also attempt to develop this stuff to help speed/cost issues?

Even thought the Russian Soyuz is very reliable (although old), would love to see a modern American engineered spacecraft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2019, 11:46 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,563,870 times
SpaceX gets its funding through private ventures as well as sales of putting satellites into orbit. NASA currently has a contract with them to supply the ISS through non-manned payload launches. They might also get some funding through research grants, etc but I'm not sure about that.

SpaceX is indeed currently developing a crew capsule (the Dragon Capsule) that will allow them to take people into orbit. They are currently in the testing phase with it and hope to be ready within the next year or two.
Dragon | SpaceX

The SLS (Space Launch System) is NASA's home-grown rocket and it is designed pretty much from the get-go to go to Mars. It's capable of 5.5 million pounds of thrust. Atop of it will sit the Orion Crew Vehicle that is designed to take four lucky astronauts on long-duration missions. This project is also currently in the R&D phase.

SpaceX and NASA currently only have a contract with the ISS supply (they also lease out a launch pad to SpaceX at Cape Canaveral but I digress) so I don't see them actually funding SpaceX anytime soon. SpaceX has its own plans to go to Mars anyway but they are entirely separate from NASA's.

If NASA beats SpaceX to Mars, I would imagine NASA would continue to use SLS simply because they would be the ones running safety tests, quality checks, etc and the astronauts would be beholden to them. Less room for risk (and a mission to Mars is very risky already).
Likewise, SpaceX would continue to use Falcon Heavy for the same reasons. We would just have two amazing space ventures instead of one!

Now if SpaceX beats NASA to Mars, it's entirely possibly that congress could pull funding for SLS citing its redundancy.

Old 06-01-2019, 11:33 AM

1,827 posts, read 1,401,000 times
Adric, thank you. Excellent post! I will keep following the multiple companies on Facebook, etc

Old 06-03-2019, 10:31 AM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Following the setback with the Crew Dragon failure in April, the Boeing CST-100 may end up being the first of the two to run a crewed test mission to the ISS.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:25 PM

20,723 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
Where is exactly is the development to create an American spacecraft - I’m a little confused.
There's no confusion.

The short answer is you've had no leadership from NASA, no leadership from the Clinton, Bush, Obama or Trump Administrations and no leadership from Congress.

Note that the US is one of the few developed countries that does not have a cabinet level position for science, technology or both.

In countries that do have one, the office advocates for science and technology and coordinates research and development with government agencies, the military, universities and public and private entities. If they had the money and resources of the US, they probably would have a space program.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:29 PM

2,715 posts, read 3,004,678 times
Didn't Congress cut its funding to NASA some years ago? Isn't that what brought on much of what we see with NASA today? I seem to remember that and do remember it often when I read of these other involvements. Still, what is wrong with cooperation between public and private? One side has money. The other side has talent. Both have knowledge and skill. Many hands make light work. Yes?

Old 06-06-2019, 06:59 PM

20,723 posts, read 14,670,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
Didn't Congress cut its funding to NASA some years ago? Isn't that what brought on much of what we see with NASA today? I seem to remember that and do remember it often when I read of these other involvements. Still, what is wrong with cooperation between public and private? One side has money. The other side has talent. Both have knowledge and skill. Many hands make light work. Yes?
I could not agree more.

I see no reason why government and private entities cannot cooperate.

I see no reason why the US cannot cooperate with other countries, either.

Space exploration is to everyone's advantage for any number of reasons.

It creates jobs. It creates technology which creates even more jobs and improves Standard of Living. It gives us a better understanding of Earth, of other planets and even other solar systems, and there are other solar systems.

Most importantly, we're going to have to leave here one day.

I don't pretend to know when, only that we will.

Earth is overdue for a major asteroid strike. Even if that wasn't true, another Glacial Period is coming, and that will displace Millions of people and significantly reduce the food supply to the point that people will have to be euthanized so that others can live.

So, it's in our best interest to engage in interstellar travel, but we're not going to be able to do that until we first can engage in intra-planetary travel.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
I could not agree more.

I see no reason why government and private entities cannot cooperate.

I see no reason why the US cannot cooperate with other countries, either.

Space exploration is to everyone's advantage for any number of reasons.

It creates jobs. It creates technology which creates even more jobs and improves Standard of Living. It gives us a better understanding of Earth, of other planets and even other solar systems, and there are other solar systems.

Most importantly, we're going to have to leave here one day.

I don't pretend to know when, only that we will.

Earth is overdue for a major asteroid strike. Even if that wasn't true, another Glacial Period is coming, and that will displace Millions of people and significantly reduce the food supply to the point that people will have to be euthanized so that others can live.

So, it's in our best interest to engage in interstellar travel, but we're not going to be able to do that until we first can engage in intra-planetary travel.

"We're going to have to leave ...... "

"The grass is always greener on the other side of the street." Hmmmm? Maybe. :-)

Old 06-08-2019, 01:52 PM

7,168 posts, read 3,920,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
NASA spending as a % of US GDP is lower than any time there were manned missions, starting with Mercury.

It makes total sense to commercialize “commodity” programs and focus on stretching our boundaries.

Old 06-08-2019, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
NASA spending as a % of US GDP is lower than any time there were manned missions, starting with Mercury.

It makes total sense to commercialize “commodity” programs and focus on stretching our boundaries.

Right. Ours is a market economy. I was just trying to remember. Congress supports things we think they should not, making them skip things they should support. So do states. I have evidence right outside my window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or