U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 11:05 AM

6,033 posts, read 2,752,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
methane is organic carbon/hydrogen, water is hydrogen/oxygen, I do not think there is any lack of possibilities for growing different plant life on Mars.

They might have to process the fungi, lichen, or microorganisms before they are eaten, but I do not think any of that will be beyond science to sort out.
OK, you let me know just how you plan to fix the carbon in methane into the "soil".

How about nitrogen, phosphorus, or any of the couple hundred other nutrients that are present in actual soil? And of course all the fungi and bacteria that go to breaking down dead material into nutrients usable by plants.

My guess is that you would need to start wtih some real Earth topsoil, with a bunch of chemical fertilizer, and grow a bunch of stuff, purely to compost it, and maybe in a few thousand years you'd have a start on a small patch of topsoil. Remember that earth top soil has been developing for - what? a billion years? When did the first single celled life exist on land?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 05:58 AM

3,231 posts, read 3,360,329 times
Quote:
OK, you let me know just how you plan to fix the carbon in methane into the "soil".
How about nitrogen, phosphorus, or any of the couple hundred other nutrients that are present in actual soil? And of course all the fungi and bacteria that go to breaking down dead material into nutrients usable by plants.
I wont go into all of this here, but I believe all the basic building blocks to life are already there. Water, carbon, oxygen, and it is well-known that fungi and bacteria can produce these minerals and chemicals from the their environment. I have seen an 's'-shaped something in an image which could be a worm, who knows?

current flowing water perhaps (red arrows)

and maybe even a bug hole in 1M132267223EFF05AMP2937M2M1 (unlikely to be gas from sub-surface due to the almost perfect roundness of the hole.)

I suspect the dust/soil on top of this rock may be spores from some kind of fungi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space