U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 10:42 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Well I said in the limited context of our Universe's linear time. There's no guarantee that the origin point of our Universe had linear time, so saying "forever" may actually be meaningless. For all we know it existed in some type of infinite quantum loop outside of time. But fair enough. Trying to prove the existence of God has thus far proven fruitless; demonstrating that other Universes exist may still be feasible. If another Universe is discovered, may we call it a Multiverse?
We can't even see beyond the observable universe and it is constantly expanding. In the future galaxies will be so far away from each other that lights from other galaxies won't even reach us. How will information from other universes reach us (assuming they exist)? I guess we will just have take Brian Greene's words for it. But's that too much of a faith-based system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 11:30 AM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
We can't even see beyond the observable universe and it is constantly expanding. In the future galaxies will be so far away from each other that lights from other galaxies won't even reach us. How will information from other universes reach us (assuming they exist)? I guess we will just have take Brian Greene's words for it. But's that too much of a faith-based system.

There are scientists who think we may be able to observe other Universes. For example, by looking for imprints on the CMB. Just because we can't do that now, doesn't mean it won't happen.

Old 08-08-2019, 01:20 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
There are scientists who think we may be able to observe other Universes. For example, by looking for imprints on the CMB. Just because we can't do that now, doesn't mean it won't happen.
That would amount to indirect evidence with no way to directly prove it apart from making assumptions. It's not likely we'll ever directly observe other universes. That said, anomalous spots have been seen in the CMB, in particular, the "Cold Spot" or "Rings", which has caused a bit of a ruckus. Some think it might have been caused from a collision with another universe leaving a cosmic bruise very early on in the growth of our own universe. That implication would suggest the possibility of a multiverse. Regardless, it's an example of indirect evidence, which in this case is still controversial. And again, the problem is there's no way to prove it. It could just as easily be an anomaly related to fluctuations, cosmic texture, or a supervoid, which grew larger over time with the expansion of space in the universe. The bottom line is that it remains a mystery.

https://www.skyandtelescope.com/astr...spot-heats-up/

https://physicsworld.com/a/competing...mic-cold-spot/

https://www.universetoday.com/142456...cmb-cold-spot/

Old 08-08-2019, 03:55 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Well this is like debating whether there is life elsewhere in the Universe. Some day we may be able to prove the existence of other Universes. The benefit of science-based speculation is that it may help us figure out how to do that.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:29 PM

12,894 posts, read 11,506,739 times
The notion of a multiverse is something enlightening to me but potentially a little depressing and lonely. On the one hand, if we don't have much luck finding other forms of life outside of our little blue dot, in our galaxy or even in the universe, than there is the possibility that it may exist in the odd universe here and there within a potentially limitless multiverse. On the other hand, it is hard to fathom how incredibly lonely we are in the multiverse, if life is not common in our universe or if we are the only game in town in it.

imagine that the odds of life in the universe so stacked against it and probabilities so low that not even in a universe life is common, but somehow it exists in one lonely spot in the Laniakea supercluster. I can't help but to think that maybe the reason we are here is because there always has been and always will be an infinite multiverse where universes are popping up all the time in an environment conducive to that process, and every once in awhile you get a little blue dot in some multiverse far far away that just didn't really beat incredible odds, but that our understanding of everything is so limited that it would just seem that way.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM

I like this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTNZDosUaBY&t=552s

Old 08-15-2019, 04:47 PM

5,210 posts, read 8,210,851 times
Quote:
I like this video.
Spacerip has produced an impressive number of high quality space-related videos. The big questions remain unanswered. What happened before the Big Bang? Are there any other universe-sized structures besides ours? So far, it remains unknown. But it doesn't stop us from asking the questions and seeking the answers.

Old 08-21-2019, 12:06 AM

Here is video about "before the big bang". Great for you if you can understand it. I don't. Multiverse folks should be pleased cause it's given here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsLw2siRW0

Old 08-24-2019, 11:20 AM

1,194 posts, read 381,570 times
Quote:
Here is video about "before the big bang". Great for you if you can understand it. I don't. Multiverse folks should be pleased cause it's given here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chsLw2siRW0
I was looking to see if anyone posted this already. Last post haha

Old 08-24-2019, 11:03 PM

Here is Sean Carroll's, author and physics professor at CalTech, take on the subject. He is one of my favorite scientists because he is more open-minded than some and is not afraid to say, "I don't know the answer." He is an atheist, by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEr-t17m2Fo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or