U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 11:58 AM

81 posts, read 20,327 times

Advertisements

I've read many theories about this issue , but which one do you think is the most plausible theory as to what happened before the Big Bang?

I believe in the 2 membranes colliding theory. The theory states that everytime 2 membranes get together , it creates a Big Bang and a baby universe. The process is endless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 01:09 PM

18,514 posts, read 55,435,808 times
So that theory boils down to: When a mommy brane loves a daddy brane very much... ?
Somewhere there are two very satisfied branes smoking stellar cigarettes.

I increasingly wonder if the Hindus were onto something, but any speculation on universe creation ends up being more religion than science, and seems to have little practical

Old 07-18-2019, 01:34 PM

4,659 posts, read 3,106,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
So that theory boils down to: When a mommy brane loves a daddy brane very much... ?

I increasingly wonder if the Hindus were onto something, but any speculation on universe creation ends up being more religion than science, and seems to have little practical
Any peer-reviewed scientific hypothesis on the creation of the universe is going to be about a billion times more useful than any religious ideas...because religious ideas never get specific enough to be useful. They like to claim "God did it" or some other supernatural force, which doesn't really tell anything about how it actually happened. Sometimes they'll remain vague enough to be interesting to me. I see Hinduism as one of these...because it has several creation stories and seems to acknowledge that it just doesn't know...but that's the most religious explanations ever offer: the admission that they just don't know.

Regarding practical value...I agree that it doesn't seem to now, but there was this one guy or other who showed some queen or other some trick with magnets and I don't remember what it was, but she asked "of what practical value does this interesting trick have" and the one guy responded, "Of what practical value is a newborn baby"

There are future discoveries thinking about these big questions might answer that we can't yet predict. God may have made the universe...but we need to avoid just saying "God did it" and leaving it at that. Einstein had the right idea, if you ask me. He wanted to understand God's thoughts...the strategy he used to piece the universe together. He did this by studying the physical universe. Those sorts of specific details aren't going to be in any holy text.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-18-2019 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 01:53 PM

4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Both sides end up with different dead ends.

One side believes the creator is the law quantum mechanics where something can come into existence out of nothing.

The other side believes the creator is a deity.

Last edited by davidt1; 07-18-2019 at 02:02 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Both sides end up with different dead ends.

One side believes the creator is the law quantum mechanics where something can comes into existence out of nothing.

The other side believes the creator is a deity.
I would say, instead, both sides end up creating more questions than answers. I don't think either is a dead end...it's just that, when we say "a deity did it" the resulting questions become ones like "How did the deity do it?" or if the deity works beyond logic one of the questions becomes "how can a being work beyond logic?"

Down the other route, there is a similar endless string of questions that I don't see why we'd ever have hope of answering all of.

The difference is...whether or not you see evidence for the deity. Now, if we get into whether or not there is evidence for the deity...I definitely think that wouldn't belong in the space forum. Our current trend...which I kind of started...is probably going too far off on a tangent anyway and I encourage any future posters to get back on the main topic.

Last edited by Clintone; 07-18-2019 at 02:15 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,831,210 times
There's no current way to know, so speculation by laypersons is pointless.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
There's no current way to know, so speculation by laypersons is pointless.
Yeah, but sometimes on these threads we get useful research from professionals...but yeah, speculation by laypersons is 100% useless.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:41 AM

2,257 posts, read 483,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaldude12 View Post
I've read many theories about this issue , but which one do you think is the most plausible theory as to what happened before the Big Bang?

I believe in the 2 membranes colliding theory. The theory states that everytime 2 membranes get together , it creates a Big Bang and a baby universe. The process is endless.
Personally I like the "black hole singularity spawns a new universe" hypothesis because it doesn't require adding an additional hidden factor, like the existence of a second brame.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM

33,708 posts, read 17,275,623 times
The question is meaningless. The BB is the beginning of space/time. One may as well ask what is north of the North Pole.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:11 PM

81 posts, read 20,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Personally I like the "black hole singularity spawns a new universe" hypothesis because it doesn't require adding an additional hidden factor, like the existence of a second brame.

Where would the Singularity have come from though? It couldn't have come from nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or