U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2019, 02:53 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
If you are traveling at FTL, and speeding away from gravitational then what happens? Does time speed up since I am in low gravity or does time slow down because I move fast?
FTL is the same as time travel; you'd be breaking causality and none of the usual rules apply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2019, 03:36 PM

1,502 posts, read 371,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
So if earth rotates or orbits the sun at near light speed, everyone would age very slowly?
If the Earth rotated 'at near light speed' it would fly apart - the centrifugal force would far, far exceed the gravitational attraction holding the planet together.

If the Earth orbited the Sun 'at near light speed' it would fly off into interstellar space - the Solar System's escape velocity from the point of Earth's orbit is well under 1/10th of 1% the speed of light.

Old 08-18-2019, 10:22 AM

2,180 posts, read 737,031 times
I think there is also some confusion in some of these comments about clocks running slow. Remember that, for someone hurtling along at a good percentage of the speed of light, there is absolutely nothing abnormal to them about their environment; everything is just as if they were sitting still. It is ONLY when an outside reference frame, at rest or dramatically slower to the one in motion, comes into play that things get weird. For the outside person, the one in motion has slow clocks. For the person in motion, all is normal in their moving envelope.

Where I find this particularly paradoxical, is that if you look at it the other way, the guy hurtling past could see the stationary observer as the one in motion instead. There might not even be a way to tell who is the more “stationary” reference frame in space given all the motion happening. Do they see each other’s clocks running slow, the same? Say they were both approaching each other at 0.8C and pass an observer at rest to both of them. What does each see of the other two? Just plain weird stuff.

Another example, if a ship traveling towards earth at 0.8C were to launch a missile at us which leaves that ship at 0.8C, the missle would NOT be approaching earth at 1.6C, the combined speeds of the two. It would be approaching earth still at some fraction of C, maybe 0.92 for example. The equations are readily available and you can plug in the values and see.

Also, this is not my field by a long shot, I just find it mind-bendingly fascinating. If I’ve made a mistake in this and anyone has good references for me as to why, I’d enjoy reading them.....assuming I could understand them

Last edited by LesLucid; 08-18-2019 at 10:31 AM..

Old 10-14-2019, 08:12 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
I am still confused about the aging thing. However, this video helps a lot. About 3 minutes into the video, physics professor Clifford J explains the concept of relativity using his bicycle. This illustration might not work for people who are unfamiliar with the use of metaphors, simile, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxAn23ioXhQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or