U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-26-2019, 06:25 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
Reputation: 32216

Advertisements

I'm confused about this craft. The squat shape seems better suited for slow flight or flight in minimal atmospheres, and stainless steel as a construction material is very heavy. Surely this is more than a publicity stunt, yet it doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-26-2019, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Seattle
2,257 posts, read 483,431 times
Reputation: 2126
I'm not fully clear myself, but apparently part of it is the high temperature tolerance of the metal, which allows them to keep re-using it. There is an active cooling component, but only for 20% of the surface. I think stainless steel may also be a little easier to machine than titanium.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2019, 09:16 PM
 
5,811 posts, read 3,577,721 times
Reputation: 7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'm confused about this craft. The squat shape seems better suited for slow flight or flight in minimal atmospheres, and stainless steel as a construction material is very heavy. Surely this is more than a publicity stunt, yet it doesn't make sense.
I thought Starhopper is just the bottom part of the future Starship, but I could be wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2019, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Seattle
2,257 posts, read 483,431 times
Reputation: 2126
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I thought Starhopper is just the bottom part of the future Starship, but I could be wrong?
Yes, from what I read, its for low-altitude testing of components for the future Starship 2nd-stage rocket. In that sense, I suppose it's like an X vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 08:06 PM
 
5,203 posts, read 8,204,697 times
Reputation: 3183
Here's a look at a test from today of the SpaceX Starhopper. The altitude was about 500 feet. Not sure about the distance, but its descent and landing was good.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RziLyL44mSM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 10:29 PM
 
4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
Reputation: 6034
If that thing was hoovering over people, I bet most would call it alien spacecraft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2019, 11:19 PM
 
5,203 posts, read 8,204,697 times
Reputation: 3183
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If that thing was hoovering over people, I bet most would call it alien spacecraft.
I'm sure you're right, especially if they didn't know anything about it. Maybe Musk is an alien?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 12:03 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in northern Alabama
18,511 posts, read 55,435,808 times
Reputation: 32216
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
If that thing was hoovering over people, I bet most would call it alien spacecraft.
I like the idea of a spacecraft that not only operates IN a vacuum, but IS a vacuum that cleans up after itself.

Now for the green version - Electroluxes in space! Complete with disposable dust bags and a wide array of attachments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 08:52 AM
 
5,811 posts, read 3,577,721 times
Reputation: 7123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Here's a look at a test from today of the SpaceX Starhopper. The altitude was about 500 feet. Not sure about the distance, but its descent and landing was good.
Looks like they did the test at their Boca Chica State Park facility in Texas just south of South Padre Island along the Gulf Coast. Too bad it wasn't this Sunday, I'm going to be in that area then, it would have been cool to see in person, from a distance of course!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2019, 01:18 PM
 
4,255 posts, read 8,011,985 times
Reputation: 6034
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I like the idea of a spacecraft that not only operates IN a vacuum, but IS a vacuum that cleans up after itself.

Now for the green version - Electroluxes in space! Complete with disposable dust bags and a wide array of attachments.
I knew you would have fun with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top