U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 04:11 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,401,000 times

Advertisements

The more I become interested in astronomy and learning about astrophysics (on my own interests and terms that is, I'm no PhD), the more I have difficulty with religion and how this all fits in because I'm having trouble with the sheer size of the universe, how the universe and all the various parts were created, whether life existed on Mars in the past, whether life exists elsewhere, how things got started on Earth, galaxies undergoing change, and the list goes on. I've always been interested in astronomy and the Universe but was too busy before and never had the time and money to buy telescope and/or do more research.

I'm not trying to start some religious discussion vs space, but has anyone else gone through this same issue and what points/tips would you have in dealing with this?

Just thinking about the sheer size and information of everything, I also started thinking......I hope I live long enough to get at least some more answers!

Last edited by HouseBuilder328; 08-22-2019 at 04:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2019, 04:25 PM

2,396 posts, read 506,465 times
Many physicists with a religious side choose to lean towards pantheism; God is the universe. This is different from creationism. You might read up on that and see what you think.

Good luck with your astronomy studies; it's been a long time interest of mine, and it never gets old.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:39 PM

537 posts, read 239,108 times
what points/tips would you have in dealing with this?

Be of strong mind & enjoy the hobby. I say 'strong mind' because I lost a friend who wanted to discuss space. He was about 45 yrs. old. When I told him the ISS was closer to earth than Miami is to Tampa he wanted to argue it. "No Way" he said, "it is way out there in space". He then looked it up on his cell phone, 1st his head started shaking then his entire body. Then he got up and left. I think he had a full mental breakdown. I never saw him again after that. His choice. I think I scared him.

So Enjoy all you find and keep everyone posted.

Old 08-22-2019, 04:42 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Many physicists with a religious side choose to lean towards pantheism; God is the universe. This is different from creationism. You might read up on that and see what you think.

Good luck with your astronomy studies; it's been a long time interest of mine, and it never gets old.
Is there a big daddy God in charge of the multiverse, or each universe is its own God?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Is there a big daddy God in charge of the multiverse, or each universe is its own God?
Does it matter?

Old 08-22-2019, 06:30 PM

4,264 posts, read 8,019,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Does it matter?
Without a unifying God, inhabitants of each universe would claim that their universe (God) is the real one. That could lead to universal conflicts.

Old 08-22-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Without a unifying God, inhabitants of each universe would claim that their universe (God) is the real one. That could lead to universal conflicts.
Well that would be a strange universe indeed. But such questions are beyond my comprehension; you'll probably want to take that question to the Religion forum. I'll just stick to science.

Old 08-22-2019, 07:52 PM

18,547 posts, read 55,485,543 times
Not to be facetious, but any larger answers probably lie in a better understanding of entanglement - which has some mind boggling implications. Religions started out very site specific. The "world" was not understood to be a planet in space at the time the religions were created. The "world" was more defined as the range of known kingdoms, plus what could be seen above as a celestial firmament.

Old 08-23-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Not to be facetious, but any larger answers probably lie in a better understanding of entanglement - which has some mind boggling implications.
It seems like there's not really that much we know about entanglement, other than we know it happens. If, for example, space and gravity are emergent phenomenon from entanglement, how do particles know they're near enough to each other to have a high likelihood of entanglement? If there is no actual space, where are the particles mapped from? How are we even going to find out how entanglement happens? Is there an entanglement particle? Is every particle constantly entangled with something else, or is there an on-off mode? How do multiple particles become entangled together? It's weird stuff man.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:28 AM

2,180 posts, read 737,031 times
It is weird stuff, not relatable to our human understanding. WTF is entanglement, two particles conjugate like bacteria, they kiss and exchange saliva, they swap charges (implying similar charges must have unique properties about them)? We don’t even know WHAT it is, just how certain particles will behave when they’ve been associated in certain ways based on observations.

Magnetism is a mystery like this to me as well. Sure we can all talk about the formulas dealing with charges and moving currents etc. but you can hold solid material, with no moving parts, in your hands and feel the pull and attraction. It’s like you’re holding a fundamental force of nature in the palm of your hand and can only just wonder about why it even exists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or