U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM

682 posts, read 284,974 times

Advertisements

In the next three months possibly scientists are going to spread news of dogs and cats being on the Red Planet.
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/mars-aliens
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:20 AM

40,298 posts, read 58,391,293 times
I don't know why humans think that life in Space would resemble life on Earth, "people" in other Galaxies will look like humans, even speak English... Lol.
Flora and fauna would be like on the Earth too.
Perhaps we are overlooking something because we focus on things that are familiar and present on Earth, and evolution is based on knowledge and comprehension?
There is so much we don't know because we didn't experience it or fathom. Do living organisms need oxygen and water? Maybe not...
World, Europe, Texas, Corpus Christi, El Paso, Lubbock, Tyler, Houston, San Antonio, Tallahassee,
Minnesota, Fish, Home Interior Design and Decorating, Science and Technology Forums

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:29 AM

23,159 posts, read 17,455,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post
In the next three months possibly scientists are going to spread news of dogs and cats being on the Red Planet.
https://bigthink.com/surprising-science/mars-aliens
Pareidolia.

But there could possibly be simple forms of life on Mars. Or there may have been at one time.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:44 AM

18,760 posts, read 55,897,290 times
Here we go again. Wake me when the little green lights start lifting off, headed to Earth in giant cookie jars with screw off lids.

Old 11-22-2019, 12:38 AM

13,263 posts, read 3,488,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Pareidolia.

But there could possibly be simple forms of life on Mars. Or there may have been at one time.
Some people believe this is where human beings originated (Mars). There is supposedly proof of this of some kind that exists...I remember listening to an interview and they touched on this very briefly, I will try to look for it again, If I recall correctly, it was like an ancient scroll, written on some kind of fabric that was metallic but thin like paper...I will have to look for that interview again.

Old 11-22-2019, 08:48 AM

77 posts, read 16,129 times
Insects are complex life, composed of tens of millions of specialized cells. Insects, just like people have nervous systems, eyes, digestive tracts, hearts and thus circulation, mouths, reproduce sexually. Mars is a hostile world in that it has no magnetic field that protects the surface of the world from charged particles that originate in the sun. Mars, because of the lack of a magnetic field, has 1/1000 of Earth's atmosphere. That means it is cold on the surface of the Red Planet. Most of what atmosphere there is takes the form of carbon dioxide, CO2. Insects, as we know them, need food and water. That means a food chain which means sustainable resources. Insect life on Mars is an extraordinary claim. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, to quote Carl Sagan.

Absence of proof is not proof of absence. Could there be life on Mars? Yes. I would think that no life will be found on the surface of the planet. I think any life, and that life I think would be simple life no more complex than bacteria ( which can too be complex life), will be found in volcanic vents and tubes that might still have some heat down in the deeps and provide protection from solar radiation.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:10 AM

23,159 posts, read 17,455,689 times
Quote:
Pareidolia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Some people believe this is where human beings originated (Mars). There is supposedly proof of this of some kind that exists...I remember listening to an interview and they touched on this very briefly, I will try to look for it again, If I recall correctly, it was like an ancient scroll, written on some kind of fabric that was metallic but thin like paper...I will have to look for that interview again.
Oh, good grief. I have nothing to do with this nonsense. There may have been, and possibly still is simple life such as bacteria or single cell life on Mars. But the idea that humans originated on Mars is idiotic.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:31 AM

2,280 posts, read 784,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the tiger View Post

Old 11-22-2019, 04:54 PM

4,348 posts, read 8,099,030 times
Quote:
Oh, good grief. I have nothing to do with this nonsense. There may have been, and possibly still is simple life such as bacteria or single cell life on Mars. But the idea that humans originated on Mars is idiotic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panspermia

Mars once had liquid water on the surface. As they say in astronomy, where there is water, there is potential for life. Let's assume for moment that bacteria existed on Mars. Early in the solar system, there were much chaos with asteroids flying everywhere and hitting the moon, earth, and Mars. Some of the impacts were so great that the ejected debris reached escape velocity and traveled to outer space and landed on other planets. Some scientists are floating the idea that life on earth may have been seeded by bacteria-containing rocks from outer space.

If so, Mars is a strong candidate for this, and probably the strongest.

Last edited by davidt1; 11-22-2019 at 05:04 PM..

Old 11-22-2019, 04:58 PM

3,071 posts, read 661,098 times
Good reason to search the Moon for ancient rocks from the other planets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or