Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 01:23 PM

197 posts, read 124,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan13 View Post
I wonder how often the trajectories of satellites will intersect with the trajectory of the hotel? Will adjust the trajectory of satellites when crossing? In theory, this should be easier. With new technologies
Satellites really wouldn't be an issue. This hotel would (I say 'would' because color me highly skeptical) orbit at 250 miles. Satellites live higher because at that altitude there's just too much atmosphere, and the drag degrades an object's orbit too rapidly.

The hotel, were it to actually be launched, would move out of the way of any object on an impacting course. This would be a necessary function because not all satellites have the ability to adjust their orbits, and because space debris - by definition incapable of maneuvering - is far more numerous than functioning satellites. The International Space Station periodically moves out of the way of orbiting space debris. Everything more than a few inches in diameter is tracked by radar and the orbital paths are plotted, so when one threatens to impact the ISS it is known in advance and an avoidance maneuver is undertaken. The same practice would be necessary for this hotel.

And, yes, because this hotel would experience significant atmospheric drag, it would require regular altitude maintenance boosts (just like the ISS does now).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2021, 09:10 AM

10 posts, read 3,499 times
I don't believe that any space hotel will open in 2027. It's too early, scientists and engineers don't have such technology to do it, and people just don't have so much money to spend on space tourism. Do you know who will fund this project? Personally, I don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space