Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM

79 posts, read 226,392 times

Advertisements

Entirely speculative, but I'm wondering what other's thoughts are on this? Admittedly, I initially became interested in this after reading an origins story on Galactus , but eventually moved on to real world theories (I love theoretical physics, just wish I could do the equations -- me and my stupid right sided thinking lol )

Two of the theories I've seen state that the big bang was either the end result of entropy in the previous universe or, we're what came out the other side of a black hole.

We'll probably never entirely know. Good thing I care more about research than end results!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 06:07 PM

948 posts, read 2,791,604 times
I know the entropy thing can't be right since I don't know what it means, and I think we would smell way worse if the other was true.

Old 05-06-2009, 02:03 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
This is a variation of the question asked of Augustine - "What was God doing before he created the universe?" Any answer is going to be less than satisfying, since before there were dimensions there is no easily understood frame of reference. The file cabinet scene in "Men in Black" is as good a theory as many.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:12 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Maybe the Big Bang was a Big Bounce...

Old 05-06-2009, 01:11 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian.Pearson View Post
Maybe the Big Bang was a Big Bounce...

You're right that there are some ideas along that line. One is that the universe goes through regular cycles of expansion and contraction, Big Bang/Big Crunch/Big Bang again/etc.

Another thought involves fluctuating branes that might have merged at some point in such a way as to start a Big Bang, the result of which we see as the universe.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:54 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post

big bang was either the end result of entropy in the previous universe
Interesting to ponder ....so in other words the entire previous universe possibly collapsed onto itself and became super dense of compacted matter and energy which caused it to explode out (Big Bang) to form the universe again ???

Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM

79 posts, read 226,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Interesting to ponder ....so in other words the entire previous universe possibly collapsed onto itself and became super dense of compacted matter and energy which caused it to explode out (Big Bang) to form the universe again ???
That's the theory but it has me wondering: if the universe is in a constant state of blue shift, how can it collapse in on itself? Even if there was a big enough incident of red shift centralized to a certain area of the universe to cause the big bang we'd still see the distant left-overs from the previous one out there.

Unless it was some kind of bizarro universe where everything began spread out and moved closer together over billions of years.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:05 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,634,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Entropy View Post
That's the theory but it has me wondering: if the universe is in a constant state of blue shift, how can it collapse in on itself? Even if there was a big enough incident of red shift centralized to a certain area of the universe to cause the big bang we'd still see the distant left-overs from the previous one out there.

Unless it was some kind of bizarro universe where everything began spread out and moved closer together over billions of years.

I'm not so sure we'd necessarily see distant left-overs from a previous universe. Part of the reason is that if the entire universe collapses in on itself there'd be nothing left. No space. No light. No time. Essentially nothing would remain, except what ever exists in a so-called point of infinite density. Admittedly, I have a problem with what constitutes something being truly infinite though.

Regardless, if the universe reverted itself back to say the Planck Level (or even something even smaller), perhaps a certain set of modulations could merge that could cause a new universe to form if the conditions are just right. That could most likely be a hit or miss event. Probably more misses than hits, but all it would take is one hit to make it all happen again. In other words, the universe just vanishes completely at the Planck Level (or whatever) until certain conditions at that level come together just right that would result in another Big Bang with another new universe. But there are still all kinds of other possibilities as well.

Does that make any sense? LOL!

Old 05-06-2009, 06:44 PM

492 posts, read 961,907 times
I would go with the Big Bang/Big Crunch, the whole event being a function of a God sine wave.

What is God? E=mc(sq)

What was God doing before the Big Bang? Crunches.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:48 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,130,330 times
Well if we throw in dark matter and dark energy, it might work as a big bounce. Otherwise, I doubt it's workable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space